SASS Wire Forum

Don’t tell me deer don’t know

Trigger Mike

Don’t tell me deer are helpless and don’t know hunting laws.   

I went hunting this afternoon.  Just yesterday I was hunting and 29 minutes before sunset a deer was just inside the tree line in the shadows and I was on the other side of a power line in a blind and he kept staring at me and quietly went deeper into the woods.  I could see him with my binoculars but not my naked eye until he moved away.  

today I went and my thermal scope saw 5 just 150 yards away.  It was right at the time you could still shoot .  It was getting dark.  My scope on my Gibbs 1903a4 Springfield could not see them, only my hand held thermal.  Once it got past time you could hunt they came closer but still not visible with my rifle scope.

I looked through my thermal and watched them as I purposefully cleared my throat and coughed and made other noises but they kept grazing .  They finally ran off when my son got out of his stand a few yards down from me and got on his atv to come home.  

I’ve seen them do that other times, run during legal times to hunt and stand there eating as if we don’t matter 20 minutes later.  I guarantee you that Monday after the season ends they will be everywhere in large groups.

We noticed they can pattern the hunters as well, changing their feeding behavior and habits once the season opens. 

They can't seem to read the deer crossing signs, and cross everywhere but there...

But they have a PHD in finding posted land the day before hunting season opens ...

Jabez Cowboy

well - the three in my back yard , grazing on the yews today seemed to know that barking dog behind the glass sliding door was no threat , they ate for a good twenty minutes , attentive but just looked at the dog like he was an irritation they could put up with till dinner was done , we got a foot of snow this week , they are grazing on the accessible stuff 

11 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

We noticed they can pattern the hunters as well, changing their feeding behavior and habits once the season opens. 

When I hunted state land regular, dad and I would pay more attention to the other hunters more than deer sign. Basically, it came down to thick cover -close to the parking area.  The others would walk way back in and the deer would move out. 

We found an uptick in activity when the early risers tired and decided to go in for lunch and a nap before going back out till dark.

Not just does moving around but good bucks as well.

Here's one lunch time deer

DSCF1897.JPG

1 hour ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

We found an uptick in activity when the early risers tired and decided to go in for lunch and a nap before going back out till dark.

Not just does moving around but good bucks as well.

Here's one lunch time deer

DSCF1897.JPG

Exactly.

Archived