SASS Wire Forum

Trap Shooting

FYI...Been a trap shooter for many years, also do a bit of skeet, tower & sporting.

Never really saw the advantage of the high rib, UNTILL' I tried one..attached a pic of my now Trap gun...certainly feels more comfortable & hoping I get some consistency as been all over the place recently. The gun is a Spanish  FS 400 Sarriugarte which I bought new in 1989 & have  used in ISSF Trap [ even shot a possible ] . It had been in the safe & not being used so I started to shoot with it again & decided to put the high rib on.The rib is the 'add on brand..16'' inch adjustable  20mm [3 / 4 '' ] high

Gun is a side lock ,mechanical trigger with fixed 3 / 4 & full chokes.

High Rib 001.JPG

High Rib 002.JPG

High Rib 003.JPG

High Rib 004.JPG

yhe one thing i learned from working at a gun range that is an ATA/MTA event sponsor with a lot of very good shooters ....get it adjusted to fit you then do not F with it again till some life change causes you to get it refitted , the dumbest thing about buying a gun with all these adjustments is thinking the problems with your shooting are adjustments in the gun , 

4 hours ago, watab kid said:

yhe one thing i learned from working at a gun range that is an ATA/MTA event sponsor with a lot of very good shooters ....get it adjusted to fit you then do not F with it again till some life change causes you to get it refitted , the dumbest thing about buying a gun with all these adjustments is thinking the problems with your shooting are adjustments in the gun , 

Yep your right Kid, my biggest problem is me , never the gun. I tend sometimes to lift my head..the high rib stops this & gives a better view of the target. I was never really interested in the high rib but am a convert now as it is the most relaxed I have felt in clay shooting for quite a while..I will re evaluate after a few months, I am confident it will suit me well.Going to hit the pattern board next week  to make sure I have a 80/20 split then lock it down .Got quite a few trap comps coming up so time will tell.

Had to do a add a rib for my wife’s clay gun.   She got horrible cheek slap and we figured out that the gun sat too high on her shoulder causing it to pivot.  The high rib moved the gun down into a normal position and cheek slap went away.  Clay games are really all about the fit.  

4 hours ago, Still hand Bill said:

Clay games are really all about the fit.  

You are right. I used to make custom trap/skeet stocks and what bothers me about Painted Mohawk's gun is that (in my opinion), it is butt ugly. I had several "try stocks" that had all the adjustments like his shotgun has. I fit every stock to each customer. Once the stock was about 75% complete, I had each customer shoot it for a match or 2. I then made final adjustments and finished the stock. watab kid is 100% correct. 

5 hours ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

You are right. I used to make custom trap/skeet stocks and what bothers me about Painted Mohawk's gun is that (in my opinion), it is butt ugly. I had several "try stocks" that had all the adjustments like his shotgun has. I fit every stock to each customer. Once the stock was about 75% complete, I had each customer shoot it for a match or 2. I then made final adjustments and finished the stock. watab kid is 100% correct. 

I understand what you are saying & yes the look ain't the best..the positive I see is this  type of set up can be used for everything by just making adjustments for whatever you are shooting & you therefore just need the one gun..

For myself this gun  is only  for DTL & ISSF trap as I use others for the  different  disciplines.

Was a case of saving $$...I already had the gun with the adjustable comb & pad so adding the rib which I got from a mate has now given me a gun that will hopefully bring the scores back up,

23 minutes ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

I understand what you are saying & yes the look ain't the best..the positive I see is this  type of set up can be used for everything by just making adjustments for whatever you are shooting & you therefore just need the one gun..

For myself this gun  is only  for DTL & ISSF trap as I use others for the  different  disciplines.

Was a case of saving $$...I already had the gun with the adjustable comb & pad so adding the rib which I got from a mate has now given me a gun that will hopefully bring the scores back up,

I see your point. I am just partial to beautiful wood and sidelocks. I hate to see beautiful sxs's buggered up. 

You probably don't remember, but we met at one of our Revenge shoots in Cortez, Colo years ago. Too bad, lost the range and don't shoot there anymore.

9 minutes ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

I see your point. I am just partial to beautiful wood and sidelocks. I hate to see beautiful sxs's buggered up. 

You probably don't remember, but we met at one of our Revenge shoots in Cortez, Colo years ago. Too bad, lost the range and don't shoot there anymore.

I don't forget good people that I've met:D...yes I see a while back that you lost the range...is the wall at the old range still there [ with all the signstures ]

3 hours ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

I don't forget good people that I've met:D...yes I see a while back that you lost the range...is the wall at the old range still there [ with all the signstures ]

The last time I was there a couple of years ago, it was the same.......signatures still there.

My brother in-law is 6’-7” and wanted me to teach him about shotgun games, mainly sporting clays. I’m 6’-0” but let him borrow what I had.  

He was having fun and getting better, but quickly plateaued and got frustrated. My shotgun in his hands looked like a toothpick, but I couldn’t convince him to get a custom stock for his gun. 

In a moment of frustration I blurted out that he wouldn’t run a marathon in shoes that don’t fit. Why shoot a round of clays with a gun that doesn’t fit?

He took the advice. Got a new stock. Now he cleans my clock at trap and gives me a run for my money at clays. 

21 hours ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

Yep your right Kid, my biggest problem is me , never the gun. I tend sometimes to lift my head..the high rib stops this & gives a better view of the target. I was never really interested in the high rib but am a convert now as it is the most relaxed I have felt in clay shooting for quite a while..I will re evaluate after a few months, I am confident it will suit me well.Going to hit the pattern board next week  to make sure I have a 80/20 split then lock it down .Got quite a few trap comps coming up so time will tell.

yup , i have always been making those same errors - i like to see them break , im glad you have found something you like and have invested in what you want to do , enjoy that new shotgun , i think it will serve you well  it looks like you have the right equipment to get the job done , , im well past my shooting prime and wont invest in the equipment for something i cant enjoy but i still shoot some sporting clays from time to time in the summer with my remington 1100 sporting , its not the gun id use if i was still good at this but it does serve the purpose well enough 

Both of my daughter's sons competed in youth trap.  There was one competitor who had a Perazzi trap gun.  It looked out of place with its' single barrel & high rib that looked like a causeway.  Being that the area was in the Amador, Calaveras & El Dorado counties of CA the median family income is not high enough for most families to own an expensive special purpose shot gun.

I didn't realize the importance of stock fitting on a wing shooting shotgun until I bought a Benellii SBE II so I could shoot 3" shells.  My skill at hitting clays & ducks increased by a factor of 2x-3x.

When gun controllers require  shotguns for deer hunting, I have found ribs to be great for slug guns.

That's also a great excuse to buy another gun!!!

There is so much fun with guns that require different ones for each variety that I'm thinking about another gun safe!!!

:-)

Archived