SASS Wire Forum

Differences between hammered shotguns

Sleepy Floyd

There may be others that use that name, but primarily:  The Doc Holiday is what Cimarron calls the Pedersoli hammer gun, and Wyatt Earp is what Taylors calls it.  And I think you can get it from either company without those names stamped on it (which is what I would want).  Additionally, what EMF calls their current 1878 may be the same gun as well.

many hammered doubles have most of the workings inside the receiver.  The Doc Holiday type essentially have two musket style locks on the sides.  I had one and the trigger pull was off the scale.  I have worked on musket type locks for over 30 years and was able to get them down to about 3 Lb. each.  In short the tumbler had a little ridge on the face of the full cock notch that the sear had to get past to trip the hammer.  Once I got rid of the ridge and re-hardened the tumbler it worked great.

Hey Nickel City,

Are you calling traditional hammer side locks "musket style" locks? In my (questionable) experience, most hammer doubles have side locks. A few (older Remingtons and very few others) have the hammers in the receiver. I have 3 hammer guns of different makes and vintages and all have side locks. Feel free to chime in and educate me.

Floyd, you have one of the best hammered doubles for Cowboy Action, the CZ.  If they were still available I would rather shoot the TTN [Cimarron 1878}

J.M.

Archived