SASS Wire Forum

Wet Tumbling

Frontier Lone Rider

I use lemi-shin because John boy recommended it, then he started useing something else, can't remember anymore, but I like the results. I also quit using any kind of media, ceramic or steel pins about the same time Yul did but not because Yul did but because it was a pain in the neck to get all the media out.

39 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

So then, am I expecting to much? I deprimed this time because my brass has been reloaded at least 10 or more times and never deprimed. That yellow, I can get used to, it just looks like brass that was cleaned a year ago and stored in an open container compared to a light bright polished shine. I think the depriming exposed me to more lead than my previous method as I my left hand was black afterwards. I always wash up with D Lead.

Well Eyesa, I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The job that Strato Sheen, Dawn dish soap and a little Lemishine does on my brass is plenty clean enough for me. Sure the steel pins or ceramic media and decapping will get it damn near factory perfect, if that’s your thing. To me it’s just not worth the extra effort to mess with the pins or ceramic bits, it may not take that much longer but I’ve got better things to do. I’ve never had a primer fail to seat or get welded into place because I didn’t de cap and then clean the brass with the pins or ceramic media, there’s a first time for everything, I guess and when/if it happens I’ll find that after 10’s of thousands of rounds reloaded, I’ve been doing it all wrong. As far as expecting to much, it’s up to you how bright and shiny you want your brass. Pretty sure that when I go to matches there’s a small group that snicker at me because the innards of my brass are disgustingly dirty and hell some of them may even refuse to posse with me because I abuse my brass and don’t clean it properly but one things for sure, I’ll have a better looking gun cart than any of them.:lol:.

6 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

Well Eyesa, I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The job that Strato Sheen, Dawn dish soap and a little Lemishine does on my brass is plenty clean enough for me. Sure the steel pins or ceramic media and decapping will get it damn near factory perfect, if that’s your thing. To me it’s just not worth the extra effort to mess with the pins or ceramic bits, it may not take that much longer but I’ve got better things to do. I’ve never had a primer fail to seat or get welded into place because I didn’t de cap and then clean the brass with the pins or ceramic media, there’s a first time for everything, I guess and when/if it happens I’ll find that after 10’s of thousands of rounds reloaded, I’ve been doing it all wrong. As far as expecting to much, it’s up to you how bright and shiny you want your brass. Pretty sure that when I go to matches there’s a small group that snicker at me because the innards of my brass are disgustingly dirty and hell some of them may even refuse to posse with me because I abuse my brass and don’t clean it properly but one things for sure, I’ll have a better looking gun cart than any of them.:lol:.

I've never deprimed either! Just figured I'd go for the gusto the first time using the FART. Likely won't again for a bunch more years! :P The yellow really isn't an issue either as any loaded ammo in my plastic boxes turn that color eventually. How much Strato Sheen are you using in a full drum? I used a tablespoon.

4 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Can't wait to have more dirty brass so I can try mine again! Almost hard to believe that only 2 nickel out of over 500 would have made them come out yellow aged looking. But, dang they are clean in and out! Just so used to the bright shiny I got with corn cob and polish. Time will tell, but after the investment, I gotta use the wet! 

I didn't use either Lemi-Shine or Strato-Clean, just dawn dishwashing soap with 60 nickel .32-40 cases and 51 brass .32-40 cases and about 100 C45S cases and all came out the color you'd associate with new brass.  The brass .32-40 were a little duller than looking new, but they're old and well used.  The C45S cases came out looking clean and bright.  Not "new" bright, but plenty shiney for me... oh yeah, used the pins.  Primer pockets have no crud in them.  

2 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

I've never deprimed either! Just figured I'd go for the gusto the first time using the FART. Likely won't again for a bunch more years! :P The yellow really isn't an issue either as any loaded ammo in my plastic boxes turn that color eventually. How Strato Sheen are you using in a full drum? I used a tablespoon.

Tablespoon is just about right. I use a shortened cut off shotgun hull to measure and fill it twice for a big batch, to give you an idea, might be more, might be less than a tablespoon. John Boy is the one that turned me on to Strato Sheen and recommended it along with the pins or ceramic media, but on one batch I omitted the pins and just used Strato Sheen and other than dirty innards it looked just fine on the outside so now you know the rest of the story.

On 1/8/2023 at 10:19 AM, Not Dead Ed said:

Looked at a lot, tried some, and found I like the following.

big glug of Dawn dish detergent

1/4- 1/2 tsp of citric acid (the kind you use for canning) 

SS pins.   

the citric acid is what’s in the Lemi-shine.  

simple mix and inexpensive too.  

Works for me as well!! You can find citric acid in the canning section of your local grocery  but I have a bunch from my wine making days!!

Archived