SASS Wire Forum

Gas Check Serpent Shotshell

Okiepan

Has anyone either used or made Pistol Shot shell utilizing a gas check to keep the shot in ?

Since plastic shells are rather quite hefty ( 50 per box ) Compared to the Box of gas checks (1,000) 

Any comments appreciated.

I've made shotshells using overshot cards that I punched out of non-

corrugated cardboard . Iused a hollow punch from Harbor Freight .

The punches were really cheap, probably cost less than the gsa checks.

Of course , YMMV.

Choctaw

years ago RCBS made a shotshell die for 45 acp, you used a 308 case cut down and reformed, made your own overshot wad by stamping a 45 acp case into light cardboard, added shot and then added a gas check and crimped it, I have no idea why they worked because they had a rounded end on the case so they couldent headspace on the cartridge rim, I think the extractor just held them tight enough against the slide face for the firing pin to set them off, they did work but they never caught on and I bet finding that die now would be hard to do. picture is of one I made 30 or more years ago

45 shotshell.jpeg

The "old timers" talked about using gas checks on top and bottom of shot column.    More shrapnel the better,   I hhave made shotshells for 50 years but only for S&W 45 acp revolvers.  Cut off 308 cases to cylinder length, but never had gas checks the right size to fit..Could not justify buying 500 for a few cases.      GW

Archived