SASS Wire Forum

New shooters rule question

Yellowstone Curtis 112957

I am new to this sport/lifestyle. I have read through the rules and can't find the answer.

I am intending on shooting gunfighter. I have my leather, slim jim style holsters, using 1851 conversion with 5.5 length barrels.

I have some left shoulder issues due to living longer than I expected.

Is there any rule that identifies how high or low your belt must be worn? High waist position is a tough draw for me. It may improve. However if I wear the belt a little lower I feel comfortable. I saw nothing that addresses leg ties from the bottom of the holster to stabilize them. I know they are most likely used in B Western category. Are they prohibited in Gun Fighter?

Thanks

Yellowstone Curtis

4 minutes ago, Yellowstone Curtis 112957 said:

I am new to this sport/lifestyle. I have read through the rules and can't find the answer.

I am intending on shooting gunfighter. I have my leather, slim jim style holsters, using 1851 conversion with 5.5 length barrels.

Is there any rule that identifies how high or low your belt must be worn?

NO.

High waist position is a tough draw for me. It may improve. However if I wear the belt a little lower I feel comfortable. I saw nothing that addresses leg ties from the bottom of the holster to stabilize them. I know they are most likely used in B Western category.

Are they prohibited in Gun Fighter?

NO.

Yellowstone, I was a new shooter last year.  As I have watched these pages the last ten months, if Pale Wolf weighs in, that is pretty much the end of discussion because he has given you the accurate, handbook answer!  He is the Go-To cowboy!  Enjoy the sport!  SB

Welcome Yellowstone Curtis! :)

As already pointed out there is no rule on how high to wear your belt. However, on the long run I'd recommend to get holsters with the right amount of drop so you can wear the belt where's the most comfortable for you. Although high riding slim jim holsters get you a lot of style points!! Only in the costume category Classic Cowboy the revolver butts have to ride at a minimum height on your belt, but you cannot shoot Gunfighter anyway in Classic.

It's imho an ambitious goal directly starting as Gunfighter in this game with its many rules. In some stages you have to think differently as a GF. Be aware that you can always shoot double duelist style in GF, you don't have to draw both pistols simultaneously. You can always shoot one pistol dry after the other in GF, just use each hand. You may consider to start your first matches in Duelist category and get saddle-fast in the game before going full GF.

Happy Trails,

Phil

Welcome to the game!!  Two rules are paramount. BE SAFE! HAVE FUN!!  If you follow those two rules, the rest will fall into place.

Find someone who is willing to take you through the ins and outs and take your time!!

There are plenty of folks who will be happy to share their knowledge and experience with you.  You’re joining this bunch for the shooting, but you’ll stay for the great people!

And yeah!! PaleWolf is the MAN when it comes to the rules!!

Welcome Yellowstone, to best game and folks goin'. Hang on for the addiction!

5a2a989e95497_SASSWelcome.JPG.ed5045d9abb98d8837093843c187d2e5.JPG

1 hour ago, Yellowstone Curtis 112957 said:

Is there any rule that identifies how high or low your belt must be worn? High waist position is a tough draw for me. It may improve. However if I wear the belt a little lower I feel comfortable. I saw nothing that addresses leg ties from the bottom of the holster to stabilize them. I know they are most likely used in B Western category. Are they prohibited in Gun Fighter?

Thanks

Yellowstone Curtis

Not to complicate things, but if you have a bad left wing, have you considered shooting duelist? 
Before launching into a gunfighter career, you might want to work on the basics using a traditional 2 handed grip. 
that said, if you want to shoot gunfighter, absolutely go for it.  

I do have a very experienced and talented mentor.  I do have a few decades of experience in using handguns with both hands. The gunfighter category fits well within my wheelhouse is why I chose it. If the mobility in my left shoulder becomes problematic to being safe. I will do a different category.  GF would be in my mind the most fun. I enjoy the challenges associated with GF.

Thanks for the replies

here is a video of me shooting a few years ago. In it you can see my rig and the amount of drop I have in my holsters. I had my leather guy put a significant drop in holsters. I also wear suspenders on my gun belt to keep it at the correct height.

Maybe it'll give you a few ideas.

Welcome to the place Yellowstone!

Update:

High rise Slim Jim isn't going to work for me. I do need a bit of drop with the left side holster. I put a WTB to see what is out there. I will drop both sides just to keep my gig line straight.

On 1/12/2023 at 8:41 AM, Not Dead Ed said:

Not to complicate things, but if you have a bad left wing, have you considered shooting duelist? 
Before launching into a gunfighter career, you might want to work on the basics using a traditional 2 handed grip. 
that said, if you want to shoot gunfighter, absolutely go for it.  

I have always wanted to shoot gun fighter, started dualist mostly double duelist but tango uniform right shoulder made shooting more than about 2 stages with that arm iffy so would start double duelist and end up swapping gun to left hand after a stage or two.  By the way one cannot swap hands on a cocked gun. Never was able to shoot gunfighter, and sadly now left arm is iffy for holding pistol for a whole stage so it is two handed from now on.

welcome to the gunfighters tribe, I have a bad right wing for the same reasons as you, I run my holsters right over where my front pockets are and I find that makes drawing the pistols a little bit easier since my right shoulder does not want to arch back or up very well, I shoot with  5.5" barrels on my guns and my holsters are made so the grips fall partway above my belt so I can use the same rig if I want to shoot classic cowboy, (probably higher than your rig) if you run a separate shotgun belt its probably going to put your shotgun shells high on your belly which may be hard if your drawing shells with your left paw, might be worth trying a shotgun shell slide on your gun belt

Archived