SASS Wire Forum

Falcon Heavy Booster Landing

Subdeacon Joe

We're pretty lucky.  Uno stood in our front yard and watched the launch and the separation where the boosters returned to earth.  Pretty cool.

It is really remarkable how technology as advanced in the last 30 or 40 years. I worked on the Space Shuttle program and the SRB's (solid rocket boosters) that were attached to the main fuel tank, separated from it and dropped into the Atlantic ocean after launch. They were retrieved by ship and returned to the launch area. They were flushed out with fresh water, refurbished and reused. Big difference from what SpaceX is able to do.

3 hours ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

It is really remarkable how technology as advanced in the last 30 or 40 years. I worked on the Space Shuttle program and the SRB's (solid rocket boosters) that were attached to the main fuel tank, separated from it and dropped into the Atlantic ocean after launch. They were retrieved by ship and returned to the launch area. They were flushed out with fresh water, refurbished and reused. Big difference from what SpaceX is able to do.

I sent you a PM.  The Shuttle SRB's were recovered by parachute...actually 3 136 ft. diameter mains.  They still hit the water at about 60mph. Had a one-chute failure capability, which would increase the impact velocity, and do more damage to the aft skirts.  I still have a sample of the nylon ribbons that made up the canopies.  Makes a great tow cable, if needed! Also have a reefing line cutter. Each main had two reefing lines which prevented the canopy from opening all at once, which would have blown the canopy. 

Talk about technology advances, I remember as a kid, the sci-fi show, "Tom Corbet - Space Cadet".  The opening showed rockets landing at Space Academy by backing down on their exhaust plumes!  These rockets looked like V-2's.  Of course, we knew it wasn't possible. Now, the rate they are launching and recovering (163rd and 164th recovery for the Heavy and 165 this morning).  It's almost getting like watching airliners...except SpaceX seems to be more reliable as to their schedules! 

18 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

I sent you a PM.  The Shuttle SRB's were recovered by parachute...actually 3 136 ft. diameter mains.  They still hit the water at about 60mph. Had a one-chute failure capability, which would increase the impact velocity, and do more damage to the aft skirts.  I still have a sample of the nylon ribbons that made up the canopies.  Makes a great tow cable, if needed! Also have a reefing line cutter. Each main had two reefing lines which prevented the canopy from opening all at once, which would have blown the canopy. 

Talk about technology advances, I remember as a kid, the sci-fi show, "Tom Corbet - Space Cadet".  The opening showed rockets landing at Space Academy by backing down on their exhaust plumes!  These rockets looked like V-2's.  Of course, we knew it wasn't possible. Now, the rate they are launching and recovering (163rd and 164th recovery for the Heavy and 165 this morning).  It's almost getting like watching airliners...except SpaceX seems to be more reliable as to their schedules! 

When SpaceX was getting started, they contracted with us (Northrop) to autoclave their skin panels that make up the outer shell of their rocket, they actually leased part of our building for the build. We had the largest autoclaves in California because of the wing skins on the B-2. One of my buddies from Rockwell was VP of their manufacturing program and wanted me to go to work for them. I was getting ready to retire and turned him down. Probably should have done it for a few years. They sure have some talent working for them.

3 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

And SpaceX has never lost any luggage.

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

And SpaceX has never lost any luggage.

No, but they are already getting ready to cram an extra seat into a Crew Dragon (to enable an astronaut who would have returned to Earth in the damaged Soyuz to escape from the ISS, if necessary, and possibly to return to Earth in the Dragon, if the Russians can't get another Soyuz to the ISS. Starting to operate like a regular airline so far as leg space is concerned! ;)

It’s amazing how a lot of the old science fiction movies are coming true. Even the alien invasion. Although not exactly what bwe expected. ;)

41 minutes ago, Lone Spur Jake SASS #7728 said:

I'm sorry, is it just me, or did anyone else watching the You Tube video at the beginning of this post notice where it said "on January 15, 2022" this happened?

The photo is one of the recent launches.  The video is one I grabbed from their site.

Archived