SASS Wire Forum

Need a smith that can resolder shotgun barrels

Sedalia Dave

Mark Novak but I suspect now that his Youtube channel is so popular there would be a long wait and it would cost more than the gun is worth.

The jigs needed to get a good job are not something most gunsmiths or table-top mechanics would have.  

And soft solder is often used on ribs, so as to protect silver solder joints joining the monoblock and barrels.

good luck, GJ

I've only done it once, and on my own shotgun. I bought a 10g SxS from another shooter, and the lower rib had separated about half the length of the barrel. I cut it down to 20", cleaned up the joint, brushed some flux into it, used a couple aluminum modeling clamps to hold it tight, laid the barrel on some blocks in a plastic tub with water so it was about a third submerged to protect the upper rib joint, and soldered it up with a propane torch. That was thirteen years ago, and no problems yet.

I repaired one of my doubles that had some of the solder broken loose using JB Weld.  The trick was to degrease it completely and make sure it was securely clamped for 24 hours.

On 1/7/2023 at 6:48 AM, Sedalia Dave said:

Have a shooter that needs the lower rib on a Baikal resoldered.  It hasn't completely separated yet.

Which smiths are up to that task.

I had the same issue on my Bakail, I called a smith in Springfield, Mo. spoke with him about it. Was $250.00 to solder it and $200 to reblue. He suggested JB weld. So I did and so far no issues with it. Another suggestion from him was the glue that the automobile industry uses to glue door hinges on.

Archived