SASS Wire Forum

Latest on Trail Boss from Thales in Australia

Major Crimes

I got this email from Thales (ADI parent company) today.

2205 is the powder I use in my Sharps, its similar to Accurate 5477

Bolding and underline was done by me.

Hi Tony,

2205 will be manufactured in Q3 this year.

We had some quality issues with the batch we manufactured last year which has caused the delay.

Unfortunately we have no plans to manufacture TB in 2023

Kind regards

Sales Manager
Australian Munitions

The Thales Australia Centre, WTC Northbank Wharf, 18 - 38 Atrium Lobby Level, Siddeley Street
Melbourne, VIC 3000
Australia

My understanding is that unless they reformulate the powder it is (and will be) illegal for "Australian Munitions" to make it in Australia. It isn't just Trail Boss, but several Australian made powders.

There was a strong rumor that they were going to license the formula out to another company to make it in the United States in late 2023/24 timeframe. Don't know if this is still progressing.

Here is a table from Hodgdon that shows what powders are ADI sourced. 

Hodgdon Equivalents for ADI Powder Codes « Daily Bulletin (accurateshooter.com)

AS30N=Clays
AP50N = (No Hodgdon)
AS50N = International
AP70N = Universal
AP100 = (No Hodgdon)
AR2205 = H4227
AR2207 = H4198
AR2219 = H322
Bench Mark1 = (No Hodgdon)
Bench Mark2 = BenchMarkAR2206 = (No Hodgdon)
AR2206H = H4895
AR2208 = Varget
AR2209 = H4350
AR2213 = (Discontinued)
AR2213SC = H4831
AR2217 = H1000
AR2225 = Retumbo
AR2218 = H50BMG

On 1/20/2023 at 12:19 AM, Buckshot Sheridan said:

Keeping an eye out for H4895 to reappear. 

Midway listed  it as in stock yesterday.

• 3 weeks later...

Every powder is a rather unique chemical blend, and Trail Boss has:

Diphenylamine
Dibutyl phthalate
2-nitrodiphenylamine
4-nitrodiphenylamine

Of those 4 chemicals, the one on the radar is Dibutyl phthalate, David Suzuki lists it as one of the dirty dozen, and is seeking to ban it. 

That could be a reason that it may not be made again. I don't think for the most part we appreciate the complexities that go into making smokeless powders. And my pay grade isn't high enough to even pronounce some of those chemical names. 

BB

2 minutes ago, "Big Boston" said:

Every powder is a rather unique chemical blend, and Trail Boss has:

Diphenylamine
Dibutyl phthalate
2-nitrodiphenylamine
4-nitrodiphenylamine

Of those 4 chemicals, the one on the radar is Dibutyl phthalate, David Suzuki lists it as one of the dirty dozen, and is seeking to ban it. 

That could be a reason that it may not be made again. I don't think for the most part we appreciate the complexities that go into making smokeless powders. And my pay grade isn't high enough to even pronounce some of those chemical names. 

BB

Besides smokeless powders, dibutyl phthalate is used an a lot of different products. In total there are 6 different phthalates and REACH has listed 4 of them for significant reduction or outright ban.

What put them on the radar for the folks behind the REACH standard is their use in the plastics a lot of children's toys are made from. In 2019 the REACH restrictions were expanded from children's toys to a long list of products.

• 2 months later...

Yes, people are actually paying $300 plus a pound for Trail Boss.  A recent gunbroker auction for two 9 oz cans ended at $866 plus shipping and hazmat fees with 36 bids.   There are several completed auctions that sold for $200 a can or more.  I took several cans to the Tulsa gun show and priced them at $150 per 9 oz can and sold six cans.  It all went to guys shooting suppressed  subsonic 30 caliber rifles. 

16 minutes ago, Jack Spade said:

Yes, people are actually paying $300 plus a pound for Trail Boss.  A recent gunbroker auction for two 9 oz cans ended at $866 plus shipping and hazmat fees with 36 bids.   There are several completed auctions that sold for $200 a can or more.  I took several cans to the Tulsa gun show and priced them at $150 per 9 oz can and sold six cans.  It all went to guys shooting suppressed  subsonic 30 caliber rifles. 

:o Wow!  I was still using TB last reloading session. Guess I'll save what's left for other loads and switch back to Clays for my cowboy rounds.  Only a couple pounds left.

BTW I have another discontinued powder in higher quantities than my TB stash.  Is Winchester AA Lite a highly desirable powder at gun shows?

All you had to say is that some "greenie" is trying to get something banned because it destroys the environment and that will explain a lot.

Surprised we are not all dead already from fast food and sodas. Aye :o

I thought alot had to do with demand for H4350 and Retumbo from ADI.  Huge amounts of that get used for PRS and ELR. When im using ~60GR of Retumbo its for a 'light' and when its more often ~130gr the stuff goes fast and is pricey.

But with trail boss when we look at case fill and performance at that cost might as well shoot holy black instead. I hope it comes back sometime.

I think we are going to see alot of powders go just to reduce product line. IMR 4451 comes to mind and I am uncertain of fate of IMR4350.

So, I've got an unopened bottle of Trail Boss.  I've been thinking maybe I need an SKB.  Even trade? :)

Anybody remember those cute little 1.5 oz sample bottles of TB that Hodgdon gave out when it was new?  I got a couple of those at Mule Camp.

There certainly hasn't been any positive news from ADI about pistol powders let alone TB!

As far as ridiculous price gouging, the worst that I've seen for TB was $1300Aust! The worst that I've paid for an unopened 1.5kg tub has been $600Aust! With a recent trade for another full tub, I  have enough to run 45-70 light loads in my H&R for Pat Gar matches, for a fair while. 

That said though a lot of CAS folks here are running critically low on pistol powders.

I met a few shooters at a recent comp who are buying slabs of 12ga factory to cut down and reclaim powder for their 38Spl loads. 

Seems you folks in the US are doing better than us in that regard! 

1 hour ago, Texas Jack Black said:

So before TB no one shot SASS.;)

No.   But it IS a very flexible powder that can be used in everything from .32S&W to .45-70 Government.   It is even useful in making low power/recoil loads for things like .30-'06 and other bottlenecked cartridges.   

If I were to come across some, for a REASONABLE price, I'd use if for the rifle cartridges for now, as there are other powders that can be used for pistol cartridges quite well.  (Currently using HP-38/Win 231, for example).   But if, and hopefully when, it gets back to regular production, I'll switch back to using it for everything again, after I run out of the other stuff.

On 4/21/2023 at 9:44 AM, Rattler said:

Wow, and I've got 5 lbs. that I'm getting ready to sell. I have no idea what to ask for it.

$1500 comes to mind.

Why not?

Archived