SASS Wire Forum

primers with red coatings

Oak Ridge Regulator

A few months back there was a topic about primers with a red coating over the anvil area, there were plenty of remarks about what it was but no clear answer, completely by accident today I was trying to find LP primers and came across some boxes of Winchester primers that were in a red and white box instead of the familiar blue, further digging revealed that these primers are OLD Winchester primers that were discontinued by Winchester because they contain ( GASP OMG ) LEAD in their makeup, Winchester changed their chemical primer composition and changed to the now familiar blue box and clear coating on the primers, please take this with a grain of salt because I dug this info out of the god we call the internet so there is a chance its not 100% factual

Color of the coating doesn't mean a thing. Neither does the color of the priming compound.

BTW according to Winchester their primers still contain lead in the priming compound.

https://winchester.com/-/media/PDFs/Safety-Data-Sheets/PRIMERS--CENTERFIRE/PRIMERS--CENTERFIRE.ashx

For at least the last 10 years there is a effort by all cartridge manufacturers to develop a priming compound that does not contain lead. Early efforts had issues. Efforts in the last couple of years are fairing better. However, only time will tell.

Lindt Dark chocolate contains lead. CR reports. So wear a mask when you eat dark chocolate.:lol:

Pretty sure OLG and SD have it. 
Back in the “community organizer” days had several lots of SPM that had a “glob” ( technical term) of red stuff that completely covered the open side of the primer as opposed to a single spot of red on the anvil. Same box, same lot, an obvious manufacturer defect that didn’t affect anything. Rounds loaded with the extra red no different than less red. Kept a few for curiosity sake. 
image.thumb.jpeg.6de7cca592830c0ae060bb790d525190.jpegregards 

Gateway Kid

That’s why I said take with a grain of salt, winchester does list 2 different lead compounds in their Msds sheets, I have in fact physically checked the red/white boxes of primers and they did have the red color on the primers for what that’s worth and they are old primers, can’t find a msds on the old primers to see what the difference was

I believe colors applied to primers are nothing but a "model" identifier.   If you look over Federal primers, you will see different color lacquers used on the anvil (or priming compound itself) based upon whether the primers are standard, match, magnum, or magnum match.  My stock has clear (or no) color on Large Pistol, and a dark blue-green on Magnum Large Pistol variations..

Yes, most primers are still made of (primarily) lead styphnate.  The non-toxic primers used for (mostly police practice) indoor ranges substitute other metal-organic compounds, most of which are kept a trade secret right now.    Small non-toxic primers work reliably, but large primers still don't, per my latest information.   One reason why there are .45 auto cases with small primer pockets now.

good luck, GJ

Heavier and lighter application of the indicator dye, I would guess.  I've seen that variation for years.

good luck, GJ

Archived