SASS Wire Forum

Ruger v Smith

Dantankerous

Has anyone had a chance to compare in person the 8 shot .357 magnum snubbies made by Ruger (Redhawk) and Smith and Wesson (627 PC)?

If so, any thoughts on the two?

I know there are a couple videos online and I've seen them... wanting more thought from y'all.  And yes, "buy both" ain't an impossibility but it might take awhile to get there. 

I have an S&W 327 Night Guard 8 shot .357 Magnum. It has a 2 1/2” barrel, XS big dot front night sight and a C&S fixed rear site. The grip is an Uncle Mike’s S&W factory grip. It is hands down my favorite revolver out of the dozen I own. 

I would love to get an 8 shot Redhawk, but the last one I saw in person was in early 2018. I have no opinion or experience with them. 

392792DF-9DB5-432A-ACFB-1797598240E6.thumb.jpeg.9542e71e42dedbf7174810843a5de4d7.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

Has anyone had a chance to compare in person the 8 shot .357 magnum snubbies made by Ruger (Redhawk) and Smith and Wesson (627 PC)?

If so, any thoughts on the two?

I know there are a couple videos online and I've seen them... wanting more thought from y'all.  And yes, "buy both" ain't an impossibility but it might take awhile to get there. 

I’ve got a 5” Smith . I like it , it’s cut where you can use 1/2 or full moon clips . Ruger is going to weigh more , will work better as a club. To me most of these choices come down to if you are a Smith or Ruger guy . I have big hands so I enjoy either one more than a GP100 or a L frame and who doesn’t like 8 shots of 357 

4 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

It is hands down my favorite revolver out of the dozen I own. 

Can you elaborate on why, please?

31 minutes ago, DocWard said:

Can you elaborate on why, please?

Sure :)

For an N frame its light - Scandium frame, 27 ounces.
I can put it on my hip and carry it all day and it doesn’t feel heavy. 
The grip feels great in the hand. 
The gun is well balanced. 
It actually shoots 158 grain .357 mag full house loads accurately and recoil isn’t bad at all. It’s also very accurate with .38 Special loads.

It’s definitely not a small CCW gun, but it’s an easy carry 

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/archive-model-327-night-guard

66E66DCC-EA71-4EF4-8CA2-AC91FFF4E601.thumb.jpeg.438d0155615e68e55507f42fac964ae8.jpeg

I will not buy any Smith and Wessons...they made me mad when they shut down production of the Thompson Center Contenders and Encores...and all the extra barrels and parts

33 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Isn’t the cylinder just beastly on that thing?  My  model 28 S&W .357 N frame (6 shot) is 1-3/4” diameter. How big around is an 8-shot?

Same size cylinder they just put 8 holes in it. The first center fire revolver I had was a highway patrolman. I always regretted selling it, then I got a 5” 627 and I don’t miss it as much anymore. Smith also has 7 shot L frames now. I’m guessing better steel and heat treatment probably has something to do with comforting their lawyers 

Kinda Ford vs Chevy in a way.
I always thought the Chevy to be more handsome, but would buy the Ford over the Chevy, for sturdy construction and reliability.
Same for the Smith... which is why I own all Rugers.

Archived