SASS Wire Forum

277 Fury/M5

Buckshot Bob

I like the side charging capability. I just don’t care for the AR charging system. I can live with it, I just don’t care for it. 

Still hoping to come across a Ruger SFAR in the wild. 

5 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I like the side charging capability. I just don’t care for the AR charging system. I can live with it, I just don’t care for it. 

Still hoping to come across a Ruger SFAR in the wild. 

I’ve seen the Ruger for sale online but never in a store yet 

6 hours ago, Slapshot said:

I'll pass on a 80K pressure cartridge. I'd bet at that pressure that thing is a barrel burner. Not crazy about a 3 pc cartridge case either.

WOW! 80K? Yeah, too much. I didn’t know that, but then I wouldn’t buy one anyway. I like the .308 round, mostly because it’s what I know and I am already set up to reload it. 
It seems like we have a new rifle round a month these days. I just read about the 8.6 Blk. 
https://backfire.tv/8-6-blackout-a-complete-ballistics-profile-with-pros-and-cons/

56 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

It seems like we have a new rifle round a month these days. 

They have to do something to keep you coming back , new calibers and new guns.

I don’t really see the higher pressure as a big thing. No different than when we went from BP to smokeless, or some of the initial smokeless rounds to what we have today. We survived that and we will with this. This allows 270 Winchester out of a 22”bbl gun velocity out of a gun with a 308 size case and a 13” bbl. And this gun is very easy to change barrels out on. With some of the coatings/plating they have today, chrome lining, PVD , ect…. I’m sure they will figure a way to get acceptable bbl life . This gun is offering a cartridge which exceeds 308 in a fairly compact 308 package with an optical sight and a suppressor. I’m sure initially they will have some problems “what new military gun hasn’t” besides maybe a Browning design :) . The Springfield 03 , the Garand, M14, M16 all had changes/improvements made to them. And I’m sure the M4 will not disappear anytime soon. Everyone hates on the new gun. My father still likes the Garand better than anything. But power wise this new gun is a Garand in a more compact package with a 25 round mag, optical sight and a suppressor , once the bugs are worked out what’s not to like. We truly are living in the golden age of guns 

2 hours ago, Buckshot Bob said:

They have to do something to keep you coming back , new calibers and new guns.

I don’t really see the higher pressure as a big thing. No different than when we went from BP to smokeless, or some of the initial smokeless rounds to what we have today. We survived that and we will with this. This allows 270 Winchester out of a 22”bbl gun velocity out of a gun with a 308 size case and a 13” bbl. And this gun is very easy to change barrels out on. With some of the coatings/plating they have today, chrome lining, PVD , ect…. I’m sure they will figure a way to get acceptable bbl life . This gun is offering a cartridge which exceeds 308 in a fairly compact 308 package with an optical sight and a suppressor. I’m sure initially they will have some problems “what new military gun hasn’t” besides maybe a Browning design :) . The Springfield 03 , the Garand, M14, M16 all had changes/improvements made to them. And I’m sure the M4 will not disappear anytime soon. Everyone hates on the new gun. My father still likes the Garand better than anything. But power wise this new gun is a Garand in a more compact package with a 25 round mag, optical sight and a suppressor , once the bugs are worked out what’s not to like. We truly are living in the golden age of guns 

There certainly is something for everyone…unless you’re an anti-2A hand-wringing power hungry goonboy. :lol:

I guess in a lot of ways I don’t truly appreciate all these new innovations because I am not really interested in doing the things these new guns and rounds are designed for. 

1 minute ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

There certainly is something for everyone…unless you’re an anti-2A hand-wringing power hungry goonboy. :lol:

I guess in a lot of ways I don’t truly appreciate all these new innovations because I am not really interested in doing the things these new guns and rounds are designed for. 

I don’t need it either, but I do find it interesting. Heck I still shoot a 308 I don’t even own a creedmore. Although I saw that S&W just released a gas operated 5.7 pistol at SHOT that looks interesting. I also like that our military is at least trying to better equip a foot soldier, although Im sure it will be a long time before they are in general use 

I find the 3 pc case very interesting. Nothing I'd want to fool with but interesting non the less.

I wish the would start producing 277 wolverine backed by factory ammo.Thats a sweet  little round that I got out of because it was strickly wildcat load your own.

1 minute ago, Slapshot said:

I find the 3 pc case very interesting. Nothing I'd want to fool with but interesting non the less.

I just see it as what they had to do to control the pressure they wanted. Kinda how they went away from rimfire in the larger calibers and balloon head cases when pressures began to increase years ago. Caseless ammunition didn’t ever seem to take off but who knows what will happen in the future. It’s almost scary how fast technology has compounded upon its self in the electronics industry. Maybe we’ll all have phasers soon and the anti 2A people will be arguing that the founders never intended for you to own a phaser or light saber . Don’t know what will happen when someone comes up with a hand held thermonuclear device :) 

On 1/15/2023 at 11:14 PM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

...Still hoping to come across a Ruger SFAR in the wild. 

There have been several for sale in my area and very slow to sell. I've handled the 20" model before and it's nice but I'm waiting to see a shorter barrel... problem is I can't stop buying revolvers… :o

So the smart govmint guys/gals have decided that a 3pc case loaded to 80kpsi, to shoot longer than a .308 Win (a cartridge that can go farther than 90%+ of soldiers can shoot and a case that will have very limited number of sources is a good idea.

Somehow, I think a Chinese army of tens of millions, firing the weaker 7.62x39, may have the advantage....

18 hours ago, Tom Bullweed said:

So the smart govmint guys/gals have decided that a 3pc case loaded to 80kpsi, to shoot longer than a .308 Win (a cartridge that can go farther than 90%+ of soldiers can shoot and a case that will have very limited number of sources is a good idea.

Somehow, I think a Chinese army of tens of millions, firing the weaker 7.62x39, may have the advantage....

I don't think the Chinese use 7.62x39 anymore. That hot round isn't to shoot farther it's to go thru Chinese body armor

28 minutes ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

I don't think the Chinese use 7.62x39 anymore. That hot round isn't to shoot farther it's to go thru Chinese body armor

I’m betting that they come up with something better than than the 30-06 AP

Archived