SASS Wire Forum

Full size revolver makers vs Pocket Pistol revolver makers

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

I find it interesting how, back in the day we pretend to play in, most makers of revolvers either made full size revolvers, or pocket pistols.   Very few made both, at least not among the "big name" makers.

Let's go down the list....

Colt of course made full size revolvers.   They did make a few things we could call pocket revolvers, but it was not their mainstay.
Smith and Wesson made both.
Marlin only made pocket.
Merwin & Hulbert made both.  But can we call them one of the major players?
Iver Johnson, Harrington and Richardson and countless others only made pocket guns.
Remington only made full size revolvers.  They did of course make their derringer, but that's not what were talking about.  Eventually they got out of the pistol business anyway.

Anyway, I have always wondered why most of the makers seemed to go one way or the other, and not try their hand at both.  

Anybody else ever wonder about that?

5 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Remington only made full size revolvers.  They did of course make their derringer, but that's not what were talking about.  Eventually they got out of the pistol business anyway.

Beginning in the 1870s, Remington marketed a new line of small revolvers. They often have been erroneously named Remington New Line Revolvers, even though Remington catalogs marketed them as the Remington-Smoot New Model Revolvers or the Smoot’s Patent New Models.

SOURCE

Example of Remington Smoot .30 rimfire:

Rem Smoot .30RF  (wire).jpg

Remington also made a Pocket model .31 percussion revolver (1863)

Rem 1863 pocket .31 (wire).jpg

24 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Ah, I did not know about those.   Thanks to PaleWolf posting.  

The statement kinda jumped out at me as I have both of those models. B)

Archived