SASS Wire Forum

Alec Baldwin charged

Tex Jones, SASS 2263

1 hour ago, Chantry said:

I'll note that Hannah Gutierrez Reed is the daughter of Thell Reed:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thell_Reed

I went to high school with Thell Reed. Used to go over to his house to watch him practice "quick draw" , which he was one of the fastest in the world back then. He has been involved in the film industry for many, many years. 

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Aljhanon said:

He’s just as a liable as a drunk driver who “accidentally” kills some. Negligent homicide.

So is that your real SASS number?

2 hours ago, Denali Drifter said:

I haven't seen where the charges went through a grand jury, so there will have to be a preliminary hearing.  The only two ways for charging in NM are through a grand jury (where if a true bill is returned, then it goes directly to a jury trial) or a preliminary hearing before a magistrate court judge after the DA files charges.  The standard for the preliminary hearing is the same as the grand jury, probable cause.  Probable cause means there is evidence that a crime has been committed and that the accused committed the crime.  Probable cause does not require proof beyond a reasonable doubt.  Grand juries are done in secret.  Preliminary hearings are open to the public.  The magistrate court judge conducts a mini-bench trial, and the defense attorney can cross-examine the witnesses.  The DA can present all the evidence in the world of guilt, but the magistrate judge can dismiss the charges as he/she wishes.  Magistrate court is where politically difficult or high profile cases go to die.  Unless Baldwin or Gutierrez-Reed waives the preliminary hearing (which would be stupid), watch for this case to die there.  

Are you a lawyer or Law enforcement? Just wondering here................

4 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I think it would be a nice gesture if Alec Baldwin fell on a sword over this thing.
Hell, I’ll buy the sword for him. 

Can I beat the edges flat first?

Something that hasn't been mentioned much, was that the AD Dave Halls who pled guilty and is getting no jail time, was already fired from another film set (Freedom’s Path) for a NEGLIGENT discharge which injured a crew member. 

Once is bad, but twice????

'Rust' assistant director Dave Halls fired from past gig over another 'unexpected' gun discharge (nypost.com)

16 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

"Accidents"  are the opposite of intent, as to the production of injury. The fact that negligence is present doesn't mean it's not an accident, it means the actor fell below the expended standard of care with the result that an unintended injury to somebody occurred.

Most automobile accidents involve negligence. They are still accidents. If there can be no accidents with firearms, there can't be accidents with cars or any other instrumentality.

Finally some common sense.

15 hours ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

In interviews before the filming of this movie Baldwin boasted that when you hire him for a movie one of the skill sets he brings to the table is firearm and firearms handling expertise. Of course he was also a producer and actor on this one.

If it goes to trial I bet the prosecution will want to play that video.

1 hour ago, Denali Drifter said:

A lawyer who began his trade as a prosecutor a few hours south of Santa Fe

Cool! Thanks!

I thought maybe you just watched a lot of Law and Order or Perry Mason :P:lol:

My crystal ball is a little fuzzy on the outcome, however, I don't like Alec Baldwin and I hope this gives him ulcers and many sleepless nights.  i also hope that he gets "cancelled" by the very Hollywood bunch that he aspires to be.  

3 hours ago, WOLFY said:

who is advising him - does he not realize how ignorant this statement makes him appear?

24331ECC-B111-453C-9881-035715F1B804.jpeg

Ignorant statements are one of the things he’s famous for. He’s been doing it his entire life, why would he stop now.

There was a criminal prosecutor on Fox this morning that says he should be charged with criminal negligence since he was the executive producer. Hmmmm.....I'm not a lawyer and never played one on TV so I'm just passing on what I heard!  

6 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

There was a criminal prosecutor on Fox this morning that says he should be charged with criminal negligence since he was the executive producer. Hmmmm.....I'm not a lawyer and never played one on TV so I'm just passing on what I heard!  

the production saved money by hiring an inexperienced armorer and pushing her to also work as a prop dept assistant.

closing off the set (due to covid precautions) and not including the armorer as essential personnel should be addressed as well.

if either of these decisions involved him as a producer, i can definitely see him catching a criminal negligence charge.

• 5 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, PowderRiverCowboy said:

Alec Baldwin scores win in 'Rust' fatal shooting case as DA drops firearm enhancement

Alec Baldwin scores win in 'Rust' fatal shooting case as DA drops firearm enhancement (msn.com)

Money talks...as usual.

38 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Money talks...as usual.

No.  While I despise the POS, the firearm enhancement law they charged him with did not exist when the shooting occurred.  

Interesting, the MAX JAIL TIME is only 18 months IF someone

deviates "from known standards, practice and protocol directly caused the fatal death of Hutchins," ...

and

"By not receiving the required training on firearms, not checking the firearm with the armorer, letting the armorer leave the firearms in the church without being present, deviating from the practice of only accepting the firearm from the armorer, not dealing with the safety complaints on set and/or making sure safety meetings were held, putting his finger on the trigger of a real firearm when a replica or rubber gun should have been used, pointing the firearms at Hutchins and Souza, and the overall handling of the firearms in a negligent manner, Baldwin acted with willful disregard for the safety of others and in a manner which endangered other people, specifically Hutchins and Souza."

Sounds like his lawyers are doing a good job. The prosecutor's statements upon the dismissal of the firearms enhancement are silly.

The linked article, and other articles I've read, make it pretty clear that he was charged under a statute not in effect at the time of the shooting. A bush league error.

Even without this, the enhancement claim seemed far-fetched. The base charge is involuntary manslaughter, the facts being negligent mishandling of a firearm on a movie set. A firearms enhancement for a negligent firearms discharge sounded dubious from the beginning.

I saw a report that B's attorneys claims the charge was unconstitutional. I thought this was a ploy to stretch out appeals well beyond B's expected lifetime.

But if it is true the law did not exist at the time of the infraction, I must agree he can not be charged with the enhancement.

Under valid state law, I now understand he could still serve 18 months.

Recognizing that the interest in the case, including mine, outstrips its significance, I am not impressed by the prosecutors.

They charge Baldwin for enhancement under a statute passed post-incident. This is a bonehead move. Then when his lawyers point out in court the problem, the prosecutor dismisses the enhancement charge, but issues a foolish statement about Baldwin's 'big city, big money' lawyers.

Low class. For one thing, those lawyers just got a 5-year minimum sentence possibility knocked out, and got some good PR for the client, too. Sounds like they are earning their pay. But then, I'm a lawyer and I see it that way!

• 1 month later...
On 1/20/2023 at 7:09 AM, PowderRiverCowboy said:

Trial in Liberal SanteFe NM , trial will be a circus as its to appease some , found not guilty because of liberal Jury becuase guns kill people dont . There I said it thats my prediction  , He will them push on how bad guns are.

Well called that on wont even go to trial;
Alec Baldwin's criminal charges for fatal 'Rust' shooting to be dropped: lawyers
Alec Baldwin's criminal charges for fatal 'Rust' shooting to be dropped: lawyers | Fox News

I have not been following this.  Does anyone know if he will/could be vulnerable to a civil lawsuit?  Or has that already been settled?

40 minutes ago, PowderRiverCowboy said:

Well called that on wont even go to trial;
Alec Baldwin's criminal charges for fatal 'Rust' shooting to be dropped: lawyers
Alec Baldwin's criminal charges for fatal 'Rust' shooting to be dropped: lawyers | Fox News

Definitely a multi tier justice system. If it was just some normal working person they would have been in prison already 

20 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

I have not been following this.  Does anyone know if he will/could be vulnerable to a civil lawsuit?  Or has that already been settled?

There could be additional civil lawsuits filed, but 

Alec Baldwin reaches settlement with Halyna Hutchins’ family

Alec Baldwin reaches settlement with Halyna Hutchins' family | CNN

44 minutes ago, PowderRiverCowboy said:

Yet 

Armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed who was not on set (actually told not to be due to "Covid") was charged with involuntary manslaughter, and

Assistant Director Dave Halls accepted a plea deal.

Clearly, money equals justice? 

Somehow I knew she was going to take the fall.:mellow: If she put the live round in the gun, she is partially responsible, but he's the POS that pointed a gun at a person & pulled the trigger.

On 1/19/2023 at 12:16 PM, Cypress Sun said:

Here's how I see this working out...

Rich actor, Alec Baldwin, gets a token fine, small community service of some type and still is free to make movies involving HIS handling of firearms...even though he just killed someone doing the exact same thing.

Not so rich supposed armorer, Reed, will be heavily fined, imprisoned, face many years of probation and be forever banned from handling firearms of any type.

I will agree with Reeds punishment, not Baldwin's. 

Pretty much called the Baldwin part. We'll see about Reed.

Sometimes I wish I were a witch. I would put a whammy on that Baldwin POS. Every time he’d hear or say the words “and”, “hello”, “bye”, “but”,“please”, “thank”, “you” and “Republican” he would get the feeling of being stung by by a hornet in a different place on his body, but at least once a day in his groin for being who he is. 

I just can not square how I am responsible for every round I send downrange (I am responsible, no question) and somehow Baldwin is not. Nor can I square how someone who did not send the round downrange is responsible for someone who did do so.

The dismissal of the charges against Baldwin at this point is without prejudice. I'd bet they won't be refiled. The dismissal came because of numerouns prosecutorial misteps that they suggest ran them up against time contraints they couldn't meet, according the NYTimes article.  That sort of thing will cast any refiling under serious scrutiny by the court.

The prosecutors in that county have been bush league all the way. A big one was charging him under a law that was not in effect at the time of the incident. In 45 years of law practice, I never saw that one. And in a high-profile case, no less.

3 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

The dismissal of the charges against Baldwin at this point is without prejudice. I'd bet they won't be refiled. The dismissal came because of numerouns prosecutorial misteps that they suggest ran them up against time contraints they couldn't meet, according the NYTimes article.  That sort of thing will cast any refiling under serious scrutiny by the court.

The prosecutors in that county have been bush league all the way. A big one was charging him under a law that was not in effect at the time of the incident. In 45 years of law practice, I never saw that one. And in a high-profile case, no less.

Unfortunately that is exactly correct.:angry:

Archived