SASS Wire Forum

Can someone look at, and then tell me, the power requirement (in Watts) of the Dillon Casefeeder (for XL 750/650)?

Nostrum Damus SASS #110702

What is the output (in Watts) of the DC transformer that plugs into the 110V outlet?  My shop has lighting but no 110V outlets, so I'm buying a rechargeable portable power unit to power the casefeeder and need to know the minimum power unit I can buy -- those things get pricey as output increases.

Many thanks, in advance.

Nostrum Damus

This is the info supplied by Dillon.  Hope it's helpful.

"The speed of the casefeeder is controlled by a potentiometer on the casefeed funnel. It allows you to infinitely regulate the speed from 0 to 8 RPM. The motor features a universal power supply for both domestic and foreign voltages. Adaptable to either 110 or 220 Volt, 60 or 50 hz, you simply swap out the plug to the style appropriate to your region. The bowl has an adjustable window cuff and cases deflector, for a larger range of cartridge capability."   

Thanks BHB.  I also saw that in the casefeeder manual online, but it doesn't answer the question.  I need to know the output range (in Watts) that is printed on the power cord transformer to know if, for example, a portable battery/inverter that provides 300W (max peak) will be sufficient to drive the casefeeder, or whether I need a 500W or even 1000W (very expensive) power source.  (Of course, I may get a larger unit than needed so that it can perform other duties, as well, but I want to know the smallest unit that will do the job.)

29 minutes ago, Nostrum Damus SASS #110702 said:

Thanks BHB.  I also saw that in the casefeeder manual online, but it doesn't answer the question.  I need to know the output range (in Watts) that is printed on the power cord transformer to know if, for example, a portable battery/inverter that provides 300W (max peak) will be sufficient to drive the casefeeder, or whether I need a 500W or even 1000W (very expensive) power source.  (Of course, I may get a larger unit than needed so that it can perform other duties, as well, but I want to know the smallest unit that will do the job.)

My 650 case feeder has no “power cord transformer”.

It sounds like you're asking about powering it with a inverter and battery. If that is the case, the larger the capacity the longer you will be able to run before needing to recharge it. If you have shop lights, it should be a simple thing to drop an outlet down and cheaper in the long run to operate.

Thanks, all.  Confirms what I thought -- 150W continuous, 300W peak, will be plenty sufficient.  Obviously, the larger the battery capacity, the longer the casefeeder will run without the necessity to bring the unit home for recharging.

(Cholla, I'm in a commercial rented space -- lighting is provided but it is a commercial, not residential, single phase 277 volt system.  They want to charge me an arm and a leg to install a transformer and meter for 110V service, so that's a no-go.)

19 minutes ago, August West, SASS #45079 said:

The information label on my case feeder power bricks says: 500 mA at 110 volts.   So, they draw about 55-60 watts (if my math is correct).  The reed switch that controls the feeder makes this draw intermittent, governed by how fast you're pulling the crank.

Thanks AW.  I think you are correct, and 60W usually means 60W continuous.  The peak current draw at start-up is usually about double the continuous draw, so the more economical 300W units are easily powerful enough to do this job.

6 minutes ago, Nostrum Damus SASS #110702 said:

Thanks AW.  I think you are correct, and 60W usually means 60W continuous.  The peak current draw at start-up is usually about double the continuous draw, so the more economical 300W units are easily powerful enough to do this job.

The motor may be DC controlled, which means there is no capacitor and, therefore, no startup overdraw.   As you know, the motor is controlled by the reed switch in the case feeder drop tube.  So, the power demand is intermittent.   The first calculation was at 110 volts.  But, the output of the brick is 12 volts.  At 12 volts, 500 mA would be 6 watts continuous rather than 60.  Whatever the case (no pun intended), it should not take many watt hours of storage to keep the Dillon running for quite a long time.   Let us know how this works out in real life.

12 volts dc at 500 ma = 6 watts

------------------------------

You want to know your battery supply total amps available.

Divide that by the 500 ma (.5 amps) to get your duration of maximum use.

I run a lot of RC models.

My biggest battery is a 12 volt 3500 ma battery. Size is about 1.14"x2.5"x7".

I can run those models for about 3 hours before I notice speed drop off.

There are 2 motors, 2 speed controllers and 4 servos operating pulling from the battery.

In theory a small car 12 volt battery at say, 40 amps capacity should run for about 80 hours at 100% out put at 500 ma (.5 amps)

Or a lawnmower battery for easier portability to take home and charge. Get an AGM type in case it tips, no spillage.

4 hours ago, Nostrum Damus SASS #110702 said:

Thanks, all.  Confirms what I thought -- 150W continuous, 300W peak, will be plenty sufficient.  Obviously, the larger the battery capacity, the longer the casefeeder will run without the necessity to bring the unit home for recharging.

(Cholla, I'm in a commercial rented space -- lighting is provided but it is a commercial, not residential, single phase 277 volt system.  They want to charge me an arm and a leg to install a transformer and meter for 110V service, so that's a no-go.)

If your available voltage is 277v and you add a receptacle to that circuit...you may want to get a battery powered fan to push the smoke out of the building.

Just sayin.:P

The capacity of the device I bought is 293 Wh and its delivery efficiency is 85%.  Thus, a fully charged battery should run the feeder for 40+ hours continuously, but since operation of the feeder is intermittent, I suspect it will run the casefeeder for at least 60 hours of actual reloading time.

Your last reply is spot on but closer to the lower end if that commercial rental you’re working in is below freezing…

11 hours ago, J.S. Sooner, SASS #73526 said:

if your shop has lights, this may work.  Then you have power for your case feeder when the lights are on.

Screenshot 2023-01-20 212157.jpg

This should be your first answer if you are not confident in running a wire for a new receptacle.

On 1/16/2023 at 9:12 AM, Nostrum Damus SASS #110702 said:

I retract my prior comment.

No problem CRC.  I wouldn't be doing any of this if there was residential AC service in my work room.  Other lighting solutions include rechargeable Li-ion battery powered Bosch work lights over the bench to supplement the minimal overhead light provided by the few available 277V 48" fluorescent tubes.  I'm a big fan of those Bosch work lights (https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/boschtools-ocs/cordless-lights-fl12-121246-p/).  With the Jackery portable power supply, I am now also running a magnetic-mount gooseneck LED work light on the press that operates on 110V also at very low power usage.

Archived