SASS Wire Forum

IDES of March 2023 - SASS Florida State Championship - March 16th - 19th, 2023

The Outlaw Travis James

image.thumb.jpeg.27279fac9bd53edfc5eb18d8ab52e84b.jpeg

***UPDATED INFORMATION***

IDES OF MARCH 2023 - SASS FLORIDA STATE CHAMPIONSHIP

Match Theme: Big Jake

MARCH 16-19, 2023

The Lake County Pistoleros and the Eustis Gun Club are pleased to announce that The Ides of March 2023 will be the SASS Florida State Cowboy Action Shooting Championship. Anyone on the range with you will need to complete a waiver (even if they are not shooting). You can find updated information at lakecountypistoleros.com. You may also contact Greta Dee – gretadee1@gmail.com

SHOOTING FLIGHTS

TBD – Based on the number of shooters in mid-January, the decision will be made if we are having one flight or two.

CATEGORIES

Available categories are listed on the application. Categories must have a minimum number of shooters, otherwise, they will NOT be honored.

• JOSEY WALES – new this year. 4 pistols and shotgun – Pistols must be shot Duelist or Gunfighter style only.

KING OF KABOOM CATEGORY RULES

Real black powder or sub is allowed. All competitors must shoot their pistols two-handed (traditional style).

Pistols and Rifle

• .40 cal and up - 200 grain and up - 25 grains of powder and up
  • .38-40 cal - 180 grain and up - 30 grains of powder and up
  • Cap and Ball - .44 cal round ball and up - 30 grains of powder and up

Shotgun

• 1 1/8 oz shot, 60 grains of powder and up
  • Double barrel and 87 shotgun only

THE LAKE COUNTY PISTOLEROS IS NOW OFFERING KING OF KABOOM AS AN OFFICIAL STATE CHAMPIONSHIP CATEGORY FOR THE IDES OF MARCH!

We are requiring at least three shooters in the category for it to be honored. So, if you would like to become the King of Kaboom for the State of Florida, get your applications in and note it on there. If you have already sent in your app and would like to change your category to KoK, contact Greta Dee at gretabrucester@gmail.com

POSSE REQUESTS

If you wish to posse with someone, please indicate the person’s ALIAS on the “Posse Me With” line on the registration form. Do NOT put down a club name or location (ex. “Other folks from PA” or “Roughshod Raiders”). Trust me, we are not aware of who is a member of every club in the US; therefore, you may not end up with the folks you want to be with if you go that route! This is only a request and we will do our best, but it’s not guaranteed.

SASS SCHOLARSHIP FUNDRAISER

We will be offering a few options to raise funds:

• We will keep a bucket at registration – please consider donating a few dollars when you register.
  • We will be having a Heads-Up Challenge shootoff side match, Thursday during side matches. The cost to compete is $10.00 for the day. You may prepay for this with your application, or you may pay when you register onsite.

SIDE MATCHES

Thursday, March 16th – 10:00 am-3:30 pm – $10.00 fee and you can shoot all day – best time wins

Awards will be given for:

• Speed Rifle
  • Speed Shotgun
  • Speed Pistol
  • Pocket Pistol
  • Derringer
  • Long Range – 100 and 200 yards.

Bragging Rights Only:

• Warm-up stage (no scores, practice only)
  • Heads Up Challenge - shootoff side match
  • Team Shootoff Side Match

**If you’re available to help RO a side match on Thursday, please notate it on your application. If we don’t have enough volunteers, certain side matches may be canceled. Volunteer for an hour!

Wild Bunch 4 stage mini-match – Thursday, March 18th – 9am – $10.00 fee – you must pre-register

REGISTRATION/PACKET PICKUP

• Thursday, March 16th – 9:30 am-4:00 pm
  • Friday, March 19 - 7:30 am-8:30 am & possibly 10:30a-11:30am (depending on the number of shooting flights)

Main Clubhouse at the Range

CAMPING

There is a limited number of DRY spaces available at the range. No water or electricity, we do have water available to fill your freshwater tank before you settle in. No sewer or dump station so come empty. The nearest dump station is several miles away. You must pre-register and pay. We also need you to provide the size of the trailer/camper/etc. You may arrive Tuesday, March 14th, and must depart by Monday, March 23rd. Please abide by this as I’d hate to ask anyone to leave. Before paying, please verify with Greta (gretadee1@gmail.com or 407-592-5108) that there is still space available. RANGE RULE – NO ALCOHOL on the range at any time.

MATCH INFO

Scoring will be based on total time. 5 stages Friday and Saturday, March 17-18th – Top Gun shoot-off Sunday, March 19th.

• The dinner is not included in your match fee. There are a limited number of tickets available, please order/pay in advance. If you wish to attend the Awards but not have dinner, you may do so. Tickets will be given to those that have purchased dinner.
  • Awards will be given out Saturday during the dinner. We will award a maximum of 5 deep per category. 6+ shooters, we will award up to 5th place, 5 shooters, up to 4thplace, 4 shooters, up to 3rd place, 3 shooters, up to 2nd place, 2 shooters, 1st place only will be awarded.

Ides of March 2023 Schedule

(AS OF SEPTEMBER 25, 2022)

TUESDAY, MARCH 14

• 8:00 am – Range Setup starts – help is welcome
  • 8:30 am-4:00 pm – Vendors may arrive and setup – provided proper paperwork submitted
  • 8:30 am-4:00 pm – Campers may arrive and setup – provided proper fees/paperwork has been submitted

WEDNESDAY, MARCH 15

• 8:00 am – Range Setup starts – help is welcome
  • 8:30 am-4:00 pm – Vendors may arrive and setup – provided proper paperwork submitted
  • 8:30 am-4:00 pm – Campers may arrive and setup – provided proper fees/paperwork has been submitted

THURSDAY, MARCH 16

• 8:00 am – Range opens
  • 9:00 am-4:00 pm - Registration – held in main pavilion
  • 9:00 am - 4:00 pm – Vendors open
  • 9:30 am – Wild Bunch Side Match – must pre-register
  • 10:00 am -3:00 pm - Side Matches
  • 10:00 am - 12:30 pm - Open Shootoff Practice - Between Stages 9 & 10
  • 12:30 pm - 1:30 pm - Team Shootoff Side Match - Between Stages 9 & 10
  • 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm - Heads Up Challenge Shootoff Elimination Tournament Side Match- Between Stages 9 & 10
  • TIME and CLASS – TBD – Range Officer training – more info to follow
  • Time TBD - Posse Marshall Walk Thru with Match Director and Range Master

FRIDAY, MARCH 17

• 7:00 am – Range opens
  • 7:30 am - 8:30 am – Registration – held in main pavilion
  • 8:00 am - 4:00 pm – Vendors open
  • 9:00 amMANDATORY shooters meeting – held outside Registration Clubhouse
  • 9:30 am- - First 5 Main Match Stages - first flight (if necessary)
  • 12:00 pm – PM Flight – MANDATORY shooters meeting – held outside Registration Clubhouse – (if necessary)
  • 12:30 pm - First 5 Main Match Stages - second flight (if necessary)

SATURDAY, MARCH 18

• 7:00 am – Range opens
  • 8:00 am - 4:00 pm – Vendors Open
  • 8:30 am – Second 5 Main Match Stages- first flight (if necessary)
  • 12:00 pm - Second 5 Main Match Stages - second flight (if necessary)
  • 4:30 pm – Costume Contest Judging - At Elk's LodgeTown Lady, Town Gent, Couple, Cowboy (Classic), Cowgirl (Classic), B Western, Cowboy, B Western Cowgirl, Soiled Dove, Military, Young Man, Young Lady
  • 5:00 pm – Elks Lodge opens for drinks
  • 5:30 pm – Elks Lodge dinner
  • 7:00 pm – Side Match & Main Match awards – Announcements – Etc – Door prize/raffles (must be present to win)

** - ELKS LODGE - *2540 DORA AVE - TAVARES, FL 32778-4976

SUNDAY, MARCH 19

• 7:30 am – Range opens
  • 8:00 am – Cowboy Church – held in main clubhouse
  • 8:00 am - 12:00 pm -Vendors open
  • 9:30 am sharp - Draw Numbers and set up first round Shootoff Brackets
  • 10:00 am sharp - Shootoff Brackets Start | Top Gun Shootoff (Top 32 Overall) | Ladies (Top 8 ) | Juniors (open to all Juniors 16 & under who complete the Main Match)

HOTEL INFO

Hotel information for Ides of March/FL State 2023. Check-in 3/16 and out 3/19. Contact the hotel and tell them you are with the Lake County Pistoleros.

• Microtel Inn and Suites by Wyndham - 9700 US Hwy 441 Leesburg, FL 34788 352-315-1234 The only available is a single queen at $99/night plus taxes.
  • Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites - Tavares 3601 W Burleigh Blvd, US Hwy 441, Tavares, FL 32278 352-742-1600 2 queen beds at $212/night plus taxes.
  • Hampton Inn Leesburg - 9630 US-441, Leesburg, FL 34788 352-315-1053 2 queen beds at $249/night plus taxes

Match Info and Applications: https://actionshootingnetwork.com/event/357/the-ides-of-march/

2 hours ago, Chili Pepper Pete 11917 said:

Application going out in tomorrows mail.   Looking forward to seeing some old friends!

WHOOT WHOOT ! 

Just now, Dallas McPewPew said:

I'm heading down to shoot in Florida for the first time for this, looking forward to meeting a lot of folks I've met here or in fb groups! 

You're going to love it.  Deuce and Chili will be down plus most of the Gander Snow Birds like Shiloh and Riverview Rattler.  It should be a great week! 

1 hour ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Sounds like fun!  I'm going to try my best to make it!!

Hope to see you down here.  If not, we will see you at Stampede.

26 minutes ago, Little Iron Lucille said:

Looking forward to some

Florida sunshine and seeing friends. 

WHOOT WHOOT!

• 3 weeks later...

Page 5!  How The Heck Did This Get To Page 5!

On 10 March 2023, just 5 short weeks from this very moment, Holli & I should be crossing the Virginia/North Carolina border headed south for Lake City, Florida.  Overnight there, then shoot the monthly match at Fort White on Saturday, then of to our hideaway in Dunedin for a few days before the Ides.  Planning to be at the Ides early on Wednesday to lend a hand where I can for final setup and then the fun starts on Thursday!

Seems like it will never get here!

calvin-hobbes-gif-school-clock.gif

On 2/3/2023 at 11:04 AM, Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L said:

Page 5!  How The Heck Did This Get To Page 5!

On 10 March 2023, just 5 short weeks from this very moment, Holli & I should be crossing the Virginia/North Carolina border headed south for Lake City, Florida.  Overnight there, then shoot the monthly match at Fort White on Saturday, then of to our hideaway in Dunedin for a few days before the Ides.  Planning to be at the Ides early on Wednesday to lend a hand where I can for final setup and then the fun starts on Thursday!

Seems like it will never get here!

calvin-hobbes-gif-school-clock.gif

I finally got my app delivered.

See you there!

9 hours ago, Waimea said:

I finally got my app delivered.

See you there!

Looking forward to seeing you again as well.  I tried every trick in my book to get myself down to FL for the Shootout In The Swamp, but just couldn't do it.  Life is complicated...

Anyway, we are looking forward to the Ides once again, and maybe even a trip to the Hideaway.  Don't think Holli & I have made it back there since 2019 and the whole Covid thing.  Been far too long.

15 hours ago, Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L said:

Looking forward to seeing you again as well.  I tried every trick in my book to get myself down to FL for the Shootout In The Swamp, but just couldn't do it.  Life is complicated...

Anyway, we are looking forward to the Ides once again, and maybe even a trip to the Hideaway.  Don't think Holli & I have made it back there since 2019 and the whole Covid thing.  Been far too long.

It was a great match in the Swamp.

You gotta just retire (me too). This work thing is just getting in the way of our fun.

See you soon.

Like Waimea said, "It was a great match in the Swamp.You gotta just retire (me too). This work thing is just getting in the way of our fun. See you soon." we miss you Dad

14 hours ago, Waimea said:

It was a great match in the Swamp.

You gotta just retire (me too). This work thing is just getting in the way of our fun.

See you soon.

3 hours ago, Preacherman said:

Like Waimea said, "It was a great match in the Swamp.You gotta just retire (me too). This work thing is just getting in the way of our fun. See you soon." we miss you Dad

Wish it was that simple.  Someday, in the not too distant future, Holli and I will get to play Snowbirds in FL from Jan through March, but I cannot predict when that will be.  While I am "technically" retired, it's more like being ungainfully employed.  For the time being (since my Dad passed in 2018) I have the responsibility of caring for my Mother, who will turn 86 next week, and who has dementia.  We do employ a full time aide, but there is still a lot to do to keep her safe and comfortable in her home in the mean time.  That, along with supporting Holli's business, building a house, the never ending battle with the IRS, and a host of other personal responsibilities and projects (Not to mention being Match Director for my home club in Damascus) keeps me far too busy at the moment.  When the responsibility for my Mother ends, Holli will begin planning for her retirement, and we are both looking forward to spending a lot more time in Florida.

We really enjoyed the chance to shoot at Hernando and with the Roughshod Raiders this past January and we have already made plans to do that again next January.  If everything holds, we will get to shoot at the Raiders on Jan 06, 2024 (a stop on the way down), at Hernando on Jan 07, 2024 (an hour north of our place), and at Fort White on Jan 13, 2024 (a stop on our way home).  Three matches in just 10 days!  We never get to do that, and just to lock in our travel plans we already have hotel rooms booked where required!  B)

Yes, I know, it's almost a year away, but planning that far out is pretty much a requirement for our lives at the moment.  We already have our shooting schedule planned and have registered for all of that matches that have applications available for all of 2023.  Someday, life won't be this complicated, I hope! :blink:

See you guys at the Ides!

Dogmeat

Oh boy, yes, family ALWAYS comes first. Take good care of mom. God bless you and a prayer goes up for you guys. See ya in 5 weeks!

`

On 2/7/2023 at 9:14 PM, Little Iron Lucille said:

Do we know how many stages for wild bunch?

There are 4 stages for the Wild Bunch Match. 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived