SASS Wire Forum

Customized matched set of SAA clones

JackSlade

It took a few years, but I finally made a matched set of completely blued, army grip SAA clones. 

One is an Uberti Jesse, and the other is a Cimarron Pistoleer.

I got some blued hammers from EMF to convert them back to Sam and God's intended 4 clicks.

IMG_20221231_131136607.jpg

• JackSlade changed the title to Customized matched set of SAA clones
On 1/15/2023 at 4:21 AM, JackSlade said:

...One is an Uberti Jesse, and the other is a Cimarron Pistoleer.

I got some blued hammers from EMF to convert them back to Sam and God's intended 4 clicks.

Since EMF only sells Piettas, were those hammers (and I assume you got the triggers as well?) Piettas or old stock Ubertis?  That would be interesting if the Pietta parts fit Ubertis.  Gives another option.  The old style Uberti hammers and triggers that Taylor sells are still considerably less than VTI - I don't know how they do that. :)

On another note, that pistol box seems to have opentops and conversions in it.  What do you need SAA's for??  J/K :lol:

4 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

PLUS ONE for Abilene your betcha.  When you have sets of Open Tops and Conversions, reproduction SAA become superfluous :D

And Schofields too!

On 1/19/2023 at 10:27 PM, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Since EMF only sells Piettas, were those hammers (and I assume you got the triggers as well?) Piettas or old stock Ubertis?  That would be interesting if the Pietta parts fit Ubertis.

Yeah, pretty sure they're Pietta hammers. The interchangeability between the bolts, bolt spring, and hammers are finicky. So I kept the trigger and just dremeled the safety arm off of it.

Also, the firing pin needs to be filed down to pass the dime/penny test or else you'll have a lot of punctured primers.

On 1/21/2023 at 3:57 AM, JackSlade said:

Yeah, pretty sure they're Pietta hammers. The interchangeability between the bolts, bolt spring, and hammers are finicky. So I kept the trigger and just dremeled the safety arm off of it.

Also, the firing pin needs to be filed down to pass the dime/penny test or else you'll have a lot of punctured primers.

What is the dime/penny test?

On 1/22/2023 at 11:05 PM, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

What is the dime/penny test?

With the hammer all the way down and the cylinder removed. The firing pin should protrude through the recoil shield taller than a dime, but not taller than a penny.

Picking nits:  If you have Army grips on your single action... it ceases to be a SAA clone.  It's just another SA with Army grips.  

Archived