SASS Wire Forum

Where are New Original Henry rifles made?

Tucson Taylor

So,  I just realized that the Henry Repeating Arms Company headquarters is just a 3 hour drive from my house. I can foresee a pilgrimage in the future.

A question came to mind...where are New Original Henry(1860) rifles made? Are they made in the USA at their headquarters in Rice Lake WI?

Are they imported from Italy or Japan?  I've heard many good things about this version of the original Henry 1860 design and am curious about its origins.

Thanks for looking and have a Blessed day!

Tucson Taylor

My understanding is that they're made in Rice Lake, WI.  I picked up across the street from them a few years back, and wanted to take a factory tour, but didn't have enough time.  

Henry USA does make a copy of an original toggle link Henry.    Henry USA has no connection to the original Volcanic Arm Co Henry.   The majority of the Henry’s come from Uberti in Italy.  

12 minutes ago, Not Dead Ed said:

Henry USA does make a copy of an original toggle link Henry.    Henry USA has no connection to the original Volcanic Arm Co Henry.   The majority of the Henry’s come from Uberti in Italy.  

Au contraire.  https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/the-original-henry-rifle/

Henry Repeating Arms is the leading lever action manufacturer and one of the top-five long gun manufacturers in the USA. We aim to manufacture a line of classic, well-crafted firearms that every enthusiast can afford. Our employees’ passion, expertise, and dedication embody the company’s motto, “Made in America, Or Not Made At All.” So rest assured, when you read the roll mark on the barrel of a Henry, it’s going to say “Made in USA.”

I personally dislike Henry Repeating Arms and their sales tactics, don't really care for their "Big Boy" rifles, wish they'd own up about the origins of their .22 levergun... but... I applaud their adherence to their motto.  

28 minutes ago, Griff said:

I personally dislike Henry Repeating Arms and their sales tactics, don't really care for their "Big Boy" rifles, wish they'd own up about the origins of their .22 levergun... but... I applaud their adherence to their motto.  

28 minutes ago, Griff said:

HenryUSA (the Big Boy guys) do indeed make a new version of the original Henry.   However that company has no connection at all to the original company that produced Henry Rifles.  That was Volcanic, which was bought by Winchester.    
in addition to Henry USA, Uberti makes Henry Rifle clones used by more people than the Henry USA version.  This is due to the fact that the Henry, 1866, and 1873 all have the same toggle link action in them.  
their 22 levergun came lock stock barrel and tooling from Germany, however it is made here now, and it’s a good little gun once you give it the Widdermatic  treatment and work off the paint and get the bolt back to spec width, and change out all the springs for Farm truck springs.   

21D9D148-0455-426B-B3C0-79516C1A8768.png

26EC4489-5171-4350-9AFA-40659DFED3DA.png

A lot of people dislike how the modern Henry company has advertising that implies a connection to the original Henry company.   No such connection exists.

In fact, technically, the original Henry company does still exist.  It's called "Winchester."  While they do still make ammunition, they don't many ANY guns.  Rather, they license the name to others to make guns for them.

Not Dead Ed, sorry. I misread your first post, somehow I read "not' in that sentence.  

First thing is we are fortunate to have Uberti and that Henry co producing the 1860 rifles. I had the opportunity to compare my Uberti 1860 to a real original 1860 side by side for comparison. We all know the real original 1860 was chambered in 44 Henry rim fire and had a tapered bore and the beginning of the wonderful age of lever action rifles.

The original 1860 has a slightly shorter receiver to accommodate the 44 Henry cartridge but otherwise these modern 1860s are very close to the original. I've had my 1860 Henry rechambered for 44 Special and use 44 Russian rounds with a modified carrier to load 16 rounds. Only need ten rounds for SASS matches but still enjoy fully loading my Henry with 44 Russian for recreation. The Henry Co. ads bother me and seems deceptive. The only calibers available are 44-40 and 45 Colt for the modern 1860s and always thought it would be nice if 44 Russian or a shorter 45 Colt caliber could be produced by either company. I know I'm always wanting something different.

I would also like to see them make the 1860 in 44 Russian.

I got the 1860 in the 20" barrel 44/40.I do enjoy it.

Largo

I had an 1860 Uberti 44-40 shortened to 16.5", rechambered to 44 special, put a stop in the carrier to use 44 Russian and it holds 10!

I have a Henry USA 1860 rifle hanging on the wall in my office.  Put 8 rounds through it and determined it was too pretty to shoot.  Quite a conversation piece.

Archived