SASS Wire Forum

Time for today's strange question

Alpo

Does the hair at the top of your head grow as fast as the hair at the bottom of your head? That is, does the hair on your scalp grow as fast as your beard?

Just watching a season 12 NCIS episode. Fornell has shaved his head. And he is clean shaven.

Gibbs takes him off to his cabin in the woods to dry him out, because Fornell has been pouring down the booze ever since Diane got shot.

So Gibbs takes him out in the woods on day one, keeps him out in the woods all day long of day two, and we see him in the night of day two.

He's got two days of scruffy growth on his face. And his head is as smooth as a billiard ball.

Possible? Or television show screw up? If head hair grows at the same speed as face hair, and he has a face full of stubble then he should also have a head full of stubble.

And while I know how fast face hair grows, having never shaved my head I don't know how fast that comes back.

I’m not sure of the growth rate of your hair, but my son, Hatfield, can shave his head in the morning and the next morning you can’t see his scalp.  He got that mop from his mom!!

I knew a Lt in Vietnam who would have a full beard in three days if he didn’t shave. If his head hair had grown as fast he would have looked like Fabio when he came off patrol. So based strictly on anecdotal evidence, I would opine that facial hair grows faster than brain covering hair.

3 hours ago, watab kid said:

i think fornell is bald - that head aint growin no hair 

This is season 12 - the season my question is about.

600px-NCISS12E12-02.jpg

Head shaved as clean as a billiard ball.

This is season 18 - 6 years later.

1280971.jpg

While it is true there don't seem to be a whole lot on the top, there is a lot of hair on the sides.

5 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I knew a Lt in Vietnam who would have a full beard in three days if he didn’t shave

My 7th grade PE coach was a scoutmaster. Not my troop, but still a scoutmaster.

He forgot to pack his razor when he went to summer camp one year. At the end of that week he had a full beard. That was impressive to that 16 year old boy I used to be that was attempting to grow a beard.

A guy that worked for me would come to work clean shaven, at the end of the day he had decent growth that from any distance looked like a black beard. Over a couple days, it was a full fledged beard. Would take me a few weeks to grow up hat much beard and my left side grows faster than I the right!

Worked with a guy who brought an electric razor to work and shaved at lunch break.  If he didn't, he would have a quarter inch beard by end of day.  He was bald on top by the time he was 25.

28 minutes ago, Matthew Duncan said:

The hair on top of your head grows against  gravity thereby growing slower then hair growing with gravity.

That actually, almost, makes sense. B)

25 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

Wasn't there a famous Anthem ♪ "Gimme a head with hair...."

Oh-oh say, can you see

My-y eyes, if you can

Then, my hair's too short!

The hair on top of my head grows faster than the hair on the sides and back of my head. The hair in my mustache grows faster than my beard. 

1 hour ago, Matthew Duncan said:

The hair on top of your head grows against  gravity thereby growing slower then hair growing with gravity.

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

That actually, almost, makes sense. B)

As much sense as anything ELSE I've read here, anyway.:wacko:

As I have said before, I have not lost any hair.

It has simply migrated to places where I DON’T NEED HAIR!!

During my recent incarceration I didn't shave my sideburns for nine days and came away with a really good looking set.  Not huge like Burnside's, more like the TV guy who was billed as the most fascinating man in the world or some such nonsense.  They get better looking as the days go by.  I think I'll keep them, but the rest is due to be mowed this week.....sometime.....maybe.

5 minutes ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Actually, when Hair was on Broadway, I was working in New York and managed to score some virtually unobtainable tickets.  Took a hot new girlfriend.  Was conservative even then and walked out pretty quick (she was not amused.  A bit too anti American for me.  Who could have imagined the dialogs of today!

Went to college with a guy with facial hair so thick, if he didn't shave every other day, his electric razor was useless. It would just bog down. He'd then have to revert to a razor blade.

Also I worked with a guy whose wife always said to him "You ain't bald honey, you just got some extra face".

Archived