SASS Wire Forum

Some positives on blood thinner

Trigger Mike

To prep me for the heart cath I was put on blood thinner meds.  One of the potential side effects was lower blood sugar which got me to thinking.  

I had been told that diabetics sometimes have shrinking arteries due to high sugar.  

I began to notice that my sugar wasn’t having spikes above 230 anymore while on the blood thinner.   I got to thinking that perhaps lack of proper blood flow due to diabetes may have caused the abnormal nuclear test results.  It could also explain why even though I weigh less than I did when I got diabetes that I haven’t reversed it.  

I decided to try an experiment today and do some push-ups.  Not only was I able to do more than I usually can, they were much easier.  I also noticed my arms got super hot from the blood flow I suppose.   I’m going to try other things as well.  

yesterday I forgot to take my diabetes pill for a couple of hours and ate chik fil a that usually sends me to 250 only I never got past 220 and didn’t stay there. By the time I remembered to take it I was already at 149 without it.  I figured the blood thinner was keeping it down.

I took a blood thinner prior to a procedure as well.  But instead of positives, I cut my finger really deep -in front of my wife. I've bled before and had inside parts outside... but that one worried me a bit. Even after pressure and a bandage I was draining all over the place.  But my fire pit turned out marvelous!

I did notice when I did the finger prick glucose test that blood came out much better and I got a better sample than usual.   

I live my wife’s banana nut bread but it usually sends me close to 300 in my sugar but she made me some last night and I’ve ate a thick slice plus a half piece and my sugar didn’t go up much at all, matter of fact I’m at 144 now and usually I’m still above 180 in the afternoon after lunch.  I even have less numbness in my feet.  I feel better than I have in a long while.  I even haven’t had a nap yet like usual.  

downside is the old saying,”calm before the storm”. Or ,”all glory is fleeting”

3 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

I took a blood thinner prior to a procedure as well.  But instead of positives, I cut my finger really deep -in front of my wife. I've bled before and had inside parts outside... but that one worried me a bit. Even after pressure and a bandage I was draining all over the place.  But my fire pit turned out marvelous!

Yeah, worst part of being on blood thinners is that you’re a semi-hemophiliac!! It ain’t fun!

And I’m on the damn things the rest of my life!(stent)

My dad had a stroke.  Both of his parents had strokes.  I don’t want one.  Bruising/bleeding?  OK.  I will live with them.  Emphasis on “live.”

I was on blood thinners prior to shoulder surgery back in 2012. I was on blood thinners for 6 weeks after the surgery then I screwed up the first surgery by snatching a falling bag of canned goods :wacko: and had to have repeat surgery. A couple of weeks after the second surgery I nicked my big toe on the corner of our kitchen island. I didn’t think much of it and continued cutting veggies to make a salad. My wife came into the kitchen and flipped out. The floor looked like I had dropped a full bottle of red wine on the floor. I was bleeding like crazy. They got the bleeding stopped at the emergency room. 
The surgeon got a call from the ER doctor telling him that I was now off blood thinners and he questioned why I was on them in the first place and why so long.

Long story short the surgeon screwed up. He shouldn’t have had me on them so long. 

The thing about blood thinners is they not only thin your blood but they also make your skin thinner and more prone to injury. Be careful. 

@Trigger Mike Make sure your cardiologist knows what Diabetes meds you are on. Then make sure the doc that is treating your diabetes knows you are on blood thinners. 

Blood thinners and diabetes meds can be a dangerous combination. Your blood sugar can drop to dangerous levels.

Today was fun.  They asked us to come earlier than planned so we got the kids off to school earlier and my son drive them.  They got me prepped and in the procedure room and sedated and opened my artery in my leg.  There was a storm last night and evidently it shorted the machine for the camera so they sewed up my artery had me stay still for 4 hours and rescheduled me for another day 

Howdy,

The Lord works in mysterious ways.

Dont worry.

If all goes well you are good so worry will not help.

If all fails and you are dead worry will not help.

So dont worry.

Best

CR

I take Plavix forever now, along with a 325 aspirin, and carvedilol and lipitor.
I get a blood blister from as little as excitedly throwing the bird at the latest news article.
I bruise constantly now.

My glucose is easy to control:  eat NO carbs whatsoever.
Works great.

meme.sightgags.food.ice.no.carb.gluten.free.inc.details.sfw.jpg

Archived