SASS Wire Forum

WTC gun knocked off Loading table

Irish Pat

25 minutes ago, Clint Steele said:

My comment said "at the loading table the shooter is (or should be) within arms reach of all guns."  Once that shooter makes the decision to leave his loaded guns unattended at the loading table, he should take responsibility for what happens to them while he is gone.  He made the decision to leave them unattended.  We've all done it, but with decisions come consequences.  Would you leave loaded guns anywhere else and simply walk away?  The point of this post is even experienced SASS shooters get careless sometimes with other people's guns.  Ultimately your guns are your responsibility.

So, if I knock your gun off the table, it ain't my fault then because YOU put it on the table.

OMG!:rolleyes:

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Respectfully this is not a rule. This is your opinion. Plenty of people leave their guns on the loading table and go back to their carts.

I do all the timeI

I’m completely confident that no one is going to mess with any of my guns!

No one at my clubs touches other peoples guns at the loading table!

Just a fact!

Gentlemen, I stand by my comment that your loaded guns are ultimately your responsibility.  I trust that the shooters in my club won't mess with them while I leave them at the loading table to go back to my cart.  But this post is about a shooter who knocked another shooter's loaded pistol off the table, so those situations obviously happen.  If you leave a loaded gun unattended you are responsible for it.  If you don't think that's the case then I won't be shooting with you at your match.

7 minutes ago, Clint Steele said:

Gentlemen, I stand by my comment that your loaded guns are ultimately your responsibility.  I trust that the shooters in my club won't mess with them while I leave them at the loading table to go back to my cart.  But this post is about a shooter who knocked another shooter's loaded pistol off the table, so those situations obviously happen.  If you leave a loaded gun unattended you are responsible for it.  If you don't think that's the case then I won't be shooting with you at your match.

Are you seriously defending the MDQ for the shooter whose loaded revolver was knocked off the LT by someone else??

@Clint Steele
Sounds somewhat contradictory to what you'd posted here:

So while I stand by my comment that a shooter needs to be responsible at all times for his own guns, I agree with PW and others that the penalty should be on the shooter at the loading table who knocked it off.

The first club I ever went to had, (and to the best of my knowledge, still has) a rule that, when your guns are loaded, you don’t leave the loading table until called to the firing line. “They’re your guns and you are responsible for them! If you need something from your cart, ask someone to get it for you.”  It works and there’s no controversy.  You stay at the table and you stay with your guns.  They ALWAYS have LTOs and you WILL follow their directions.  It’s never been a problem and the stages run smoothly and efficiently without crowding or lines of waiting shooters.

That range is one of the top facilities in the country and we’ve won recognition and awards for our state match and a reputation for how a match should run.

4 hours ago, Ya Big Tree said:

It's interesting that we know the revolver was knocked off by someone moving a rifle but we don't know who was moving the rifle?  :huh: 

The OP stated that "Nobody owned up to it.".

There is a distinction between fault and responsibility.  The guy who knocked the loaded pistol off the table is at fault and should have gotten the MDQ.  The shooter who owns his loaded guns is responsible for them.  A loaded pistol was dropped at the loading table.  The guy who knocked it off didn't confess.  The owner of the gun is ultimately responsible. I don't agree that he should have gotten the MDQ, but he did, and I'm not saying it's wrong.  He bears the ultimate responsibility. 

I get that 99% of the time that loaded guns left on the loading table are perfectly safe.  But 1% of the time they aren't.  Why isn't it our responsibility to anticipate that 1%, and to make sure our loaded firearms are safe 100% of the time?  I don't understand the reluctance to call out shooters for not making sure their loaded firearms are in their complete control. Control at the loading table.  Different from when firearms are staged at tables ready for course of fire.  A shooter's loaded firearms are that shooters' responsibility.  Tell me why I'm wrong.

I don't agree that he should have gotten the MDQ, but he did, and I'm not saying it's wrong.  He bears the ultimate responsibility. 

That statement makes no sense at all.

Did you miss what was posted on page one?

On 1/8/2023 at 11:12 PM, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

IMO...
The firearms on the LT were NOT "unattended" if
"... the loading table was overcrowded. shooters were sliding guns to make for more."

There could have been any number of reasons that the shooter tabled the loaded revolvers and was not directly watching them.

E.g., returning ammo boxes/loading strips to gun cart, getting shotgun ammo, stepped away to observe the stage engagement, etc.
But one would think that the owner was close enough to the LT to be blamed for the dropped loaded revolver.

Only KNOWN fact mentioned by the OP is that "some one else was sliding a rifle and caused the problem."

Did the shooter protest the MDQ?

I believe this discussion has run its course.

Archived