SASS Wire Forum

Uberti rifle screws fore grip/band

Fallon Kid

I’m sure this has been covered 15 ways from Sunday but I feel important. This is about the front band and/or fore grip screws on Uberti 73 rifles. This message is specifically for an 1866 Yellow boy Uberti. I recently bought this 66 from a fellow pard on SASS. I’m happy with the gun. I shot about 60 BP 45s through it and started a 100% disassembly, both for cleaning and check for any surprises. The front band screw would not budge. Tried the liquid wrench, heat etc. I left it at my local gunsmith to see if he could get it out. I was anticipating the front band and screw would not survive so ordered a new band and hardened screw from VTI. Well just got gun back and to no surprise the front band and screw complete loss.

The point of all this frontier gibberish is I would recommend any Uberti rifle you pick up to immediately check these screws to determine if they will release. If they do, might reinstall with a dab of anti seize. Why I recommend this is I have 4 other 73’s and 3 of the four had to have new screws as they took a hit being extracted. Recommend getting hardened screws which are about 2 bucks more. Also I think it prudent to know your gun can be disassembled and all parts removable before you have a problem and need to work on it and not a compound problem.        Thanksfrontband.thumb.jpg.dd0cc151c1f32d3606c24021e11da33a.jpg

Yep, complete screw removal and replacement with a hardened set is what I do on all the Ubertis I buy, and started doing this in 2006.   Include cleaning and lubing the magazine tube, spring and follower too.  The soft screws and tight torques used at the factory, combined with long shipping/storage times, leads to frozen screws.

good luck, GJ

6 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Yep, complete screw removal and replacement with a hardened set is what I do on all the Ubertis I buy, and started doing this in 2006.   Include cleaning and lubing the magazine tube, spring and follower too.  The soft screws and tight torques used at the factory, combined with long shipping/storage times, leads to frozen screws.

good luck, GJ

Wise words here!

Have not seen  copper anti-seize but guess what's on my list next time in town (Reno) Thanks.

"Can't be timid when flipping eggs"

Okay, here's the other side of that coin.  Most folks with Ubertis know that the screws are very tight to start with, and that barrel band screw seems to be the worst offender.  Various techniques including an impact driver can help, but not on that one screw.  I have 3 '73 carbines, all are 20+ years old.  I have never had any reason to take the barrel band off.  With those 3 carbines, plus 3 other Uberti rifles, I have only had to replace maybe 3 screws (all were lever and carrier screws on the bottom.  Stripped the slot on two and one broke in use).  Every time I have broken loose a factory screw, they always come out easier next time and I've never bought a hardened screw.  Am I lazy or efficient?  I don't know, but if it ain't broke, I ain't gonna fix it.  IMO.

I put in the hard screws because I like to use enough torque when reassembling guns to match what US made guns use.   So I don't have to baby my Italian guns when doing deep cleaning.  If I use "normal" torque on re-installed Uberti factory screws, I will twist through the slot about half the time, even when I use a magna-tip thin bit closely matching the slot.

good luck, GJ

PLUS ONE for Abilene you betcha.

Regards the barrel band/screw one Uberti Carbines, in 20 years working on CAS rifles I never found ONE could be simply removed.    Every one totally seized.  All had to be drilled out and the one pictured here was drilled out the wrong way.  Anyway, when you remove the barrel band on a Uberti Carbine, you WILL have to replace it and the screw.  Order up the new parts first.

Archived