SASS Wire Forum

No more gas stoves????

Rye Miles #13621

In 20 years they produce as much carbon dioxide as the annual emissions of 500,000 cars.

In 20 years they produce as much as 500,000 cars do in one year. So we need to get rid of them.

"Wackos" isn't strong enough a term.

Gas stoves are hugely inefficient, 30% ish to actual cooking.  The green movement is very much against gas stoves and have been for a while.  

personally I am not a fan.   Got one in our last house as everyone says how great they are.  Had been raised on electric.  Didn’t like the gas at all and went induction on our new house.  Best of both worlds.  Super fast heat, low simmer, instant up/down heat.  Only downside is it’s glass top, so needs extra care not to scratch the top.  From a performance perspective, I won’t be getting another gas stove or one of those horrible flat top electric.  Those are the worst, slow to heat up, don’t cool quickly, nothing good.  

Ahh the ones that live in a cement crap hole telling me what I need to do so that non essentials may exist , which quite frankly I could care less if they see tomorrow .   
They clowns want us to accept them and their views but cant accept themselves for the sex they were born as. The sooner they become organic fertilizer for the farm field the better

00C1C04A-90A5-4E3C-9F84-F8D7FD0E1877.jpeg

40 minutes ago, Still hand Bill said:

Gas stoves are hugely inefficient, 30% ish to actual cooking.  The green movement is very much against gas stoves and have been for a while.  

personally I am not a fan.   Got one in our last house as everyone says how great they are.  Had been raised on electric.  Didn’t like the gas at all and went induction on our new house.  Best of both worlds.  Super fast heat, low simmer, instant up/down heat.  Only downside is it’s glass top, so needs extra care not to scratch the top.  From a performance perspective, I won’t be getting another gas stove or one of those horrible flat top electric.  Those are the worst, slow to heat up, don’t cool quickly, nothing good.  

96% of the top chefs disagree, they prefer gas over electric! I have an electric stove and I’m okay with it but I don’t cook too often and when I do it’s pretty simple dishes! 
Im just against the government telling us what we can do or not do! I’m sick of these environment whackos!!

44 minutes ago, Still hand Bill said:

Well electric is all nice and well... till the electricity goes out for a week like it did here in 2021 storm. We had the gas stove in kitchen to boil water, ran oven baking bread, pies, roasts kept the rooms above freezing, kept large pot of water on stove that really did help with heating kitchen and dining room.

Got gas and a downdraft.  No professional but a lifelong cooking enthusiast.  Electric is usable but poor.  Induction has its place and I have a free standing burner for those few applications.  Point is, they can't supply electricity for the electric cars they want to mandate and now they want to add electric stoves to the burden on the grid.  Experts have stated that it will take 200 years and countless billions to get the grid up to what is needed just for cars.  Nearly everyone I knew as a child grew up in homes with gas stoves, as did my sister and I, as did my children.  Not a lot of asthma around. Scroom!

They better come armed if they think they are taking my gas range. Had electric once and it sucks. There is a reason restaurants use gas! They can't generate enough electricity now, let alone powering ranges and cars. And I like being able to cook and heat in a power failure as stated above. This woke BS is really getting out of hand.:angry:

Back when Michael came to visit (October of 17, category 5) we had no electricity for a month. I was cooking on a Coleman stove and taking cold showers. My next door neighbor was cooking on their kitchen range and taking hot showers. Why?

They had gas.

I'm up here in cold Canada.

OK, I'll give up my Natural Gas cook top, water heater, fireplace and furnace.

But since our electrical grid is so fragile, we can't produce enough hydro electric, wind or solar power and folks freak at the thought of a nuke plant, (See Darlington) and we have a LARGE Boreal Forest, I'll switch back to wood and coal.

See?

No problem.

I have an electric cook top now and HATE it.  I can't wait for us to do a kitchen re-model and have a gas line run in for a stove.  I too hate to have folks with an agenda telling me what I can and can't do.

If the ATF getting slapped down over their bump-stock ban holds up, we will see ALL of these bureaucratic "regulations" challenged and overturned. One gallon flush toilets, LED light bulbs, auto-stop for idling on cars, etc.

22 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

If the ATF getting slapped down over their bump-stock ban holds up, we will see ALL of these bureaucratic "regulations" challenged and overturned. One gallon flush toilets, LED light bulbs, auto-stop for idling on cars, etc.

When they forced us to go to fluorescent bulbs a decade ago, I said wait til they start bitching about mercury! Now here we are, being banned due to mercury in the landfills. Follow the science. :wacko:

34 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

You are so right! I hate my 1 gallon toilet and the LED bulbs! What a pain in the butt!

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

96% of the top chefs disagree, they prefer gas over electric! I have an electric stove and I’m okay with it but I don’t cook too often and when I do it’s pretty simple dishes! 
Im just against the government telling us what we can do or not do! I’m sick of these environment whackos!!

I agree that people should be able to choose.  I tried gas and hated it.  Maybe it was just the stove I bought, but it didn’t have good range between full heat and simmer.  Full heat was too low and simmer was too high.  Also didn’t like that the handles of my pans got really hot due to all the waste heat.  Hated the flat top electric even more.   Have a induction now and quite happy.  Can simmer super low, boils water really fast.  I have an lp genset so I have electricity when the power goes out.  If I need heat I have two fireplaces.  One gas and one wood.  

We have a stove that we found that uses one battery to ignite. It doesn't have a computer board to burn up like our previous, more modern stove had. I replace the battery once a year.  The previous new stove stopped working twice in a year and a half. We also have a good woodstove for heating. If the electricity goes out we can still cook and heat. 

Also i have cast iron dutch ovens that I can cook with using firewood. We have the tripod setup with a chain to hang the oven over the fire.

59 minutes ago, Still hand Bill said:

I agree that people should be able to choose.  I tried gas and hated it.  Maybe it was just the stove I bought, but it didn’t have good range between full heat and simmer.  Full heat was too low and simmer was too high.  Also didn’t like that the handles of my pans got really hot due to all the waste heat.  Hated the flat top electric even more.   Have an induction now and quite happy.  Can simmer super low, boils water really fast.  I have an lp genset so I have electricity when the power goes out.  If I need heat I have two fireplaces.  One gas and one wood.  

Sounds like you had a bad stove! That can happen to gas or electric. 

4 hours ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

And here I am wanting to replace my electric stove with a gas one.

Did that a few years ago.  Best decision ever.

2 hours ago, Still hand Bill said:

I agree that people should be able to choose.  I tried gas and hated it.  Maybe it was just the stove I bought, but it didn’t have good range between full heat and simmer.  Full heat was too low and simmer was too high.  Also didn’t like that the handles of my pans got really hot due to all the waste heat.  Hated the flat top electric even more.   Have a induction now and quite happy.  Can simmer super low, boils water really fast.  I have an lp genset so I have electricity when the power goes out.  If I need heat I have two fireplaces.  One gas and one wood.  

I have one of those induction and cannot stand that pos

Electric stoves are only a little better than wood or coal stoves. Slow to heat, slow to cool, need to have a cold burner on a trivet to move a pan to while waiting for it to cool.  I'd almost rather do open hearth cooking than cook on electric.

Induction isn't bad.  Except for having to tiptoe on the glass top.  

Gas gives you instant heat control, stoves are robust and you can use any type of pan or pot on them.  Vigorously shake pans on them.  Roast peppers, tomatoes, and tortillas on the bare burner rings.

9 minutes ago, The Shoer 27979 said:

What the induction is great for is when you want a long simmer, not much heat in the house, and virtually no chance of burning the food when I inevitably get distracted.  Bout all I use it for.

6 hours ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

another case of . "I am from the government , and I am here to help " 

since they don't like gas , reckon , I will fire up the wood stove :P

CB 

Sounds like a viable solution to me.

It seems the US can’t duplicate the results that the EU and Australia have come up with regarding gas stoves and asthma. 

https://www.healthline.com/health/asthma/gas-appliances-asthma

But then you have a bureaucrat with and agenda to rise in his empire the truth cannot get in his way. 

Link from Rye’s post:

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2023/01/gas-stove-ban-heres-why-the-federal-government-could-take-the-cooktops-away-this-winter.html

The name of the bureaucrat in that article that’s always looking out for the children in his climb to power is Richard Trumka Jr.

https://www.cpsc.gov/About-CPSC/Commissioner/Richard-Trumka

1 hour ago, Rip Snorter said:

What the induction is great for is when you want a long simmer, not much heat in the house, and virtually no chance of burning the food when I inevitably get distracted.  Bout all I use it for.

I use a crackpot for that kind of cooking and we also use air fryers, I do like the oven

2 minutes ago, The Shoer 27979 said:

I use a crackpot for that kind of cooking and we also use air fryers, I do like the oven

No air fryer, but yes crock pots, also pressure cookers.  Mostly crockpot for overnight cooking.  Induction for reducing liquid slower than stove top with little attention needed.  Now retired with no Kids and their schedules around, no time constraints.  If I feel like it I can fool with a dish all day.  Matter of mood.

3 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:
1 hour ago, The Shoer 27979 said:

when we were looking at stoves, the American brands were pretty poor controls.  Sliders for heat.  No one really wanted to sell one.  It was either gas or the crappy flat top electric.  Between those to choices I would go gas.  

Went with a fisher paykel and have been happy.  Has nice knobs for control.  Has 12 power steps, from a super low to boil water right now.  Learned my lesson, don’t use full power to boil rice.  Burns it right up.  

I think this gal must've spent too much time with her head in the oven.  Guess who?  :rolleyes:

Gas Stoves Cause Brain Damage

New York’s 15th district village idiot is on the loose again!!

They say a gas stove causes asthma. My wife had asthma for years and we never had a gas stove. Then the cat died and her asthma cleared up. :rolleyes:

Archived