SASS Wire Forum

The Rise and Fall of California

Some of us saw this coming...some earlier than others (I was a bit late myself)...and ran for our lives.  For many others it is now imperative that they bail out.  Many others, for reasons from economic to personal to any number of others, the time will never come.

For these I mourn, because NOBODY deserves this tragic future except those very few who are using it to further their own empires, and they are NOT the ones suffering from it all.

One of the few classes I took while attending college was an elective class on California. I still have the book. It was an eye opener on how it got to where it is.

Mulholland went to he Owens valley and start buying water rights. Ranchers were like, " i don't need that much water'. He then sold access to the water to the California Department of Water and Power. Mulholland his buddies got rich and the valley almost went dry. People in the valley still hate the DWP.

What the video sort of got too was, population is declining. But the people coming into Calif. to offset retirees, businesses are low income, illegals etc. All of whom drain the social benefits funding. 

I read another study that said California is loosing all the people and taxes to support the system and will soon face collapse.

29 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Mulholland went to he Owens valley and start buying water rights. Ranchers were like, " i don't need that much water'. He then sold access to the water to the California Department of Water and Power. Mulholland his buddies got rich and the valley almost went dry. People in the valley still hate the DWP.

The movie “Chinatown” is loosely based on this. A pretty good film noir. 

I was born and raised in southern California (I am 81 now) and also a 5th generation Californio. My relatives came during the gold rush to the Stockton area and hauled freight to the mining areas. I was a great place to live until about 1970, then just got to be too many people. 

I worked as an aerospace engineer after college. Started on the Apollo and worked until I retired in 2000. Lived in Downey until my wife and I moved to SW Colorado. We realized in about 1975 that we would not stay in California when I retired. Spent 30 years looking in the western states and decided on SW Colorado. I could write a book on whats wrong (IMHO) with California and why I we left, but I'm sure anyone else from California who lived there longterm, could do the same. 

Under our current government, just change the word California to Canada and you will have the same story

4 minutes ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

I was born and raised in California 

I am like you big sage, born and raised. I noticed  the problem when I got out of the army in '84. Got divorced then remarried and move to Colorado  then moved back to California 7 years later. Did not recognize  the town I grew up in, got lost a number of times because they literally  move roads and the politics in Sonoma  County went from red to blue. Finally  moved out and ain't never moving  back

21 hours ago, The Shoer 27979 said:

Did not recognize  the town I grew up in, got lost a number of times because they literally  move roads and the politics in Sonoma  County went from red to blue. Finally  moved out and ain't never moving  back

This is my same story, but with Boise ID.
Change "Sonoma County" to "Ada County" and the story is exactly the same.

We also lived in Sonoma County, but left in '88 for CO.
We would have stayed in CO but for the aerospace industry going flat and getting sold off, so back to CA we went to a waiting job.

I recall one of my University Professors talking about Real Economics and Practical Economics one time over a beer. (I was a mature student)

He described a study, he was involved in, where the decisions to relocate a business or industry could depend on the affect of the political or economic climate on the Decider(s) on how it would affect THEM personally.

Archived