SASS Wire Forum

Roll Crimp Smokeless 12 ga. Question.

Reverend P. Babcock Chase

I am in serious need of adult supervision. I currently have a good load that runs through my MEC and most of my shotguns. 

Here's the problem, I have discovered that my '87 much prefers shorter, roll crimped shells. 

The Question: Can I use my regular load (Clays, plastic wad etc.) but roll crimp (with over shot wad) in shells that have had the fold crimp section trimmed?

It would make life real easy if I can load without changing my MEC setup then crimp on the drill press.

Help,

Rev. Chase 

I've done it for BP Plainsman, using an antique roll crimper. Work great. The drill press crimper from Ballistic Products looks like it would a tad better. The antique clamps horizontal and can make it tricky getting the shell in it without the shot and card pouring out. 

I trim AA's to 2.5"  I run them through my Mec press, and everything is set the same way as for 2.75" shells.  I get a nice "roll crimp" that holds the overshot card in place.

I run these in my Winchester 87 and 97s  The work okay in my 870 too, but will not cycle my Auto5 or 1100, even though it's the same load.

Go figure.

4 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

I trim AA's to 2.5"  I run them through my Mec press, and everything is set the same way as for 2.75" shells.  I get a nice "roll crimp" that holds the overshot card in place.

I run these in my Winchester 87 and 97s  The work okay in my 870 too, but will not cycle my Auto5 or 1100, even though it's the same load.

Go figure.

I'll have to give that a try , thanks.

1 hour ago, Eyesa Horg said:

I've done it for BP Plainsman, using an antique roll crimper. Work great. The drill press crimper from Ballistic Products looks like it would a tad better. The antique clamps horizontal and can make it tricky getting the shell in it without the shot and card pouring out. 

I also have an antique roll crimper.  Haven't used it in a long time (no real need, just thought roll-crimped shells looked cool ;) ).  I had the same problem with the sideways mounting leaking shot.  Although I haven't tried it, I thought maybe mounting it to a vertical surface might work better than to a horizontal table top.

1 minute ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

I also have an antique roll crimper.  Haven't used it in a long time (no real need, just thought roll-crimped shells looked cool ;) ).  I had the same problem with the sideways mounting leaking shot.  Although I haven't tried it, I thought maybe mounting it to a vertical surface might work better than to a horizontal table top.

That's precisely what I was going to do next time. Maybe that's how it's supposed to be used and we all presume it should be horizontal. Just seems there'd be minimal vertical surfaces to use, even back then. I hang an Acro bix right under it in case of premature discharge! They probably had tighter fitting overshot cards. Gotta just hold your tongue right. :lol:

59 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Go figure.

1100 and A5 are both amazing.  Here is info on the 1100 with light loads https://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial/gunsmithing_st_1100loads_200808/100259

On the Browning, you have to adjust the friction rings for light or heavy.  Haven't had occasion to use that one in a good few years. 

16 hours ago, Reverend P. Babcock Chase said:

I am in serious need of adult supervision. I currently have a good load that runs through my MEC and most of my shotguns. 

Here's the problem, I have discovered that my '87 much prefers shorter, roll crimped shells. 

The Question: Can I use my regular load (Clays, plastic wad etc.) but roll crimp (with over shot wad) in shells that have had the fold crimp section trimmed?

It would make life real easy if I can load without changing my MEC setup then crimp on the drill press.

Help,

Rev. Chase 

You've been in serious need of adult supervision as long as I've known you.  :P

Yes you can do the above.  You can also switch to fiber wads and over powder cards, it might be quicker than cutting the plastic wads

Howdy H.K.,

Above you said that you run the 2 1/2 inch shells through your MEC and get a good roll crimp. Do you get roll crimp from the final crimp station on the press or do you add the roll crimp as a separate step off the press? I already have the separate roll crimp die, shell clamp and drill press. Although it would be good to know I can do it all on the press.

Rev. Chase

You can also get Short Wads from Ballistic.They are for short shells when you roll crimp.

Largo

On 1/12/2023 at 4:52 PM, Reverend P. Babcock Chase said:

Help,

Rev. Chase 

Yes !

I roll crimp all of my BP sg shells and have found the antique roll crimpers make a nicer crimp. That said I have switched over to using my drill press with the roll crimper die. Yes I have gotten a tad lazy. I take a q-tip and run a bit of lube around the inside of the die before I begin. 

Hochbauer

2 hours ago, Reverend P. Babcock Chase said:

Thanx All,

Especially Warden for the tutorial. I will have to try your trimming method.

Rev. Chase

Not my idea but seen it on YouTube sometime.  But I did go to Harbour Freight and bought some "grippy" gloves that work better and saves my hands. 

When I start to load a batch, I get the hulls and set up tools, etc. Then set and trim my loading blocks full.  Step by step until I have what i figure is a season worth done.  This is something I do in the cold winter while settling next to stove.

H.k. has the right idea. I have a mec grabber and in a progressive press you can load roll crimp as fast as star crimp. The hard part is cutting the cases . I take a piece of p.v.c pipe that will accept a 12 gauge shell, cut it to length, slide in the shell and cut it with a Dremel tool, and years ago I bought a wad cutter tool that mounts in my drill press and I can cut overshot wads from milk jug plastic. Once the case is cut the overshot wads will go in easy because you won't have to fight the old crimp folds.Try to have fun with , it's easier than it sounds.:D

Recently there was a topic about salvaging components from shotshells, and several tools were mentioned which cut the hull open.  Seems like one of those might be good for cutting off the crimp folds.

I made a jig for my chop/miter saw. Using a fine toothed trim blade it is fast and easy.

I use Band saw to cut close to the fold on the crimp,  Duck tape a paint stir stick to compensate for the rim.  Does not have to be neat or pretty.  Drill press and roll crimper with a little parafin or bees wax every 5 shell.  You want that crimper hot and to stay hot to melt the plastic back down.  When done the shell will have a very slight taper to it.  Really works great with the cheap shells that everybody throws away which is great if shooting BP.  You might get 2 reloads with some of the better green hulls but who cares about the burn through using BP when the cheap discards perform so well with a melt roll crimp.

On 1/14/2023 at 6:29 PM, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Recently there was a topic about salvaging components from shotshells, and several tools were mentioned which cut the hull open.  Seems like one of those might be good for cutting off the crimp folds.

This is what I use.

1475117440_JewellersLathe.thumb.jpg.6a2ee9a79ad2b8ddcbd0b304a0736f1b.jpg

Archived