SASS Wire Forum

.41 magnum, anyone?

Dantankerous

Those who love the .41 are quite enthusiastic, and I totally understand. My dad’s friend had one when I was in high school and it was sweet. 

That being said, I’m a wheel gun fan to the core and my 357s and 44 mags let me run the spectrum from mild 38s to hot 357s to solid 44 specials to full house 44 magnums. 

I don’t see a gap in that line which needs a whole new cartridge and gun. 

I like the 41 mag. and have killed a six point Elk and 4x4 mulie and lot's of smaller stuff ....

It was my second S & W handgun, it had a 6 inch barrel ...

My first was a Model  10 with a 5 inch barrel...

Jabez Cowboy 

I just remembered that when Cabela’s first opened up in Tualatin Oregon I was in their gun library looking around. There were several people in there. I spied an S&W model 57 in pristine condition (from what I could see) in the case and I am pretty sure it had an $899 price tag on it. 
A clerk asked me if I wanted to look at anything and even though I knew my wife would have a cow if I bought another gun and I had no intention of buying it I still said that I would like to look at the 57. 
He got it out and handed it to me. It had no blemishes except for a very light turn ring on the cylinder. It had the factory Target grips. The clerk said it had its original box. 
As I was admiring it I noticed a younger guy watching my, the gun and the clerk very intently from about 8’ away. I had noticed him earlier and recognized that look. That look of “I hope that guy doesn’t buy that” look. 
Many times I have had people buy things out from under me. A couple of times they were so-called “friends” that did it because they were - never mind. Headed for the weeds…

Anyway, I asked the guy if he wanted to check it out and I am pretty sure he teleported over. He was there in a flash. 
He explained that his Dad had one and when he died the 57 went to an uncle and that he wanted the 57 really bad. It was his Dad’s favorite. 
I wished him well and left. 

It wasn’t too long after that I started noticing that my right thumb joint where it meets the wrist and my wrist in general hurt after shooting, of all things, a Kel Tec P3AT and I started reevaluating my shooting habits. 

I picked up two boxes of what appears to be 41 magnum reloads in a reloading component purchase.  I've never had a 41 magnum, as they are scarce as hens teeth around here.  I have one friend who has a S&W, and to my knowledge, he hasn't shot it in 20 plus years.  

Remember fun days. LGS stocked 41  Rem 210 JHP bullets for $12.49 per 100.  After 18 to 24 months of non sale, they would mark them down to $2.99.   Time for me to restock.  Shortly after they realize they didn't have any 41 bullets in stock .  And so the circle continues......GW

It followed me home. :D Traded something that was just taking up space for this. THIS will be well used.

Now, just need ammo.

20230116_183002.jpg

On 1/16/2023 at 6:31 PM, Dantankerous said:

It followed me home. :D Traded something that was just taking up space for this. THIS will be well used.

Now, just need ammo.

20230116_183002.jpg

Sweet!

JHC

On 1/16/2023 at 8:56 AM, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

have been aroud several , but they go away pretty fast , 

before the twister got the shop , I HAD dies , brass and bullets , 

stuff was so messed up , it went to the scrap yard 

mother nature , givith , and taketh away 

CB 

sad clown.jpg

On 1/16/2023 at 6:31 PM, Dantankerous said:

Now, just need ammo.

20230116_183002.jpg

I have no great stores like other calibers, but I might can scrape up some components for a SASS pard. PM me if you can't find anything. Times are tough right now. I scoped a 98 Mauser 8mm a couple years ago and had the devil's own time finding 8x57 components. Kinda like the .41, it's a great round, just never caught on in the US.

JHC

On 1/15/2023 at 9:29 PM, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

Those who love the .41 are quite enthusiastic, and I totally understand. My dad’s friend had one when I was in high school and it was sweet. 

That being said, I’m a wheel gun fan to the core and my 357s and 44 mags let me run the spectrum from mild 38s to hot 357s to solid 44 specials to full house 44 magnums. 

I don’t see a gap in that line which needs a whole new cartridge and gun. 

I wouldn't go shopping for one if I didn't have mine. I found my 6 1/2" Blackhawk in a pawn shop back when I was backpacking into bear country. It was considerably lighter than my Smith 629, and for all practical purposes a .41 will pretty much do anything a .44 Mag will do, it's only 19 thousands smaller, and the subjective recoil seems way more civilized. Plus, the same wizard pistolsmith that tuned my 629 cut the first 1/4" of sear off the Blackhawk to where it won't QUITE pick up 2 1/2 lbs of actual weight, and breaks clean as a glass rod. Wouldn't let me pay him, it was a graduation present when I got out of college. And no, it's not for sale either. :wub:

JHC

Archived