SASS Wire Forum

Awesome Prop

Rustler, SASS #33316

Prop built by Muley McCoy for the Arizona Cowboy Shooters Association (ACSA) annual next month before EOT. Press the plunger down and a shotgun primer goes BANG. This is just so awesome I had to share.... 

image.thumb.png.57e6c325183533445e56fdbe29a74c34.pngimage.thumb.png.48d356f26502f7dbd2e2d09eca46af7f.png

I wonder if one could be made to use those 22 blanks used for nail guns?

I once made a bunch of “dynamite sticks” out of dowel rods. Had them in a bucket in back of truck headed to the range. I realized if I got stopped by a cop it was likely going to get interesting! 

that gizmo looks like a neat prop. Could only be 1 starting line.  “FIRE IN THE HOLE”! 

Reverend Chase, Great to hear from you! The mechanism is designed in such a way that only the custom -made blanks will fit in it.

No real shells, even short ones, will not fit in it.  

Muley

23 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

I wonder if one could be made to use those 22 blanks used for nail guns?

143325274_2thumbsup.gif.8da42382748cf225a5917bc93c250b24.gif

23 hours ago, John E. Law said:

I built this year's ago for a stage. Setup was time consuming but It was a blast to use. 

JEL

IMG_0048.MOV 7.18 MB · 24 downloads  

We need more info on the explosive part!

On 1/9/2023 at 11:56 AM, La Sombra said:

More pictures please!

That looks very doable for the non machinist to build,

La Sombra

The main part that fires the primer is available online.  Look up 12 Gauge Trip Wire Alarm, available on Amazon and other vendors.  Plunger box would need to activate the alarm, not very difficult to do.   It is a cool prop, nice job building it.

18 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

We need more info on the explosive part!

I first cut the crimp off of some old 12ga AA hulls. The cheaper thin ones did not work well at all. Then I knocked out the primer and hot glued in the fuse line keeping them temporarily in place with tape. The end came through just enough to ignite the powder.  I got the fuse at a store that sells golf ball cannons. I also made a "TNT" box to store all of the safe shells fuse up. When the glue was set up I dropped in some BP substitute, I don't remember what type and recall it only being a few grains. We did dozens of tests at varying charges. Then I just shoved a wad in to hold it together.  A couple of magnets held the door closed. I drilled a hole through the door for the fuse to go through. The "chamber" was a piece of 3/4" black pipe that I JB welded a cap onto. I then drilled a hole through a piece of pressure treated 4"x4" and hammered the pipe through it. It was way overkill as the pressure was never very high. We used it in three of our annual matches, a monthly match, and then in a stage contest match over several years and it never had a single issue. That door has been blown open at least 500 times.  The club still has it but as far as I know it's never been used again. Making the shells is very time consuming which is why I think they don't use it. 

Hope that helps. It's an absolute blast, pun intended, to use on a stage. 

JEL

6 hours ago, John E. Law said:

I first cut the crimp off of some old 12ga AA hulls. The cheaper thin ones did not work well at all. Then I knocked out the primer and hot glued in the fuse line keeping them temporarily in place with tape. The end came through just enough to ignite the powder.  I got the fuse at a store that sells golf ball cannons. I also made a "TNT" box to store all of the safe shells fuse up. When the glue was set up I dropped in some BP substitute, I don't remember what type and recall it only being a few grains. We did dozens of tests at varying charges. Then I just shoved a wad in to hold it together.  A couple of magnets held the door closed. I drilled a hole through the door for the fuse to go through. The "chamber" was a piece of 3/4" black pipe that I JB welded a cap onto. I then drilled a hole through a piece of pressure treated 4"x4" and hammered the pipe through it. It was way overkill as the pressure was never very high. We used it in three of our annual matches, a monthly match, and then in a stage contest match over several years and it never had a single issue. That door has been blown open at least 500 times.  The club still has it but as far as I know it's never been used again. Making the shells is very time consuming which is why I think they don't use it. 

Hope that helps. It's an absolute blast, pun intended, to use on a stage. 

JEL

I was at the first match that this prop was used. That stage was one of the most funnest stages that I've ever shot...one of the most memorable also. I usually shoot first, that day wasn't any different. John E demonstrated the "robbing the bank" with the safe blowing. If I recall correctly, you lit the fuse (somewhat slow fuse), said your line, timer went off, move to the 1st location and start shooting. Being the first shooter, I stood in front of the safe door and lit the fuse, said my line and waited for the timer...helps to turn the timer on first.

Good times well remembered.

BRING BACK THE SAFE!!!!

1 hour ago, Cypress Sun said:

I was at the first match that this prop was used. That stage was one of the most funnest stages that I've ever shot...one of the most memorable also. I usually shoot first, that day wasn't any different. John E demonstrated the "robbing the bank" with the safe blowing. If I recall correctly, you lit the fuse (somewhat slow fuse), said your line, timer went off, move to the 1st location and start shooting. Being the first shooter, I stood in front of the safe door and lit the fuse, said my line and waited for the timer...helps to turn the timer on first.

Good times well remembered.

BRING BACK THE SAFE!!!!

Yes,  you lit the fuse said your line and got the start beep. You moved to the next room and shot your pistols. In the mean time the safe blew open.  You went back and grabbed the money bags, moved again, and shot the rifle and then the shotgun all while carrying the bags (they were real money bags stuffed with packing peanuts and old 9mm brass to give them that metallic sound). Dropping the money bags was a 10 second penalty.  The cord binding them together was long. Some threw them over a shoulder,  most over a pistol. No one dropped it. 

JEL

1 hour ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

41D72800-3A6C-4065-9457-829702BB22AD.jpeg

I actually called them prior to building it. They said I was good to go. 

JEL

Archived