SASS Wire Forum

Do you like to buy movies?

Chili Ron

Howdy,

I saw a recent movie and wanted the disk.

I waited a few weeks and bought one on ebay,

I didnt think to check REDBOX. They offer the same disk

at about a third of the new price. 

That is a nice piece of change saved.

I dont know what REDBOX does if a disk fails.

But if you dont mind used check em out.

Best

CR

still looking for white men cant jump....

I no longer buy used discs if I can get a new one. Had too many with issues. 

Hopefully, within the year my wife and I can finally settle down in a new home and FINALLY unpack and sort some of out stuff so I can figure out what movies I have versus what movies I want. 
I recently discovered that I have 3 copies of a couple of movies I like and a couple of others I have duplicates. There are still 2 big boxes of discs that I refuse to open until we have a house of our own. We rent right now. 

I'll buy movies I'm pretty sure I am going to watch multiple times and I almost always buy new from either Amazon or Walmart.

As to Redbox, I'm guessing they sell the DVD's when it's been a certain amount of time since it was released on DVD and there is no longer a  significant volume of rentals for the movie.

I'll only buy movies that I REALLY like and then I won't buy them unless they are $5.00 or less. I stopped looking for them in the "bargain bin" at Wally World because they are always in a mess. When I go to garage sales or thrift stores, I usually look at the ones that they have because they are $1.00 each or 2 for $1.00. Used DVD's get the once over to make sure they aren't all scratched up or damaged.

Like Pat, I've discovered that I have duplicate copies of DVD's. I know for sure that I have at least two copies of Open Range, Reservoir Dogs, Tombstone and The Wild Bunch. Oh, well.

We have maybe 300 DVDs.  Collected them mostly from Walmart $5 and Blockbuster for sale rack.  But we've nearly stopped buying since so many free ones on YouTube an Tubi.  Still there are a few you just can't find. High Road to China,  a Tom Selleck action adventure movie for example.  Found a DVD copy on ebay.  And a few others not in circulation.  

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I no longer buy used discs if I can get a new one. Had too many with issues. 

Hopefully, within the year my wife and I can finally settle down in a new home and FINALLY unpack and sort some of out stuff so I can figure out what movies I have versus what movies I want. 
I recently discovered that I have 3 copies of a couple of movies I like and a couple of others I have duplicates. There are still 2 big boxes of discs that I refuse to open until we have a house of our own. We rent right now. 

You mean like cracks and scratches, peanut butter, finger prints, warpage, snot, and hair spray to name a few? 

Howdy,

I had a fella at the optical store tell me to fill an empty Dawn bottle with water.

What is left after you drain every drop makes perfect cleaner for eyeglasses.

And it isnt so strong that it hurts any coatings.

I put the mix in a little spray bottle and have cleaned glasses for years.

A microfiber cloth wipes em  clean.

One day a disk was skipping and I could see fingerprints.

Sprayed it and wiped it clean and it played right.

I have rented redbox from time to time. Not their biggest fan but I

noticed the  BUY  option just the last time I rented.

I have what I call moviecrates. 8 inch by 5.5 inch wood block on each end

and one inch wood slats two on top and three on the bottom and four on the back.

The slats are 15.5 long.  This makes an open front box.

They will hold most dvd or vhs movies. about 18 dvds depending on size.

I have four of these on a shelf.  And I can move a section to get to the back

section real easy.

That puts around 75 movies on a shelf.

So four shelves can hold about 300 movies depending on the size of each.

Note that properly spaced one could interlock the sections vertically.

That is if the top two and bottom three are spaced to match.

I was going to do that but never did.

And if you like  a shorter version can hold compact disks.

Stain or paint or leave plain your option.

I seem to remember stain winchester red or some such....

Best

CR

I did all that off the top so please find any mistakes and 

bitch and moan about it as you so often do.

1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

You mean like cracks and scratches, peanut butter, finger prints, warpage, snot, and hair spray to name a few? 

Yes, also CDs and DVDs deteriorate in UV light. If someone pulls discs from their dark cases and puts them in opaque clear cases for rental, over time the disc deteriorates and will not work properly. 

Howdy,

I sure believe that.

Look at the new fancy plastic reel ezpensive  headlight covers.

And dont get any bird drop on em either.

Best

CR

Blu-ray. com for bargain prices through Amazon, etc.  Good Will is another source.

I rip my media to my big movie server.  We just got a new 65” to replace our old one, and prepping for 5.2.4 Atmos surround sound as built- ins for this house… as we can’t consider leaving anymore.

I cannot find “Fatty Finn” anywhere that will play in americas region.  Great movie though.

We only have antenna tv. I buy movies that I know I can enjoy periodically. Most are action type modern movies or westerns. I also have some sets with older movies. Bogart, Cagney, Errol Flynn, Randolph Scott. I have bought a handful through Redbox with good results.

On 1/9/2023 at 9:30 AM, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

And like the disc being flat out missing.  I always check anything that has been unwrapped because I have seen too many times, for whatever reason, there is no disk in the box.

Archived