SASS Wire Forum

How many remember, originally it was described as a Mauser Rifle?

At the time, about 6 months earlier, my dad had purchased a Mauser at Aldens Store were there were several barrels full of them. Your choice, 12.50 each. Dad bought one with the intention cutting stock, etc.  for hunting.

I remember the day it happened and the found weapon was shown and verbalized it was a Mauser and seeing it on TV I told my dad that evening we had a similar rifle. It was something I always wondered about, one doesn't hear or read much about. But how did a Mauser, turn into a Carcano?

If you get a chance, just watch the 1st 18 minutes and what happened later to the original Mauser that was found earlier? I wasn't interested in guilty or not, rather the Mauser and Carcano found and one disappears later never mentioned again. I thought I was the only one that remembered that?

The Carcano M91 has been described as a Mauser variant for some time.  It also has Mannlicher characteristics. Ultimately, it's neither, being it's own critter.

He said that Jackie was more popular than Jack.

This has been some time back, so I don't recall whether I read this or whether I actually saw a video of the commercial. And I don't remember whether he was running for re-election to senator or whether he was running for president. But he introduced himself.

"I'm John Kennedy. Some of you may know me better as Jackie Bouvier's husband." :D

A similar story that I heard was that when he went to Paris on a state trip and met DeGaulle, who didn't like Americans, Jackie charmed the heck out of DeGaulle, including chatting in French with him over top of Jack during the state dinner. When the press asked how the visit to France went,  Jack responded: "I am the man who accompanied Jacquelin Kennedy to Paris, and I enjoyed it."

I think they even show this in the Netflix series, "The Crown".

Saloon Ricochet…

Back to the rifle. I did not watch this whole video, but the video at 22 minutes shows a Carcano but the rifle shown in a photo earlier in the video definitely is not a Carcano. 

I still think got his was all a massive cover up and Kennedy was killed because of one thing. He wanted to audit the Federal Reserve. The tactic used to thwart this was assassination. “They” wouldn’t get away with this again…or maybe they would. 
Now they use the media and Useful Idiots. 
In 2013 Rand Paul, introduced a bill to audit the Fed. Around that same time the media went gangbusters looking for any little thing to discredit him. He ran for President in 2016, remember that?

Trump espoused auditing the Federal Reserve. 

Look back through history. Every president who championed auditing or doing away with a central bank had problems. McKinley was assassinated. As soon as Teddy Roosevelt took office he halted all efforts that were being made under McKinley to audit the bank. 

Considering how many Mausers were made and on the surplus market all the way into the '90's (the gun shop I worked in from 95 to 99 had them from 8 or 10 different countries, so I can only imagine what it was like in the mail order business of the '60's), figuring he used one isn't a bad guess.

Besides,  when had the media ever bothered to get it right when it came to guns?

2 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Considering how many Mausers were made and on the surplus market all the way into the '90's (the gun shop I worked in from 95 to 99 had them from 8 or 10 different countries, so I can only imagine what it was like in the mail order business of the '60's), figuring he used one isn't a bad guess.

Besides,  when had the media ever bothered to get it right when it came to guns?

Its not the Media that got it wrong on that day. Originally the rifle shown and picked up at the depository was carried out by a police Detective cleary showing it was a Mauser. Oswald bought a Carcano, not a Mauser. Later a Carcano was found and traced to Oswald and the Mauser shown recovered, disappeared and never named or ever shown again. Oswald never bought a Mauser, and the Warren Commission concluded it was a Carcano and the bullets recovered, even the pristine one, came from a Carcano Rifle.

Many claims were made by people there that day that shots came from someplace else rather then Depository.  The sealed papers still haven't been released on this event.

I remember Woolworth’s had barrels of those for sale in the sports dept.

i think we have to remember the press was not a lot smarter about guns back then , i do think they tried to fact check before publishing back then , but it was also a sensational event [im sure all my age remember that thanksgiving era very well] the quality most countries/mfgrs strived for at that time was the mauser quality , i think it was considered the standard to be compared to 

Archived