SASS Wire Forum

Interarms (Rossi?) 1892 44-40

Eyesa Horg

Not sure if this post is allowed but here goes.

A gentleman got my number from SASS and is looking to sell this rifle. It has a 20" barrel and he was told it is a Rossi. I told him I'd post to see if there was any interest and approx. value. I explained if he joined the wire and posted it to expect to provide current requested photos with a newspaper to prove he has it. He's looking  for about $650-- $750. He has had it about 20 years.

It has sling attachments and a hokey compass inset in the butt stock. Says it shoots fine and he has a couple boxes of cartridges to go with it. He doesn't seem to be familiar with firearms as he didn't know what the receiver was when I asked him to measure the barrel. He lives in Montgomery, VT. He sent me a couple of old photos for this post. I've had a couple phone conversations with him and he feel legit. JMO As President of the Vermont CAS club, I offered to help him out.

Eyesa

59078611_thumbnail1.thumb.jpg.d67bc12c49353c02fa469c6ce00459f3.jpg1675612306_thumbnail2.thumb.jpg.62b7191a553c9e5ed90467e2c019e410.jpg

I guess you can blame me for the contact.  He posted asking about it on the Bushcraft USA forum (I'm a member there and he's a member there for a few years under the name "slowbowjoe").  

I told him pards at the local SASS club in VT might be interested (once we figured out what he had!) and gave him a link to your club info. I figured if anybody would be interested in a Rossi '92 carbine in 44-40, it might be a local SASS pard shooting BP in that caliber.

(To my knowledge, Rossi doesn't import that caliber '92 into the US anymore.)

Looks like a pre-safety Rossi to me.  In my personal estimation, the fact that it doesn't have the safety enhances its value.  

As to the asking price, it feels high to me.  I would have expected to pay $400 to $500, but it's been a long time since I have seen one of these, and I have no idea what they are going for anymore.

49 minutes ago, Sacramento Johnson #6873 said:

I guess you can blame me for the contact.  He posted asking about it on the Bushcraft USA forum (I'm a member there and he's a member there for a few years under the name "slowbowjoe").  

I told him pards at the local SASS club in VT might be interested (once we figured out what he had!) and gave him a link to your club info. I figured if anybody would be interested in a Rossi '92 carbine in 44-40, it might be a local SASS pard shooting BP in that caliber.

(To my knowledge, Rossi doesn't import that caliber '92 into the US anymore.)

Well at least that may make him legit then! I play with Marlins, so clueless on a Rossi! Is there much demand for a Rossi 92? I figured being a 44-40 a BP Pard might have interest. Thanks for helping him out SJ.

EH

For what it's worth, the Rossi 92 is a decent rifle.  I have one, pre safety model, in .44 Magnum, and I really like it.   While not "perfect" the pre safety version is to my observation, much less clunky than the new ones with the safety.   At least, that's true when I compare mine to my brother's new one in .357 Magnum.

I was very satisfied with my Rossi in its unmodified configuration, until I got a real Winchester.  Then I noticed that it wasn't as smooth as an original, but still pretty good.   I eventually did have it smoothed out by Happy Trails, but minimally so.

If I wanted a 92 in .44-40, I would very seriously consider this gun

Looking it up on True value, it appears to only hold 8 rounds which make it impractical for cas.

i started SASS with a rossi 92 - still have it and have used it in the last few years , generally my backup now but i feel very confident in it performing just fine when called upon , if i didnt already have it i would be interested 

I've had a couple of these little beasts, was talked out of them. Just picked up another .357 20" barrel. Super handy little rifles, just make sure to break the sharp edge on the loading gate, as they are painfully sharp and will cut you.

Yep, Got a Rossi 1892 Puma rifle 16', 38/357, great shooting. Came with big loop lever and also got a regular lever for it. Purchas of it back in the mid 80's $145.00 it holds ten .38's. Attached is a photo with Reg & Large loop levers.

Rossi 92 big loop.jpg

The Rossi 92s are notorious for stove piping the rounds.  I have several of each barrel length.  Steve Guns is the one to work out any kinks.

FLR

2 hours ago, Frontier Lone Rider said:

The Rossi 92s are notorious for stove piping the rounds.  I have several of each barrel length.  Steve Guns is the one to work out any kinks.

FLR

I've got both a Rossi Puma (older version) and a M65, one is in .44 Mangle-em and the other in .44-40.  Never had a stovepipe jam in either.  The main thing about them was to cut about 1-1/4 turns off the ejector spring and compress in a bench vise to lessen the force required to close the final amount.  A little polishing of the locking lugs also helps.  20" 44-40 will hold 10 rounds. Use either, depending on what ammo I have loaded.

The Rossi 92s can be fussy about OAL. My first 357 hated any 38 Special load under 140 grain bullets, but would feed my 158 grain stuff just fine. This current one is not as fussy so far.

Yep, I had some of that bottle neck problem, but I shimmed the right-side cartridge guide. Have not any further problems with it doing the stove piping.

I just did a double check with my Rossi and using dummy rds. loaded ten and the OAL with 105 gr. bullets and no problems with OAL of 1.30,1.40, 1.50, 1.60.  Might add also that the ejection of the rounds gets big kicking out of the rifle.

It would probably bring $650 in today's market easy enough, but I think $750 is really pushing it.

I had four of those .44-40 Rossi's in my collection, and have parted with three of them. One I traded away, then sold the trade for ~$620 in 2021. The others went for $550 in 2022, and $500 in 2019. The .357's, .44 mags, and .45's tend to sell for notably less on the used market.

5 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

I've got both a Rossi Puma (older version) and a M65, one is in .44 Mangle-em and the other in .44-40.  Never had a stovepipe jam in either.  The main thing about them was to cut about 1-1/4 turns off the ejector spring and compress in a bench vise to lessen the force required to close the final amount.  A little polishing of the locking lugs also helps.  20" 44-40 will hold 10 rounds. Use either, depending on what ammo I have loaded.

I started with a Rossi M92.  I have 19, stainless, all but two are 45LC.  Two are 357 Mag.

Straight out of the box, all the 45LCs had stove piping issues.  Then I bought Steve Guns CD on how to correct the stove piping issue.  Yes, it requires a shim on the right side.

Archived