SASS Wire Forum

Where Do I Start? How to Improve the Most When You First Start in CAS

Sedalia Dave

A couple of thoughts from someone relatively new (two years) and hitting a wall, score/time wise:

Because of weakness in my right wrist, I don't load over the top.  I stage  the shotgun left side up (ejection port down) picking it up with my left hand just in front of the receiver, while grabbing two shells with my right hand.  Generally this has me pulling the trigger with my right ring finger while I hold the second shell with my thumb and first two fingers.  This usually works for me, but inevitably I will drop at least one shell in a five stage match.  

My biggest issue seems to be pistol accuracy.  I usually end up with 2-3 misses over the targets, particularly close in targets (2-3 yards) that I am shooting down at.  Most often this is one the 4th or 5th shot from a gun.

Rifle is not a big problem (I will never be able to make a 73 sound like a submachine gun like some shooters I know) as I have pretty much given up lever gun and shoot "Cody Dixon" single shot if the club offers it,  When I do shoot lever gun I seem to have trouble holding the rifle on target when cycling the action and have to pick up the sight picture again for each shot.  

Getting discouraged that I don't seem to be improving.

Any thoughts?

Many shooters miss targets much lower than them.  Try practicing with another shooter watching where your shots land.  Then you can make corrections.  Regarding the rifle, Long Hunter taught one should dry fire at postem notes stuck to a wall and learn to stay on target as you double tap.  Learn where your speed limit is.  

Another helpful hint is be as close to next gun as possible. If moving left to right, start as far to the right with first gun as stage will allow. Then you are not taking extra steps to next gun. If possible move in direction of next gun while reloading shotgun or switching pistols. Every step = 1 second! 

5 hours ago, Doc Holloman said:

A couple of thoughts from someone relatively new (two years) and hitting a wall, score/time wise:

Because of weakness in my right wrist, I don't load over the top.  I stage  the shotgun left side up (ejection port down) picking it up with my left hand just in front of the receiver, while grabbing two shells with my right hand.  Generally this has me pulling the trigger with my right ring finger while I hold the second shell with my thumb and first two fingers.  This usually works for me, but inevitably I will drop at least one shell in a five stage match.  

My biggest issue seems to be pistol accuracy.  I usually end up with 2-3 misses over the targets, particularly close in targets (2-3 yards) that I am shooting down at.  Most often this is one the 4th or 5th shot from a gun.

Rifle is not a big problem (I will never be able to make a 73 sound like a submachine gun like some shooters I know) as I have pretty much given up lever gun and shoot "Cody Dixon" single shot if the club offers it,  When I do shoot lever gun I seem to have trouble holding the rifle on target when cycling the action and have to pick up the sight picture again for each shot.  

Getting discouraged that I don't seem to be improving.

Any thoughts?

These are all very common problems and all have a remedy.

If you are looking for great two from the right technique, there are a great deal of good shooters who use this to load their 97. Deuce Stevens has a bunch of great videos explaining the technique as well as Widder. It is a very effective way to shoot the 97 and some argue, faster than four over the top. I would recommend doing some dry fire practice and using the Point Practice Technique I refer to in the blog. It will help you gain perfect muscle memory and lessen your droipped shells. We all drop shells from time to time, it is part of the game.

When you have these misses, where do they typically miss the target? Pay  attention or ask the spotter where the miss was. High left, low left, center high, etc. If the misses are consistently in the same sport, it can help you diagnose the problem. The most common is removing your finger from the trigger between shots and then slapping it when you shoot the next shoot. This will usually cause your missed to be low left for right handed shooters. Learn where the reset on your trigger is and learn how to release the trigger to just past it so that the next follow up shoot can be a very smooth press straight back. Trigger finger placement can also be an issue. It would take someone to watch you shoot to diagnose the specific problem. 

It sounds like you are not applying enough back pressure on your rifle. Back pressure is when you pull the front of your rifle straight back in to your shoulder. This allows you to cycle the gun faster and keep the rifle on target. An easy way to fix this, is to reach as far out on the forend as is comfortable which will naturally cause you to pull the rifle into your shoulder with more force. 

To properly diagnose the issues, someone will need to watch you shoot and give suggestions. Find someone at your matches that would be willing to mentor you. They can give you advice based on what they see.  

I hope this helps. We all hit plateaus. It is natural. Just keep on working and you will figure it out. 

On 1/18/2023 at 7:53 PM, Sedalia Dave said:

Something every shooter should read

Where Do I Start? How to Improve the Most When You First Start in CAS

By the

The Outlaw Travis James

Thanks @The Outlaw Travis James, very well done.

Thanks for reposting.

6 hours ago, Lawdog Dago Dom said:

The camera does not lie.

Have someone video you shooting.

You will see things you didn't know you were doing as you run through a stage.

I shot on the same posse as Abilene this past weekend, but I guess he doesn't find me photogenic enough to video.  LOL. 

Or... gawd forbid, you let yourself be comfortable with whatever level you attain and enjoy the blessing of being able to be out amongst folks that are enjoying themselves also!  Life's too short to stress over hobbies!  Yes, I've quit trying to shoot every stage in exactly 60 seconds, and am letting myself shoot at whatever comfortable speed catch happens on any particular stage!  If you don't have oodles of time to practice... so why worry!  Show up, help out, shoot, do a little socializing!  

On 1/19/2023 at 7:28 PM, The Outlaw Travis James said:

When you have these misses, where do they typically miss the target? Pay  attention or ask the spotter where the miss was. High left, low left, center high, etc. If the misses are consistently in the same sport, it can help you diagnose the problem. The most common is removing your finger from the trigger between shots and then slapping it when you shoot the next shoot. This will usually cause your missed to be low left for right handed shooters. Learn where the reset on your trigger is and learn how to release the trigger to just past it so that the next follow up shoot can be a very smooth press straight back. Trigger finger placement can also be an issue. It would take someone to watch you shoot to diagnose the specific problem. 

Typically high.  If the target sequence progression is left to right then usually high right,  and vice versa.   Very aggravating when shooting 18 inch plates five feet away.  

I'm shooting SASS New Vaqueros with the Montado style hammers so my cocking motion is generally straight down with the thumb.  I do find I am releasing the trigger completely between shots, probably as a reaction to a couple of occasions early one when I let off a shot early befoe I had the gun on target.  I'm shooting very light loads (125 gr in front of 2.6 gr of Titegroup) so recoil is almost non existent. 

On 1/19/2023 at 7:28 PM, The Outlaw Travis James said:

These are all very common problems and all have a remedy.

If you are looking for great two from the right technique, there are a great deal of good shooters who use this to load their 97. Deuce Stevens has a bunch of great videos explaining the technique as well as Widder. It is a very effective way to shoot the 97 and some argue, faster than four over the top. I would recommend doing some dry fire practice and using the Point Practice Technique I refer to in the blog. It will help you gain perfect muscle memory and lessen your droipped shells. We all drop shells from time to time, it is part of the game.

Man, I watch those videos and they go so fast I can't see what they are doing. Some of those videos they are firing faster than I can with a fully stoked shotgun. Wish I could see how they are holding the shells in the right hand. I don't have a place to live fire practice with the shotgun so have to settle for my garage with dummy shells. 

Videos of 12 second stages are entertaining but provide little info on the mechanics of being proficient through a stage.

Dead Eye Dillard has a nice assortment of "How To" videos on YouTube, as do others.

Here is a sample.

19 minutes ago, Lawdog Dago Dom said:

Videos of 12 second stages are entertaining but provide little info on the mechanics of being proficient through a stage.

Dead Eye Dillard has a nice assortment of "How To" videos on YouTube, as do others.

Cant seem to find one on the 97, though. 

You can slow the speed of the videos down to 1/2 or 1/4 speed and watch the technique.  VERY helpful!

Archived