SASS Wire Forum

Vaquero Barrel Lengths

Shepherd Book

Has anyone really noted significant differences between shooting the 4.62 and 5.5 inch Vaqueros?  On paper, longer barrel may mean longer draw time but longer sight radius for potentially greater accuracy.  Trying to figure out best fit for old eyes...Thanks!  SB

On the 8th day, God and Sam Colt said, " Let all barrels be 7 1/2 inches or longer".

Who am I to argue with that?

I shoot 357 Rugers OMV with 5.5 inch barrels. I prefer the longer length. They are slightly heavier and I can stay on target. Although part of this equation are the load characteristics of your ammo. I use 105 grain bullets with 2.9 of Tite group which has minimized my muzzle rise. Also style of shooting matters as well. Eg, duelist vs gunfighter vs traditional. 

I went from the SASS Vaqueros with the 4.42 barrels to 5 inch octagonal barrels put on by Snake Oil George.  Love them and part of the love is the big, very nice, front sight.  I  have very poor eyes.  As far as significance difference in length of barrels for sighting I do not believe barrel difference would be significant.  I think type of front sight would matter more as far as eyes are concerned.

In this game, you could probably remove the barrel and still have no problem hitting the average size pistol target at typical CAS distances.

Aesthetically, I prefer the look of the 4 5/8" and 7 1/2" barrels over the 5 1/2"er. Of those three barrel lengths, I shoot the 4 5/8"ers far more often than the other two.

My database shows twenty seven 4 5/8"ers, twenty 5 1/2"ers, and fifteen 7 1/2"ers, with others ranging from 3 3/4" to 18".

I am in the old geezer range at 73 next month and I shoot the 4 5/8 NMV and have since I started this game in 2018. I love mine. They are easy to draw and sight and don't feel the 1" would really make that much difference in the type of shooting we do. But the main choice is yours and personal preference makes a big difference because you need to be happy with that choice.

TM

at the distances we shoot not likely , i did start with the shorter but had one of the longer that just felt better when shooting , so i bought a matched pair of the longer ---- keep the shorter as a backup if i need it , 

I shoot gunfighter with 5.5” barrels, tried my girlfriends guns with 4.62 barrels and found with the short barrels I seemed to overcompensate, wouldn’t think that little length would make a difference but for me lt does

Archived