SASS Wire Forum

Lyman Ideal rifles?

Cyrus Cassidy #45437

Lyman used to make an "Ideal" rifle that was pretty much a spoof of the venerable Sharps.  After my recent range day with the Sharps, I have a bug to go shooting all kinds of black powder cartridges, but Sharps rifles are **REALLY** expensive (mine is a Shiloh).  I think plinking with a .38-55 or .40-60 would be rather entertaining on my club's steel gong range which goes out to 600 yards, but I don't want to pay for another Sharps!

I can't seem to find these Ideal rifles anywhere.  Did they quit making them?

I don’t think Lyman makes the Ideal any more. 

You might want to look at the Chiappa “Little Sharps” in 38-55. 

https://www.chiappafirearms.com/family.php?id=30

Or do what I did and buy the Shiloh. Yes, it is a sweet shooter. 

6 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

Or do what I did and buy the Shiloh. Yes, it is a sweet shooter. 

I already have one, pard!  Sure I'd love another one, too, but lately I've been on a kick buying Civil War firearms and earlier.  Those each cost about as much as a Sharps!

The scaled down Lyman Ideal was made for them by Chiappa, who also made the Half Pint for Taylors and the Little Sharps for Charles Daly. I think Pedersoli also built one they called the Little Betsy. I bought a Chiappa .22 locally in 2021. It came with a 3x Malcolm scope, but I put an MVA tang sight on instead. When they do turn up, they're not exactly cheap. Less than my Shiloh by a fair measure, but really not far removed from a full size Pedersoli (pictured). A Chiappa .22 went for $1280, shipped, about six weeks ago on Gunbroker, and a .44-40 for $1635, shipped.

A Big Sandy/Dakota Arms Little Sharps, which were also made in .22 or .38-55, plus nine other cartridges, was just on Gunbroker for $3650. A shirttail relative of mine, Aaron Pursley, was one of the two founder/owners of BSLS, and yet I've only actually held one single rifle in my hands, a .38-55 owned by a Cowboy shooter here. They were completely hand made, finished, and engraved "in house", and I think total production was only around a hundred rifles, plus another handful after Dakota Arms bought the company.

LittleSharpsHiRes.thumb.jpg.43220a9ab5fb3bf17c5be68e4e7c978d.jpgLittleSharps.thumb.jpg.4b82547707e9a628be644b9f920beaad.jpg

The Lyman Minnie Sharps in .38-55 has to slow a twist rate to handle bullets much heavier than 265 Gr. 

And it is pretty light...

Jabez Cowboy 

17 hours ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

Lyman used to make an "Ideal" rifle that was pretty much a spoof of the venerable Sharps.  After my recent range day with the Sharps, I have a bug to go shooting all kinds of black powder cartridges, but Sharps rifles are **REALLY** expensive (mine is a Shiloh).  I think plinking with a .38-55 or .40-60 would be rather entertaining on my club's steel gong range which goes out to 600 yards, but I don't want to pay for another Sharps!

I can't seem to find these Ideal rifles anywhere.  Did they quit making them?

I don’t know about new but I am watching one in 38/55 on gunbroker right now so they are out there.

11 hours ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

I already have one, pard!  Sure I'd love another one, too, but lately I've been on a kick buying Civil War firearms and earlier.  Those each cost about as much as a Sharps!

Don’t you hate it when hobbies compete for your disposable income?

I already had a Shiloh too before the 38-55.  A Hartford in 45-110. Still have it. 

Prior to that I had a Pedersoli in 45-70. Sold it even though it was the most accurate of the three. 

Hi. My name is Dan. I’m a Sharps-aholic.

Archived