SASS Wire Forum

direction of Ruger hammer pivot pin

Nostrum Damus SASS #110702

On both the Ruger Vaquero and New Model Vaquero pistols, as long as the longer bottom rear frame screw is on the same side of the gun as the groove in the hammer pivot pin, does it make any difference whether that side is the left side or the right side of the gun?  I can't see that it makes any difference at all.  Ruger says "make sure to remember which side the longer screw goes in," but they also say it varies from one gun to the next -- in other words there is no "correct" orientation.  What say y'all?

9 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Opposite side of cylinder loading gate

This is how I have them, mostly so my OCD doesn’t go nuts. I don’t have to remember much if they are all the same. 
Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:
Gateway Kid

2 hours ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

This is how I have them, mostly so my OCD doesn’t go nuts. I don’t have to remember much if they are all the same. 
Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:
Gateway Kid

I agree -- and mine are all on the loading gate side.  I can't see that it makes any difference -- I just want them all on loading gate side, or all on the the other side.  So I switched my OMVs to make it so.  

I have taken brand new guns apart and found them on opposite sides. Mine go to the loading gate side that way trigger pin cut and hammer pin cut are on same side. 

5 minutes ago, SGT. ELI 35882 GUNFIGHTER said:

I have taken brand new guns apart and found them on opposite sides. Mine go to the loading gate side that way trigger pin cut and hammer pin cut are on same side. 

And I think that just about sums it up -- it makes no difference at all, as long as the hammer pin groove and the long screw are on the same side.

FYI, some refer to OCD but that demonstrates they do not fully qualify for the disorder.. 
To be accurate, it is Compulsive Disorder & Obsessive (CDO) 

Then it is alphabetical and correct. . . .   :D

Makes NO difference.  Just need to make sure the long shanked screw is on the same side as the groove.  On the Wranglers Ruger put a groove on each end of the pin.  Maybe they will wind up doing the same thing on all their single actions.

DSC_0034.thumb.jpeg.2d7602f2b193b0955c0005c87e076251.jpeg

Archived