SASS Wire Forum

R O question

Crawdaddy

Does taking the NRA RO course qualify you to TO in SASS, I’m pretty sure you must be RO 1&2 for SASS.

No, the NRA course does not cover the SASS rules - As for being a TO you should have a fundamental knowledge of the rules and procedures so you can safely assist the shooter through the course of fire - see the shooters Handbook. 

SHB PP19 - SASS Range Safety Courses – RO-I & RO-II For a more in-depth understanding and discussion of all SASS Practices, including Range Operations, Match Roles, Rules, Procedures, and Penalties, SASS encourages ALL shooters to schedule and attend at a minimum the SASS RO-I Course early in their Cowboy Action Shooting™ journey. Additionally, you will learn the fundamentals for all match positions that serve a critical function in the fair, efficient, and SAFE execution of a match. SASS RO Classes are presented by SASS certified Instructors and can be scheduled through your local club(s).

SHB PP 18 - Safety Officers - Timer Operator – TO The role of the Timer Operator TO is to safely assist the shooter through the course of fire. Coaching and constraining the shooter from unsafe acts are expected when appropriate, minimizing procedural and safety penalties whenever possible. Proper coaching or no coaching at all is NOT considered RO interference and will never be grounds for a reshoot. Failure to stage firearms or ammunition at the designated position(s)/location(s) is the fault of the competitor and scored as a procedural unless the competitor is able to correct the situation unassisted, while in the process of completing the stage under time. The penalty of using “illegally acquired” ammunitions (i.e., NOT carried to the line/staged by the shooter in an approved manner) is a PROCEDURAL. Any targets hit using that ammo are scored as MISSES. NO adjustments will be made to the stage raw time. It is expected the Timer Operator will be the responsible party for resolving all safety related matters occurring in the loading, unloading, and firing line areas. However, as all shooters are considered Safety Officers, any shooter who observes a safety infraction not witnessed by the TO should call the infraction to a TO’s attention, at which time the matter will be resolved.

Charlie

As Lumpy said, there is no rule requiring RO classes to be a TO. Most probably do have it. Certainly at state of above. And supposed to do a refresher every 2 years. 
biggest error I see in TOing is people mis-interpreting the rules. Not all of them are straight black & White. If your not sure, then ask, try to get a good understanding of the underlying rule before making a call. It doesn’t have to be a split-second thing. 

1 hour ago, SGT. ELI 35882 GUNFIGHTER said:

Taking the RO I and RO II doesn't necessarily qualify some to TO either. ;)

I took the RO 1 course after my first cowboy shoot, it was a great way to learn the rules!

I took the WB RO class before my first WB shoot for the same reason.

Strongly recommend people take the class whether they are willing (or capable) of being a TO.

1 hour ago, SGT. ELI 35882 GUNFIGHTER said:

Taking the RO I and RO II doesn't necessarily qualify some to TO either. ;)

So True

58 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

No courses required to be a T/O in SASS

Also so true

After about 6 months shooting with the Wild Bunch in SoCal, I was handed a stop watch and told to "earn your keep"!  The RO courses are a vast improvement!  Not to mention electronic timers!

24 minutes ago, Griff said:

After about 6 months shooting with the Wild Bunch in SoCal, I was handed a stop watch and told to "earn your keep"!  The RO courses are a vast improvement!  Not to mention electronic timers!

Sort of how I ended up learning.  But by then there were electronic timers.  You started earlier than I did.  The last time I went to EOT, I was handed the timer on the 1st stage, and took it on every stage to help out.  And I was happy to do it.  Had one strange thing happen to a shooter at a Regional.  Ended up needing to get the MD to make the final call.  He agreed with me, and we moved on.  Never be afraid to ask for help.

And...as Pale Wolf Brunnel always says...Don't forget about RO 3...a little bit of common sense

I've taken the RO I & 2 classes and even a refresher. I prefer not to be the TO. There is a lot more to being the Timer Operator than just running the timer. 

BS

Archived