SASS Wire Forum

Trail Boss

Sleepy Floyd

19 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Look for Unique or WW231

I am actually using HP38, which is the same thing as Win231, for most of my pistol loads right now.

But where Trail Boss really shines, IMO, is in low recoil rifle cartridges.   Things like .30-30, .30-40, .30-'06, .45-70 and many others.  It will not be "high performance" hunting type rounds, but for reduced power loadings, it's great.

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Look for Unique or WW231

Hush Lumpy! Let me stock up on Unique before we tell everyone to get some!:D

45 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

Hush Lumpy! Let me stock up on Unique before we tell everyone to get some!:D

WW231 is widely available. Unique hasn't been available for 2 or 3 years now or if it has been available, it was old stock. I don't use Unique as I consider it to be the dirtiest powder out there, but I look for it because some of my friends use it and I would get it for them.

Hate to say it folks, but ya'll need to try something else because Trail Boss and Unique are not available and seems like it's going to be a good while (if ever w/T.B.) before you'll see them again.

2 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

WW231 is widely available. Unique hasn't been available for 2 or 3 years now or if it has been available, it was old stock. I don't use Unique as I consider it to be the dirtiest powder out there, but I look for it because some of my friends use it and I would get it for them.

Hate to say it folks, but ya'll need to try something else because Trail Boss and Unique are not available and seems like it's going to be a good while (if ever w/T.B.) before you'll see them again.

I've been using W244. I like it in .38, .45ACP and 12 gauge so far. I got a decent deal on 8 pounds.

I know lots of guys like Trail Boss. Sometimes I think I’m the only cowboy shooter in the world that has never loaded a single round with TB. I even won a jug of it as a shooter prize once, gave it away. 

Just now, Hoss said:

I know lots of guys like Trail Boss. Sometimes I think I’m the only cowboy shooter in the world that has never loaded a single round with TB. I even won a jug of it as a shooter prize once, gave it away. 

I guess that makes me the second cowboy shooter that never loaded a round with TB. I know lots of folks that like TB also... picked up their brass, looked at their guns, timed them shoot...you know, where you watch their guns...TB is another dirty powder. I can see why folks compare it to Unique.

2 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Unique hasn't been available for 2 or 3 years now or if it has been available, it was old stock.

LGS got in several hundred pounds of Unique a few weeks ago. At least 20 8lb containers and several crates of 1lb and 4lb. It was reasonably priced, not cheap, but it wasn't at the astronomical prices I was seeing at gun shows for it!

1 minute ago, Cypress Sun said:

I guess that makes me the second cowboy shooter that never loaded a round with TB. I know lots of folks that like TB also... picked up their brass, looked at their guns, timed them shoot...you know, where you watch their guns...TB is another dirty powder. I can see why folks compare it to Unique.

The only advantage I can see is it’s impossible to overcharge a case with it. But it’s historically been more expensive, not clean burning, slow velocity in large calibers. 
I’d  rather use Unique! 

Where Trail Boss really shined for me was filling big cases like .44 mag and .45 Colt. Not to mention .45-70. I save my Unique for my daughters shotshells.

12 minutes ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

So a question. 
If you found some on a shelf at an out of the way LGS what would be a decent price?

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:
Gateway Kid

They came in 9 oz and 2 lb containers when they were last produced. Based on a recent FS thread and somewhat old conversations, prices were between $30 - $65 for the 9 oz containers and $80 - $150 for the 2 lb containers. 

IMO, the reason that there is TB available for purchase at all, is that folks realize that there is no way that they will ever use the amount of powder that they have personally stored. Most of them didn't buy it for resell profit...they just bought too much at original purchase. 

46 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Same here Hoss. What I had I traded to 4 Aces the other day. I use Cleanshot for my 38 loads for revolvers and rifle and Clays for my shotgun.

TM

48 minutes ago, Texas Maverick said:

Same here Hoss. What I had I traded to 4 Aces the other day. I use Cleanshot for my 38 loads for revolvers and rifle and Clays for my shotgun.

TM

I use a lot of Bullseye  Unique & Red Dot. “Old school” powders that just work! 

I have been shooting for 6 years.  I have always used trail boss and bought large quantities before it become impossible to get.  I have about 1 pound left and will be switching to titegroup once it is gone. Why continue to use the stuff if you have to continously worry about its availability?

6 hours ago, Hoss said:

Well if ya win another give it my way.:lol::lol:

24 minutes ago, Jackaroo, # 29989 said:

Well if ya win another give it my way.:lol::lol:

I’ll deliver in person!  

will my Ruger cylinders rotate counter-clockwise while I’m there? 

I love Trail Boss. I use it in my 32-20, 38 Spcl, 45 Schofield, and 45 Colt. I also use it in my Taylor Sharps 45-70. I was lucky enough way back before the recent reloading component shortage to have purchased two 5# jugs of TB. I finished up my first jug late last summer and just started the second jug. That should hold me for a couple of years. If TB isn't available when I start running out I will look for alternatives like Unique, which I have 2# of.

On 1/12/2023 at 10:34 AM, Hoss said:

I’ll deliver in person!  

will my Ruger cylinders rotate counter-clockwise while I’m there? 

Fantastic.:wub:

They sure will.:D

I never understood why someone would pay full price for a 1/2 bottle of Trail Boss .

You have to use so much more of it then Unique  .

Unique has been and always will be my go to powder .

Unique does nothing the best .

But Unique can do anything good.

It's a do it ALL Powder !

So Saith The Rooster 

Been shooting this game over 30 years and have watched it turn into a rocket science project for many. It is so simple this is about shooting targets as big as Kim Kardashians backside so close you can spit and hit them. Almost ANY powder will work. So load them up and enjoy this fun game.:)

57 minutes ago, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

I never understood why someone would pay full price for a 1/2 bottle of Trail Boss .

You have to use so much more of it then Unique  .

Unique has been and always will be my go to powder .

Unique does nothing the best .

But Unique can do anything good.

It's a do it ALL Powder !

So Saith The Rooster 

If I could only have 1 powder, it would be unique 

Archived