SASS Wire Forum

Best 1897 repro?

Currahee

Best 97 clones are the IAC imported 97s with the serial number prefix CB (stands for Cowboy).  Has all of Coyote Cap's improvements.

IACs with serial prefix 06 to 10 are real good, but not quite as improved.  I still run an 06 that needed very little work.

Guns imported by Norinco, and IACs with lower serial number prefixes than 06 - I would stay away from because many gunsmiths simply don't want to work on them. 

The problem with real Winchester 97s is that they have all had more than 70 years of aging and use.  And they can be hard for a beginner to 97s to know all the problem areas to look for.   Take along an experienced hand if you look for those.

good luck, GJ

I have two premiere gunsmiths who work on my '97s.  One of them hates to work on Winchesters, partly because of the many variations in quality and construction they went through in their decades of production. as well as the fact that, as G-Jo pointed out above, many of them have been worn into near unusability.

The other dislikes the Chinchesters because of the many variations of construction and quality control.

The long and short of it is - stay away from the TTNs, but anything else you get is still an ongoing project.  Those guns were never meant to be shot as hard or as often as we tend to use them.

Ya pays your money, and takes your chances, Currahee.

Good luck!

FJT

When I started this game in 1990 I purchased two originals for 200.00  each sent them off to Cowboy Gun Works and have used them both for over 30 yrs I replace the ejectors every year and had to replace the extractor on one.

Not bad for those problematic 97 pumps.

Best Wishes

28 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Best 97 clones are the IAC imported 97s with the serial number prefix CB (stands for Cowboy).  Has all of Coyote Cap's improvements...

CB prefix with s/n up to 400-something (440? I forget) are the premiere guns.  CB prefix with s/n after that are still very good, but have mixed parts and are not quite as good as the first 400.

1 hour ago, Texas Jack Black said:

Not bad for those problematic 97 pumps.

Not once did I write that all the original Winchester 97s are "problematic".   I recommended that the buyer take along a good hand with 97s who knows what to look for and knows when to walk away.   Although I surely have a basket-case original 97 that I bought off another SASS member without inspection, and no one has been able to figure out why it has so many problems.  Had I seen it before sending money, I'd be better off.

The 97 is about the most complicated firearm that we try to use in cowboy action shooting.  Lots of moving parts, some of which are small and easily worn.   Glad you got two good ones.

good luck, GJ

I probably couldn't have stated it better than G.Joe  or  FJT.

As Abilene mentioned, some of the higher numbered IAC 'CB' series were not given credibility as the lower numbered CB (Cowboy)

serial numbers because those higher numbered 97's didn't get Coyote Cap's inspection and approval.   BUT..... I don't know

where that number is.

But the good part is even the higher numbered CB's were still good quality.

As G.Jo mentioned, if you can find an IAC/Norinco 06 to 10 series, or the more popular CB series, those are the models to

considered.

I have models from 03 and 04 that serve me well but have been worked on by a competent smith.

I also have some 09 and CB series that serve me just as well.    

There are top 97 shooters who use IAC's, and there are top 97 shooters who use Winchesters.   

Keep your 4-leaf clover in your pocket when you go looking for one and hopefully,  your buying experience

will be a happy one.

Good luck.

..........Widder  (poster boy for 97 abusers) :lol:

Archived