SASS Wire Forum

Homemade Rat Steam Engine on Live Steam

Buckshot Bear

Homemade Rat Steam Engine on Live Steam

Know what a Rat Rod is? This is a Rat Steam Engine :) My 12 year old Grandson with my help, made this out of some plumbing bits and pieces ..... 4 hours in the workshop one day and 4 hours the next day. It's all silver brazed except for the steam and exhaust inlet & outlet. He learnt a lot and I had 8 hours of absolute bliss with him! It's rough....but it goes!

It was hard to not 'take over' and just keep instructing him through the whole process warts and all.
He did a great job from brazing on the hearth right through to getting it to run.

1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Good job.  I hope he still has it when he's my age and finds a spot to display it on the mantle.

Thanks Forty, he's that type of boy so I'm sure he'll cherish it.

I hope you're feelin' better each and every day mate! All the very best to you for 2023.

Nicely done!!  Those skills will stand the young man in good stead for the rest of his life.

I have used the skills my grandfather and my dad taught me for many many years.  Some of those things have totally amazed my fellow workers and my employers over the years!

Summers in the basement and nights and weekends in the garage showed me things that I would never have learned in school and put me ahead of others my age when I started earning a paycheck!

I never worked for minimum wage and often made more money than others twice my age because I had those skills!

Now I get to pass those things on to my grandkids.  THAT’S THE REAL FUN!!

Bear, that is just the coolest thing mate! You have to be the best Grandpa goin' in those kids eyes. Great job!

11 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Thanks Forty, he's that type of boy so I'm sure he'll cherish it.

I hope you're feelin' better each and every day mate! All the very best to you for 2023.

I'm feeling a lot better.  My medical support crowd (God bless them one and all) have decided I may be worn out over time, but never broken beyond repair.

I have three appointments today with various departments, four if you count dental (and I have no clue what that's all about).

Thanks to all of you for the good thoughts and wishes and prayers.  I'm lucky on so many levels I can't begin to count them all.

As for the boy, if he can get my Impala running send him up here and he can live with me until he begins to earn more than I do....then I'll live with him.  :P

I don't even care if he does talk funny!

19 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Nicely done!!  Those skills will stand the young man in good stead for the rest of his life.

I have used the skills my grandfather and my dad taught me for many many years.  Some of those things have totally amazed my fellow workers and my employers over the years!

Summers in the basement and nights and weekends in the garage showed me things that I would never have learned in school and put me ahead of others my age when I started earning a paycheck!

I never worked for minimum wage and often made more money than others twice my age because I had those skills!

Now I get to pass those things on to my grandkids.  THAT’S THE REAL FUN!!

It's hard to beat hands on skills isn't it?

Archived