SASS Wire Forum

New Member Here! Best person to slick up in Southern California

Hillbilly Cat

Hi Everyone!

First post... I just joined SASS along with my 13 year old son. He is all set with 22 cal Rough Riders and a Henry for the next year or two before he has to upgrade. We even got a very nice gun cart that someone was selling from their inheritance. I have the double barrel L.C Smith that has a 30" barrel. This is a 1948 shotgun but not a collectors item; should I cut down to 20"? 

Also, just bought myself a Rossi .357 R92 and have a private party deal on Original Vaqueros in .357 and some holsters that should be completed soon locally (another inheritance). If I wanted to get these guns worked on, is there anyone in California to go to? I've seen some names while lurking on the board, but looking for local recommendations.

I'm also looking for some proper black boots in size 12D.  

I hope to see you all soon at the events! 

I'm across the country, but let me welcome you to the best place on the web to be. Great bunch here [just watch for some feller from Tennessee that smells like nanner splits and has chicken feet]. :D

Welcome to the most fun you can have with your clothes on!

For planning purposes be aware that Buckaroos can shoot .22, but that stops when they hit 14. At that point they’re covered by the same caliber and power factor requirements as everyone else. Given the current ammo situation local clubs may give you some leeway.

When considering cutting the shotgun down you’re balancing the ease of moving it around obstacles and how ‘quick’ it is against the need for some weight out at the end to help it fall open.  We have four, three are cut to 20 inches and one to 18.5. I prefer the 20, but that’s not a magic number.

I can’t help you with local smiths but I’m sure others will jump in with suggestion’s shortly. 

Get comfortable boots, you’ll be on your feet carrying a fair amount of weight!

You didn’t mention a rifle for you. I suggest going to a match and trying a few before you buy. There are quite a few options.

Before getting work done on your guns, take them out to the range and fire at least a fifty to one hundred rounds out of each to see how they work and how you handle them.  Also check for accuracy at 10 yards with the revolvers and at least 15 yards with the rifle; do this at rest and then off hand, as that's how you will shoot them in a match.

Oh, and give them a good cleaning and lubrication before taking them to the range; don't count on the previous owners to have known how to clean/lubricate them.

Welcome to the game:  There's a list of gunsmiths on the wire.  Type in the word gunsmiths in the search bar and it will come up.

From the gunsmiths post:

California - Shotgun Boogie, Uwe Bartch, Shotgun Boogie Gun Works, Glendora, CA (512) 645-4247

3 minutes ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

Welcome to the game:  There's a list of gunsmiths on the wire.  Type in the word gunsmiths in the search bar and it will come up.

From the gunsmiths post:

California - Shotgun Boogie, Uwe Bartch, Shotgun Boogie Gun Works, Glendora, CA (512) 645-4247

Shotgun Boogie is living in Arizona now.

4 minutes ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

From the gunsmiths post:

Shotgun Boogie now lives in The great State of Arizona as well as Jim Bowie Cowboy and Indians store

I shot 3 years with stock Ruger guns. Then the Vaqueros got spring kits only. Never thought I needed a superduper slicked up revolver. 

Shoot these for awhile. Learn the guns. Then upgrade if needed. Don't get in a hurry. You'll find lots more to spend money on in this game. Lol

Welcome!

2 hours ago, Hells Comin said:

So all of California's best Smiths now live in Arizona. Lol 

There's a Long list of famous shooters that have left the Left Coast .

Yaa, they did leave....And not one of them threw me a rope to drag me out...Still stuck here....At least in the southern part of the state....

Texas Lizard

1 hour ago, Dantankerous said:

I shot 3 years with stock Ruger guns. Then the Vaqueros got spring kits only. Never thought I needed a superduper slicked up revolver. 

Shoot these for awhile. Learn the guns. Then upgrade if needed. Don't get in a hurry. You'll find lots more to spend money on in this game. Lol

Welcome!

Thanks for the input everyone! I'm not new to shooting but only ever heard of SASS since October 2022... so brand new to cowboy action shooting. Funny thing is I'm actually from Arizona but moved to California. Anyhow, I'm looking forward to finally getting in an event, probably be ready mid February. 

Welcome, Hillbilly Cat!  Even though you're not new to shooting, I would encourage you to take a New Shooter's Clinic before you try to shoot a match - in fact, some clubs require it, such as the Cajon Cowboys in San Bernardino at the Route 66 Shooting Sports Park.  Cajon shoots the second and fourth Saturdays of the month, and usually offers new shooters' clinics on the second Saturday (for both men and women).  There is a match this coming Saturday, but no clinics, as several of us, including our instructors, will be attending an annual match in Yuma.  But if you can, head up and meet some people and observe.  www.cajoncowboys.com

--Clint   

Archived