SASS Wire Forum

CBC 44W

Frontier Lone Rider

I primarily shoot 44-40 with black powder.  While cleaning my brass I found several pieces of CBC 44W Brass mixed in with my brass.  My RCBS Cowboy Dies do not like this brass.

Is this really 44-40 brass?

There is currently some for sell on Gun Broker listed as 44-40 brass.

What is it about that brass that your dies don't like?  I've seen a few, but I only use Winchester or Starline (or BHA which is Starline) for 44wcf.  But I've loaded a fair amount of CBC .38 Spcl brass and it is thicker than most.

Had some yerars ago. Th ey would not load reliably in all my guns. Miked the cases and they were thicker than any other  brands I had on hand, Winchester, Starline and Remington. Therefor loaded ammo was too fat. Threw them away. Lifes too short.

I bought some factory ammo that came in CBC brass.  I’m pretty sure the ammo had .427/.428 bullets.  The ammo ran fine but when I reloaded the cases (RCBS Cowboy dies with a .429 expander and .430 bullets (my barrel slugged at .429) they would not chamber.  Thicker case neck walls may be the reason.

I hate CBC 44-40 brass.

If I run into trouble while loading a round, it's usually a CBC 44-40.

I usually toss it in the recycle bin.

--Dawg

I had to apply a lot more pressure to get them through my RCBS Cowboy Resizing Die.  Then I started sorting them out of my used brass mix.  I have a baggy full, some of which I have already loaded.  I do not plan to reload any more of these.

Now to pull the already loaded ones apart to recover the bullet and powder.  I am not sure I will go for the primer.

FLR

1 hour ago, Frontier Lone Rider said:

I had to apply a lot more pressure to get them through my RCBS Cowboy Resizing Die.  Then I started sorting them out of my used brass mix.  I have a baggy full, some of which I have already loaded.  I do not plan to reload any more of these.

Now to pull the already loaded ones apart to recover the bullet and powder.  I am not sure I will go for the primer.

FLR

Go slow and take your time and you can easily deprime those cases with no worries. However wear ear and eye protection just in case..

15 minutes ago, Doc Moses said:

Well, yall can just send all that extra 44-40 my way if u got no use 4 it. ;)

You are welcome to have all of mine as I plan to file it all in file #13.

There are some people who, as an alternative to annealing 45 Colt brass, will fireform 44wcf brass to 45 Colt, in order to get a better chamber seal and eliminate or drastically reduce fouling blowby into the action.  This CBC brass might be good for that.  

Archived