SASS Wire Forum

California pards

Rye Miles #13621

You guys okay? Lots of flooding and evacuations going on according to the news!

Kevin Costner said he couldn’t make it out of where he lives, Santa Barbera, ( I think) 

My daughter lives in Orange County and has a flooded garage. She bought some kind of water absorbing sand bags from Home Depot and she said they just plain suck. They didn’t hold back any water at all. Her family is okay but the water damage had yet to be assessed. 

It was pretty bad a couple of days ago but the communities are stepping up and helping all those in need.  Three vagrants in the river had to be airlifted out after ignoring repeated warnings to go to higher ground.  There were numerous evacuations in my town in places that never flooded before.  That seems to be a theme this go around. 

We got nearly 7" of rain in just over 24 hours so it wasn't a huge surprise.  Many roads in the county are washed out and/or undermined to the point they can't be driven on thus stranding folks in some areas.  CHP is flying in supplies to those in desperate need.

There was a 5 year old boy swept away when his mother tried to drive through swiftly running water.  The search is now turned into a recovery effort.  At least one other person in my county died when driving into deep water.

Friday and Saturday we get hit again but the storms look to be less vigorous.  The danger is the ground can't take any more water so it will be running into the drainages.  The road system is damaged in places and multiple mudslides have closed others.

The first responders are working around the clock so really deserve the praise they are getting. 

All in all, we're doing ok considering everything Mother Nature is throwing at us.

End of report.

Much of the extreme damage could be averted if the state had taken steps to direct the flooding and used sensible land and forest management. Letting radical groups define and establish policy has led to the continuous cycle of one disaster after another.

The drought/flood/drought/fire and over and over again should have long ago convinced the electorate that the path the government is on is the wrong one!!  

The political system in California is rigged to keep those in power now in office, as others have said.  Until something even more drastic happens or challenges through the courts break up the political stranglehold, you can certainly expect more of the same.

27 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

The political system in California is rigged to keep those in power now in office,

We have a limit of lifetime 12 total years in the Legislature.  After which they either go into local office (see Kevin "Ghost Gun" deLeon going from head  of the CA State Senate to the LA city council), or being high paid lobbyists for, usually, far left organizations.

13 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

We have a limit of lifetime 12 total years in the Legislature.  After which they either go into local office (see Kevin "Ghost Gun" deLeon going from head  of the CA State Senate to the LA city council), or being high paid lobbyists for, usually, far left organizations.

In the old days, it was called “Machine Politics” and it meant that when one scoundrel wore out his welcome, got too hot to handle, or some term limit forced him/her out, another worm was set up to take their place.

From what I understand, the machine in California is now legislated into a near permanent existence.

As I said in the previous post, unless and until something so drastic or horrible happens or the courts intervene, the good people of California are SCREWED!!

14 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

In the old days, it was called “Machine Politics” and it meant that when one scoundrel wore out his welcome, got too hot to handle, or some term limit forced him/her out, another worm was set up to take their place.

From what I understand, the machine in California is now legislated into a near permanent existence.

As I said in the previous post, unless and until something so drastic or horrible happens or the courts intervene, the good people of California are SCREWED!!

We had been dominated for decades by the San Francisco based Burton Machine (Tammany Hall West), but in the last decade a Los Angeles machine seems to have come into power. I can't put a name to that one, but it seems to be heavily Latino.  

6 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Much of the extreme damage could be averted if the state had taken steps to direct the flooding and used sensible land and forest management. Letting radical groups define and establish policy has led to the continuous cycle of one disaster after another.

The drought/flood/drought/fire and over and over again should have long ago convinced the electorate that the path the government is on is the wrong one!!  

The political system in California is rigged to keep those in power now in office, as others have said.  Until something even more drastic happens or challenges through the courts break up the political stranglehold, you can certainly expect more of the same.

The Russian River out near the ocean outlet always floods when there are heavy rains.  There are only two reservoirs on the river.  One near the headwaters, Lake Mendocino & one on a feeder near Geyserville, Lake Sonoma.  The Russian River  also receives water diverted from the S Fork of the Eel River above Lake Mendocino.  If PG&E is operating the turbine generator in Potter Valley there is more water running in the Russian River than the runoff from the river's watershed.  They probably aren't to reduce the flow unless there are flooding issues downstream on the Eel River.  MY scientific guess is the Eel is at flood stage because the normal winter storm weather is that the rainfall north of the Russian River water shed is greater.

30 minutes ago, J.D. Daily said:

The Russian River out near the ocean outlet always floods when there are heavy rains.  There are only two reservoirs on the river.  One near the headwaters, Lake Mendocino & one on a feeder near Geyserville, Lake Sonoma.  The Russian River  also receives water diverted from the S Fork of the Eel River above Lake Mendocino.  If PG&E is operating the turbine generator in Potter Valley there is more water running in the Russian River than the runoff from the river's watershed.  They probably aren't to reduce the flow unless there are flooding issues downstream on the Eel River.  MY scientific guess is the Eel is at flood stage because the normal winter storm weather is that the rainfall north of the Russian River water shed is greater.

This is some of what I’m talking about when I speak of “flood management”.  I’m certain that there are other places along these rivers and streams where reservoirs could and probably should have been built!

The drought conditions that plague California are seriously exacerbated by the lack of water management in these areas!  Water captured during the winter storm season could be used for irrigation and for fire fighting and the environment in the area would improve with better land management aided by the extra water.

Instead, the state is demolishing dams that COULD be improved or replaced because some idiots decided that the “rivers should be free”!

Search Results

Flood alert
Flood Warning
the San Francisco Bay Area

Main Results

General info
Affected area
Affected area map
View map
Alert summary
...FLOOD WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 5 AM PST THURSDAY...

* WHAT...Small stream flooding caused by excessive rainfall is
expected.

* WHERE...A portion of Sonoma county, including the Mark West Creek,
Green Valley Creek, Santa Rosa Creek, Laguna de Santa Rosa and
other tributaries feeding into the Russian River.

* WHEN...Until 500 AM PST Thursday.

* IMPACTS...Flooding of rivers, creeks, streams, and other low-lying
and flood-prone locations is imminent or occurring. Numerous roads
remain closed due to flooding. Streams continue to rise due to
excess runoff from earlier rainfall. Low-water crossings are
inundated with water and may not be passable.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...

- At 310 PM PST, Flooding is ongoing or expected to begin
shortly in the warned area. Between 0.5 and 1 inch of rain
has fallen. Excessive runoff will contribute to already
swollen streams.

- Additional rainfall amounts of 0.5 to 0.8 inches are possible
in the warned area.

- Some locations that will experience flooding include...
Santa Rosa, Forestville and Graton.

- http://www.weather.gov/safety/flood

On 1/11/2023 at 10:52 AM, Subdeacon Joe said:

Sonoma County is pretty good.  Lots of trees down, causing 2 deaths.  Some flooding.  Russian River evac orders have been lifted.

My mother still lives in Cotati on top of a hill so I am not worried  about her getting flooded

25 minutes ago, largo casey #19191 said:

Whats gonna happen when that 28' of snow melts?

Largo

Lots of reservoirs will fill up again.   

Shasta Lake, note how low the water is.

FB_IMG_1673554052560.thumb.jpg.d8152d08ae3152324ecccba25339e51d.jpg

FB_IMG_1673554092868.jpg.0a6cb8b932bf197aee294035b63707b6.jpg

That is typical of most N California lakes now.

While Berryessa isn't fed by Sierra melt:

FB_IMG_1673553982982.thumb.jpg.b28471d63d0a7262e288f27f255e6650.jpg

FB_IMG_1673553921730.thumb.jpg.1e641a118457d858852f5ad00ae9c047.jpg

Hetch Hetchy

FB_IMG_1673554535147.thumb.jpg.0a24f00756b5dad32d4b9c0cb8e432de.jpg

23 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

You may have 12 years but when you keep same circle in power for home many years you really dont have limits 

pel.PNG

16 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

This is some of what I’m talking about when I speak of “flood management”.  I’m certain that there are other places along these rivers and streams where reservoirs could and probably should have been built!

The drought conditions that plague California are seriously exacerbated by the lack of water management in these areas!  Water captured during the winter storm season could be used for irrigation and for fire fighting and the environment in the area would improve with better land management aided by the extra water.

Instead, the state is demolishing dams that COULD be improved or replaced because some idiots decided that the “rivers should be free”!

The options for increasing storage in the Russian River water shed are very limited & very expensive.  A major north south highway follows the river for many miles & would flood the city of Ukiah & the orchards & vineyards.  Rerouting hwy 101 would be a monumental task because there are mountains directly west & east.  The legal cost in time & money would be expensive & span decades.  It would be cheaper to use eminent domain to purchase the non ag property in the Russian River's flood plain.  Other than flooding the roadways every 20 years & dealing with a few mudslides blocking roads. the existing condition of the Russian River watershed is acceptable.  As for adding storage & flood control the existing dams could be raised which will affect some owners of private property.

P.S. I am one who would be affected if Scott Dam was raised.  Scott Dam creates Lake Pillsbury.  This was studied in the 80's but dropped when tree huggers became dominant in CA & DC.  The wild rivers people want to remove it which is up to the feds since, PG&E has declined to not renew their hydro license.  An organization including municipalities that use Russian River water is bidding on the license.  My original post stated that some of Lake Pillsbury water is diverted 10 miles downstream through a siphon pen-stock to a small power plant and discharged into the Russian River.

46 minutes ago, J.D. Daily said:

The options for increasing storage in the Russian River water shed are very limited & very expensive.  A major north south highway follows the river for many miles & would flood the city of Ukiah & the orchards & vineyards.  Rerouting hwy 101 would be a monumental task because there are mountains directly west & east.  The legal cost in time & money would be expensive & span decades.  It would be cheaper to use eminent domain to purchase the non ag property in the Russian River's flood plain.  Other than flooding the roadways every 20 years & dealing with a few mudslides blocking roads. the existing condition of the Russian River watershed is acceptable.  As for adding storage & flood control the existing dams could be raised which will affect some owners of private property.

P.S. I am one who would be affected if Scott Dam was raised.  Scott Dam creates Lake Pillsbury.  This was studied in the 80's but dropped when tree huggers became dominant in CA & DC.  The wild rivers people want to remove it which is up to the feds since, PG&E has declined to not renew their hydro license.  An organization including municipalities that use Russian River water is bidding on the license.  My original post stated that some of Lake Pillsbury water is diverted 10 miles downstream through a siphon pen-stock to a small power plant and discharged into the Russian River.

Yes!  In many cases it’s too late to do what needed to be done, both economically and infrastructure wise.  

These things SHOULD have been done decades ago.  In the Southeast, we did these things starting back in the 1930s and new projects continue, even today.

We’ve had similar weather disasters, but with few exceptions, the damage has been far more limited, even when the system was mismanaged.  It makes recovery and reconstruction easier, faster, and much less costly.  We still have our droughts and floods, but they are way less devastating.

AND! While it isn’t perfect, we steadily improve and continue to learn how to use what we have!

On 1/12/2023 at 2:37 PM, Blackwater 53393 said:

Yes!  In many cases it’s too late to do what needed to be done, both economically and infrastructure wise.  

These things SHOULD have been done decades ago.  In the Southeast, we did these things starting back in the 1930s and new projects continue, even today.

We’ve had similar weather disasters, but with few exceptions, the damage has been far more limited, even when the system was mismanaged.  It makes recovery and reconstruction easier, faster, and much less costly.  We still have our droughts and floods, but they are way less devastating.

AND! While it isn’t perfect, we steadily improve and continue to learn how to use what we have!

CA & Corp of Engineers went from large water infrastructure projects in the 30's through 70's to stopping them when Jerry Moonbeam Brown became the governor.  One part of his platform was "If you expand the freeway system people will come".  During Moonbeam's 1st 8 years businesses expanded & developers continued build residents.  These residential developments were outside the existing urban areas.  Therefore, the freeway traffic got much much worse.  Thus proving the Field of Dreams theory of transportation planning is Bovine Scat.

Moonbeam sold off all the state owned beltways around Sacramento, and replaced them with house.
Traffic is snarled here with all the growth.

"Oh honey... you're home early... it's only May"

Active Weather Alerts

FLOOD WARNING
ISSUED: 4:30 PM JAN. 14, 2023 – NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE
...FLOOD WARNING NOW IN EFFECT UNTIL 11 PM PST THIS EVENING...

* WHAT...Urban area and small stream flooding caused by excessive
rainfall continues.

* WHERE...A portion of northern California, including the following
counties, Marin, Napa and Sonoma.

* WHEN...Until 1100 PM PST Saturday.

* IMPACTS...Flooding of rivers, creeks, streams, and other low-lying
and flood-prone locations is imminent or occurring. Streams
continue to rise due to excess runoff from earlier rainfall.
Low-water crossings are inundated with water and may not be
passable. It will take several hours for all the water from these
storms to work through local drainage systems in urban areas.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...
- At 428 PM PST, Doppler radar and automated rain gauges
indicated rain will continue to impact the region. Flooding
is already occurring in the warned area.
- Some locations that will experience flooding include...
Santa Rosa, Petaluma, Novato, Rohnert Park, Windsor,
Healdsburg, Sonoma, Cloverdale, Sebastopol, Cotati,
Larkfield-Wikiup, Roseland, South Santa Rosa Cdp, Boyes Hot
Springs, Black Point-Green Point, Forestville, Guerneville,
Graton, Occidental and Monte Rio.
- http://www.weather.gov/safety/flood

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Turn around, don't drown when encountering flooded roads. Most flood
deaths occur in vehicles.

Be especially cautious at night when it is harder to recognize the
dangers of flooding.

In hilly terrain there are hundreds of low water crossings which are
potentially dangerous in heavy rain. Do not attempt to cross flooded
roads. Find an alternate route.

Please report observed flooding to local emergency services or law
enforcement and request they pass this information to the National
Weather Service when you can do so safely.

&&

9 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

hmmmmmmmmm, ..... seems to me that your climate is trying to kill you .....

........... sounds real familiar .....   :o

Trying to wash away all the s%#$ in sacramento( state capitol)

I remember the mud floods in San Anselmo and Kentfield, where they were water skiing on the college football field.
The Army Corps of Engineers finally rectified that section of Marin County that was causing all the flood backup.
I was in my teens at the time, but I remember it rained over a month continuously.

Same as in San Diego, the smart locals don't go into the water after a big storm, due to all the effluent that washes down into the ocean for 72 hours.
Here in Sacramento, the effluent washes down to San Francisco, where it mixes with the effluent on the sidewalks and streets.

What we are seeing here now, is the return of a normal winter.

1 hour ago, bgavin said:

I remember the mud floods in San Anselmo and Kentfield, where they were water skiing on the college football field.
The Army Corps of Engineers finally rectified that section of Marin County that was causing all the flood backup.
I was in my teens at the time, but I remember it rained over a month continuously.

Same as in San Diego, the smart locals don't go into the water after a big storm, due to all the effluent that washes down into the ocean for 72 hours.
Here in Sacramento, the effluent washes down to San Francisco, where it mixes with the effluent on the sidewalks and streets.

What we are seeing here now, is the return of a normal winter.

And the annual House Races.

Archived