SASS Wire Forum

New Horn for vehicles

Lawdog Dago Dom

I allus wanted one that was LOUD amplified brakes screeching.

Countless times I've had to wait for some idiot (idiette?) to saunter across a walkway, literally and deliberately slowing down to tary in the crosswalk when they'd see a young (I was once!) white dude behind the wheel.  My fantasy... to hit the "horn" switch and sound like I was barreling down on 'em with failing brakes.  :rolleyes:

I can’t remember the last time I used my horn for anything other than to move stupid livestock or wildlife out of the road.

A gun sound horn might just get you shot. 

Love the screeching brake horn idea @Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967:lol:

A fad in Oregon was train air chimes with a tank and compressor on pick up trucks. An air chime with a 120 Db 3 or 5 horn diesel locomotive set up would be really freakin’ loud snd heard blocks away. 
We were always getting guys coming to our rail shop looking to score horns. We had no spares. We did have some in surplus and a set was stolen. I am positive I know who did it but couldn’t prove it. 
I knew a guy that had 4 sets of train horns mounted in his truck. 1 under the hood and 3 under the truck. He could sound each set using switches in the cab hooked up to an air manifold. He had a compressor and a 30 gallon air tank in the bed of the truck. He couldn’t blow them all at the same time but had plans to do so. What a nut!

I saw him clear a crosswalk one day with a blast from his UP locomotive set. It was hilarious…but not to the people in the crosswalk. :lol:
The last time I saw him he had removed all of his horns to take it to the county courthouse to clear a fix-it-ticket. It seems he blew his air horns at a cop. The officer didn’t see, or hear, the humor in it. 

6 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

When American made cars arrive in India, the horns are routinely replaced by more durable horns. Indians use their horns a lot.

LIKE THIS?

image.jpeg.1fd4c0e6992c1ab2013206e3f2e69073.jpeg

Howdy,

I got a set of Italian air horns for one of my cars that made decent HONK.

they were not expensive and wired right into a number of cars.

When I sold a car I could switch back to stock in a few minutes.

I always left the stock ones right there.

They left with my Camaro and I hardly use the horn any more.

I learned to turn off the hurry when recovering from surgery.

Im happy to let folks in a hurry smash into each other.

To be painfully honest there is one place I do use the horn.

There is a left turn lane with a green arrow only light.

Even if there is not another car in sight you can still get ticket for turn.

A fair number of drivers seem to like to sleep at the front of the lane.

It takes a long time for all the lights to cycle. So HONK it is.

Funny but I doubt anyone in the intersection can tell who honked. hahahaha.

Best

CR

I put many years under the lights-and-siren.

I found that motorists who ignored yelp, wail and hi-lo, jumped like a scared jackrabbit when I laid on the air horns.

They'd cheerfully ignore an emergency vehicle, but they apparently had no wish to get eaten by a Kenworth for breakfast.

I put nautilus electric air horns on my my motorcycles. 30 amp relay keyed to the horn button and you don't need loud pipes.

Screenshot_20230114-092027_Brave.thumb.jpg.8011ad16f12987a5cbafc02d97748f35.jpg

I worked at a lead smelter from '78-'01, and we had a big iron & steel scrap pile. One day, I discovered a massive air horn that had come in, something off an old locomotive maybe. This thing was 4' long, easy. We had the welder's shop make us an air tank that replaced the front bumper of our old work truck, and mounted that big ol' horn under the hood with a ball valve in the cab. The plant was noisy enough where a pickup rolling up behind you went unnoticed, so we'd drive around the plant looking for a victim, roll up about four feet behind him, and flip the ball valve open. :lol: Good times.

20 hours ago, Texas Joker said:

I put nautilus electric air horns on my my motorcycles. 30 amp relay keyed to the horn button and you don't need loud pipes.

Screenshot_20230114-092027_Brave.thumb.jpg.8011ad16f12987a5cbafc02d97748f35.jpg

Thanks 

Interesting. I found a quick video with what the horn sounds like. I checked these out in line but the sound you hear from the website isn’t so great. In this video it’s mounted on a van. Definitely an attention getter. 

On 1/13/2023 at 9:54 PM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I can’t remember the last time I used my horn for anything other than to move stupid livestock or wildlife out of the road.

Actually, here in Montana, with a lot of open range, you don't need the horn, you just have to keep moving very slowly.  Not the brightest creatures, but generally they are used to being around trucks.  You don't want to move at speed with random young ones along the road, you never know what they will do.

On 1/14/2023 at 5:53 AM, Chili Ron said:

Im happy to let folks in a hurry smash into each other.

Some folks are just determined to the first person at the scene of an accident.

Archived