SASS Wire Forum

Gun show ehhh

Rye Miles #13621

The gun show I went to today was a real waste! No reloading stuff at all! Plenty of guns I didn’t want but no primers, powder or anything interesting like old guns etc. 
The only single actions were Wranglers and Heritages.
Plenty of overpriced ammo too! :angry: 

I used to love to go to gun shows, now I find no enjoyment in them anymore!:(

Went to one yesterday with about 60 - 70 tables. Just a bunch of black guns, 30 - 40 year old primers @ $125K, some guy making hand outlines on a sheet for some dubious reason, silver/gold coins, pewter toy tanks, plenty of knives and way overpriced ammo.

Just once, I'd like to go to a beef jerky show and find it 50% guns, 25% knives and 25% beef jerky.

I went to a gun show in Washington PA last weekend. Lots of cool guns. Not much for reloading. 

Next weekend is a gun show here in Morgantown. Should be lots of used guns to check out. 

Gun shows here are kick*** compared to those of CA and even OR/WA. 

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

The gun show I went to today was a real waste! No reloading stuff at all! Plenty of guns I didn’t want but no primers, powder or anything interesting like old guns etc. 
The only single actions were Wranglers and Heritages.
Plenty of overpriced ammo too! :angry: 

Medina? went yesterday, I just like to look, sometimes you find a deal.

2 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I went to a gun show in Washington PA last weekend. Lots of cool guns. Not much for reloading. 

Next weekend is a gun show here in Morgantown. Should be lots of used guns to check out. 

Gun shows here are kick*** compared to those of CA and even OR/WA. 

There’s only one gun show here that’s pretty cool. It’s got 3 buildings and usually some good old stuff. It’s only 4 -5 times a year though. The rest of them suck!

2 minutes ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

Medina? went yesterday, I just like to look, sometimes you find a deal.

No I was at a gun show at the Painesville fairgrounds, small show. Terrible!

Just now, Rye Miles #13621 said:

There’s only one gun show here that’s pretty cool. It’s got 3 buildings and usually some good old stuff. It’s only 4 -5 times a year though. The rest of them suck!

I went to the Pittsburgh show last month. It was pretty lame compared to Washington PA (3 bldgs) and about the same size as Morgantown. 
I have been trying to find a turkey barrel for one of my Mossberg 500s. What a PITA to find. 

I went to only one gun show and that was ten (?) years ago.  Couldn’t figure out why I had to pay to enter.  Figured I could get my money back when I found a good deal.  I didn’t.

Between parking and entrance fee, it's over 20.00 just to get in to the Fort Wayne show. Walk around for an hour to see knives, jerky and junk. 

15 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Went to one yesterday with about 60 - 70 tables. Just a bunch of black guns, 30 - 40 year old primers @ $125K, some guy making hand outlines on a sheet for some dubious reason, silver/gold coins, pewter toy tanks, plenty of knives and way overpriced ammo.

Just once, I'd like to go to a beef jerky show and find it 50% guns, 25% knives and 25% beef jerky.

I was going to go to the Two Guys Gun Show at the old Minreg this weekend but I figured I don"t need another gun right now and the ammo is way too expensive.  I like their shows because there is usually a lot of old stuff which is what I like, but right now I'll wait til they come back to Largo and see if things have improved.  About eigth or nine months ago there was a gentleman with about 20 (or more) Springfield Trapdoor Carbines who, he told me, was trying to thin out the herd.  I was really salivating but I had just bought a Pedersoli Trapdoor Carbine so we just talked.  Another time there was another vendor with a really nice Eddystone 1917 Enfield and was asking $700.00.  I'm still kicking myself for not trying to haggle for it.

1 hour ago, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

I was going to go to the Two Guys Gun Show at the old Minreg this weekend but I figured I don"t need another gun right now and the ammo is way too expensive.  I like their shows because there is usually a lot of old stuff which is what I like, but right now I'll wait til they come back to Largo and see if things have improved.  About eigth or nine months ago there was a gentleman with about 20 (or more) Springfield Trapdoor Carbines who, he told me, was trying to thin out the herd.  I was really salivating but I had just bought a Pedersoli Trapdoor Carbine so we just talked.  Another time there was another vendor with a really nice Eddystone 1917 Enfield and was asking $700.00.  I'm still kicking myself for not trying to haggle for it.

That's the one that I went to. They didn't even have all the tables filled. You didn't miss anything, trust me on that.

The Central Florida gun show is this next weekend 1/21 and 1/22 in Lakeland near the airport. It used to be a good one but I haven't been in many years now so I don't know if it still is or not.

BTW, Castle Keep is no more. Seems they had a problem with the ATF and a 2' stack of 4473's. I don't know the details though.

If you Pards think your Gun Shows suck, you should try one of ours!!

Use to be "must do" events.   The last couple of years,  the local small shows have been canceled and not returned.   Got to where you pay to park, pay $10 each to get in and it's about half gun related and other half knives, archery, clothing,  art work,  books, on and on.  Then you squeeze through all the big bubbas and people on scooters.  End up not buying anything.  Did at least, in the old days, meet up with old friends.  Learned that half the vendors are there to snatch up stuff from people bringing in. They bring a table full of same stuff overpriced time after time for years.

I consider them social events.  Last week did pick up an RCBS 40 cal bullet mold and 2 sets od really nice grips for my 1911's.    Good day visiting.       GW

7 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

BTW, Castle Keep is no more. Seems they had a problem with the ATF and a 2' stack of 4473's. I don't know the details though.

Sorry to hear that.  I've been to Caatle Keep maybe 1/2 dozen times but always found everything overpriced.  I've been going to Patriot Pawn and Gun in Seminole Blvd.  In fact I've used their FFL to get five guns and have bought three more from their displays.  I was sorry to hear the old gentleman that was always there passed several months ago.

3 minutes ago, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

Sorry to hear that.  I've been to Caatle Keep maybe 1/2 dozen times but always found everything overpriced.  I've been going to Patriot Pawn and Gun in Seminole Blvd.  In fact I've used their FFL to get five guns and have bought three more from their displays.  I was sorry to hear the old gentleman that was always there passed several months ago.

Yeah, it'd been many years since I bought anything from Castle Keep. I've used Mark Kubes Firearms on Ulmerton for transfers. Never a problem. He does transfers for $25.00 (total out the door) which includes the call in for the 4473. It's in that dumpy warehouse style building about a 1/4 mile east of Starkey on the south side of Ulmerton. He has a lot of cool stuff in there. It may look ramshackle but he knows where everything's at. It's not your normal gun store.

I've been to Patriot once. They didn't seem too friendly, maybe it was just a bad day for the guys working there. I'll have to stop in there and give them a second look.

I thought the gun shops prices were a little high but they’re a deal compared to these blood suckers at the gun shows!!:angry:

14 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Yeah, it'd been many years since I bought anything from Castle Keep. I've used Mark Kubes Firearms on Ulmerton for transfers. Never a problem. He does transfers for $25.00 (total out the door) which includes the call in for the 4473. It's in that dumpy warehouse style building about a 1/4 mile east of Starkey on the south side of Ulmerton. He has a lot of cool stuff in there. It may look ramshackle but he knows where everything's at. It's not your normal gun store.

I've been to Patriot once. They didn't seem too friendly, maybe it was just a bad day for the guys working there. I'll have to stop in there and give them a second look.

I go to Mark Kubes at least once a month.  I got my Mk 3 SMLE and my Mosin M44 carbine as well as a whole bunch of ammo from him.  He was the only place I could get .22's from during the ammo crunch.  My kind of place, small, kinda grungy and old, jest like me.

I've been going to gun shows for about 40 years now and I don't think I've ever seen/found what you would call a good deal. It always seemed what they had to sell was priceless and what you had to sell was junk that nobody wanted but they would give you about 30-40% of it's real value. (Hey, I gotta make a profit on this they would say). Back in the '80's before the internet they were a good place to get some stuff you generally couldn't find at your local gun store. Reloading supplies were generally fairly priced as was ammunition. Then over the next 10 or so years they had fewer and fewer guns. The last gun show I went to in California (around 2011) was unexpectedly huge, with three full buildings and the outside spaces between the buildings as well.

Since moving to the St. George area I've been to 4 gun shows. They only hold two a year at the Convention Center. One large building mostly full and not so much of the non-gun related stuff. The two big ammo dealers had plenty and the prices are about the same as the retail stores. No reloading equipment/supplies to speak of. I did manage to get a decent price for a Czech Mauser and Russian SKS I'd had for years and I was able to get all the parts needed to build a 7.62x39 AR.

I've been going to gun shows literally since childhood, and for years I would drive up to 4 hours to get to one.  Now it's pretty much just the shows within 35 miles more or less.  I've seen the $300 a brick 35+ year old primers and $60 a pound powder, and I just keep walking while giving thanks I remembered the primer shortage in the Clinton Administration and decided to buy any components or ammunition I could use when I came across a decent deal.    Once in a blue moon I find something of interest and buy it.  And yes, in large measure it has become a social event, as I meet up with vendors who know me and friends from the clubs I belong to.  Will I keep going as long as I am physically able?  Probably, but it probably will be just shows local to my house or my brother's when I go to visit him..

Archived