SASS Wire Forum

45-70 or 450 Bushmaster?

Widder, SASS #59054

I like some big bore guns..... I enjoy shooting them as long as the punishment don't rip my shoulder apart.

Anyhow,  I own a nice Marlin Cowboy 45-70.      BUT, I'm thinking of getting a 450 Bushmaster to replace it.

Any thought you might have and/or experience to share will be appreciated.

I'm aware of the caliber differences and bullet varieties for each caliber.

Thanks

..........Widder

I have both.  The .450 Bushmaster is on an AR platform.  I use it to hunt whitetails in southern Michigan, where this cartridge is allowed.  The AR platform makes recoil minimal.  It is my understanding that it is also an excellent black bear round.   I have a Marlin in 45-70.  I used it to take a black bear last year in Canada (where ARs are not welcome).  Recoil is more than the.450 in an AR.  I can't speak to the .450 in a bolt action.  

45-70 is my vote as I have zero interest in AR types, plus CA restrictions on scary looking guns.

widder, what does your doc say about heavy recoil after heart surgery?  I’m told handguns ok but no shot or heavy rifles for six months.  My new doc is MASH doc and Expert Marksman in M9 and M26… my kind of doc, for sure

45-70

Keep the .45-70 a more capable cartridge. I have a 22 inch gun I used for back-up Guiding it gets 2,200 Fps with a 400 gr. Speer Hot Core FP bullet...

That should be enough recoil to get your attention...

Or load a good 420 gr. Cast RNFP to 1,500 Fps. for fun use and Deer ...

Jabez Cowboy 

BGAVIN:   its been 2.5 years since surgery and yes, I am still cautious about shooting heavy shoulder stuff.   But, the SG

hasn't bothered me so I figured I would graduate upwards  a little.

JABEZ:  When I was younger and owned a couple Marlin 45-70's, I hand loaded a few of those "Godzilla" loads, which 

would reap havoc on the target and the shooters shoulder.   I may not try those heafty loads again, atleast not for ME

to shoot from the shoulder.   Hip maybe, but not shoulder..... :lol:

Thanks everyone for your input.

..........Widder

To me it depends on which action you want!  45/70 for single shots and levers.  For AR's I chose a 458 Socom.        GW

My thoughts are 45-70 downloaded with 5744 for many fun shots instead of one or two tortuous ones.

I’m holding out for the Ruger with as large a magazine as they plan to make.  I don’t mind the longer barrel to gain more magazine capacity.  Pipe dream, for now.

Easy to down load the 45-70.  If you trade that 95 Marlin in on an 1886 Winchester you'll be ahead on felt recoil.  Marlins are great guns but the 1895 is a very light gun. The 86 Winchester weighs a few pounds more so felt recoil will be less.

AR platforms by their very nature don't weigh much so that 450 bushmaster is going to pound on your shoulder pretty good.

.450 Bushmaster in a Ruger Predator bolt  rifle is a stout thump.  Not as much as a 45-70 but still enough to wake you up.  I like both.  

STL Suomi

Archived