SASS Wire Forum

10-10-10-5-4+ Side Match; Somebody please do this!

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

I am hoping that someone will create a 10-10-10-5-4+ side match.  What is a 10-10-10-5-4+ side match?  It's really very simple; 10 Main Match Rifle, 10 .22 Rifle, 10 Pistol, 5 "Big" Rifle and 4+ Shotgun.

Targets would be at appropriate distances for guns used, and could be set up very similar to a regular stage.  You could even use the same targets for everything but the shotgun, just starting farther away and moving closer as the specific gun requires.

Now, why do I really, really wish someone would create this side match?   Well, I think it would be fun.   It could be a one stage side match, or spread over, say three stages.

Why three stages?   Well, so I don't have to choose which of the following batteries to use!

Battery #1

898396551_10-10-10-5-4Lightnings.thumb.jpg.f470db5899dcaf7b30e167250907c865.jpg

From Top to Bottom...
Winchester 97, 12 Gauge
Colt Lighting, 45-85
AWA Lighting, .45 Colt
Colt Lightning .22 Long
AWA Lightning Bolt .45 Colt
My own personal Big Iron, .45 Colt  (Technically an Armi San Marco clone.)

Battery #2.

734235318_10-10-10-5-492s.thumb.jpg.ad113a079e4954597e86fd4e8bb72566.jpg

Top to Bottom

Parker Trojan, 12 Gauge.
Winchester 86, .45-70
Winchester 92. 44 Magnum
Winchester 9422, .22 LR
Chiappa Mares Leg, .44 Magnum
Uberti Clone, .44 Magnum

Battery #3.

1353093779_10-10-5-466.thumb.JPG.b21e2d3301c3f4711623e19b74ca2ff3.JPG

Winchester 87.
Uberti 76, .45-60
Uberti 66, .44-40
Uberti 66, .22 LR *
Uberti 73 that's been customized to Mares Leg type configuration, .44-40**
Colt Buntline, .44-40

* Uberti called this a 66.  It uses the same frame as their Henry.  It's essentially identical to their reproduction 73 .22's  
**  This is legally still a rifle.  It has a factory 16" barrel, and the overall length is still in excess of 26 inches, so no NFA 34 issues.  I will likely do something I have never done before and have this one short stroked and slicked up a bit.

If I had been able to find a 16" Henry, I'd have been tempted to figure out how to turn it into an ersatz Volcanic and used my Henry for the Main Match Rifle.   By the same token, if the .22 was the 73 reproduction, my rifle would likely be a 73 as well.  Ah...   The future!

So, which battery is the coolest. or most silly?   :)

For the record, I know that Mares Leg type pistols are not SASS legal.   But this IS for a side match, so anything goes.  Or, I would just swap them out for more conventional pistols if required.   The whole point of this theoretical side match is more shooting, more fun.   That's all.

Sounds ok to me. 
Let us know how it goes at your next club monthly. Though it may have to replace 1-3 more conventional stages as most monthly matches I am familiar with don’t put on side events. Perhaps at a state or higher where side matches are more frequent. Then which common side matches will you eliminate to fit this into time available? And if I may suggest, that if you are replacing stages in the main match, you probably ought to let people know in advance both to be sure they bring the needed equipment and to gauge interest after evaluating your match. Your match officials could help you there. Also, while I clean my guns (some say too much) having another couple to clean up for a “theoretical” 1 stage or even 3 stage side match sounds a little more like work than I care for. 
Have you written the scenarios? What kinds of movements (if any) will be involved? And what constitutes “big rifles”? Are 30-30 and 38-55 okay?

I say you should go for it and let us know if the support is there and it may catch on. 
Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

1 hour ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

Have you written the scenarios? What kinds of movements (if any) will be involved? And what constitutes “big rifles”? Are 30-30 and 38-55 okay?

I say you should go for it and let us know if the support is there and it may catch on. 

This is all theoretical.   I had not considered the possibility of it being part of a main match, just as a side match, most likely at a multi day shoot that has side matches.    Usually there's all kinds of room and time for a plethora of side matches.

As to what is a "big rifle," well, Winchester 76, 86, 94 or 95.  Large Frame Colt Lightning. Marlin or other rifles of similar size.

Basically, rifles that fire cartridges that are too big to fit in a normal revolver. 

I guess the Spencer could go either way.

I've shot a 20-20-10-10-6 many times before. Called the Super Stage. Even has poppers and a slider. Wolffs Rowdy Rangers in Bristol Indiana.  Sometimes they throw in a big single for a bonus. Good stuff. 

19 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

I've shot a 20-20-10-10-6 many times before. Called the Super Stage. Even has poppers and a slider. Wolffs Rowdy Rangers in Bristol Indiana.  Sometimes they throw in a big single for a bonus. Good stuff. 

20-20-10-10-6 stands for what?

What's a big single?  Something like a Trapdoor or a Rolling Block?

I still like the basic concept.

But like many things new, sometimes we have to work kinks out. 

Local matches are the logical place to do that.

If we are going to get stuff in front of others sometimes the process starts with the originator pushing things along by themselves.

For instance, what if only a few shooters have all of the necessary firearms? I have a '76 in 45-60, a highwall in 38-55, a henry in 22, and a 336 in 30-30. GTG as I understand it.

But I know more who don't have cowboy guns in anything but pistol cartridge so are they automatically excluded?

As a stand alone side match it will take a larger match to both attract a decent number of participants and justify time set aside to run it. What if someone put this on, setting aside 2-3 hours for it and only 3 people came? 

If this is something you have discussed with match director types great, if locally you think it would fly in a match or as a sidematch fantastic. But (and a big but) if this is something you want to do with some buddies on a weekend I would try that first. If it only draws a few that would be ok, you still would be having fun, but if only a couple show that also is an answer.

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

53 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

20-20-10-10-6 stands for what?

What's a big single?  Something like a Trapdoor or a Rolling Block?

Twenty rifle, twenty pistol, ten 22 pistol, ten 22 rifle, six shotgun. And yes, a big single shot rifle, provided for the shooters.

16 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Sounds like a lot of fun.   Reloads on the 20's, or extra guns?

Extra guns. As I shoot with my daughter Kaya, we just loaned each other our guns. 

36 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

Extra guns. As I shoot with my daughter Kaya, we just loaned each other our guns. 

There used to be a club around here that did an annual "Iron Man" Match.   2 Main Match rifles, 4 Pistols and a "Whole Bunch" of Shotgun targets.  Just as much shooting in a 3 stage match as in a regular 6 stage one.

The general premise was, "bring what you have, and share/borrow the rest."

Since not every one has rifles & pistols in the required chamberings... how'll that work.  I don't own a .22, nor have any interest in doing so... Doesn't seem "inclusive" to me.  Seems decidedly exclusionary.  One of the worst matches I ever attended... and have refused to return, included, a main match stage that included, a rifle chambered rifle, pistol cartridge rifle, pump shotgun, side by side shotgun, a bow & arrow, throwing hawk, pistol and throwing a knife... When a match director publicly states that he doesn't want anyone outside the club to win, it's not a match that I'll attend.  As a side match, I don't have a problem with such convoluted shenanigans... I can choose to join in, or not.

11 hours ago, Griff said:

Since not every one has rifles & pistols in the required chamberings... how'll that work.  I don't own a .22, nor have any interest in doing so... Doesn't seem "inclusive" to me.  Seems decidedly exclusionary.  One of the worst matches I ever attended... and have refused to return, included, a main match stage that included, a rifle chambered rifle, pistol cartridge rifle, pump shotgun, side by side shotgun, a bow & arrow, throwing hawk, pistol and throwing a knife... When a match director publicly states that he doesn't want anyone outside the club to win, it's not a match that I'll attend.  As a side match, I don't have a problem with such convoluted shenanigans... I can choose to join in, or not.

In a way, ALL side matches are exclusionary in one way or another.   But that's part of why I thought of this specifically as a side match; it would be purely voluntary.  There are plenty of side matches that I don't do because I don't have the needed guns or they just don't interest me.  This would be no different than that.   As far as the one you described goes, if I knew about it in advance, I'd be inclined to wanna try it.   But I don't every thing on the list.   The club should make loaners available for each of the "non standard" items.  Or, do it side by side with a regular 10-10-4+ scenario for those who don't wanna try all the extras.  Such pards would just skip those parts of the scenario.  I suppose you could do the same for my idea if you wanted to do it in a main match, but I never thought of it as that kind of an option.

That being said, I have attended a shoot where it was either 10-10-4, or 10-5-4.   The 5 was for people shooting "big" rifles with targets farther out than normal.  Everything else was the same.   Nobody got confused, and everyone just chose the category they were interested in.  And this was at a State Championship.   

Working on a version of this for the Colorado state shoot next fall. I will keep you all posted. 

We did something similar at my home club for a side match we called it the all gun stage. Main match rifle, pistols, shotgun.  Plus derringer, pocket pistol, 1911 45acp,  22 pistol and a big bore rifle.  So 10, 10, 4+, 2, 5, 5, 5, 1. so 38 and 4+  it was a hoot!!

On 1/6/2023 at 7:16 PM, Michigan Slim said:

Twenty rifle, twenty pistol, ten 22 pistol, ten 22 rifle, six shotgun. And yes, a big single shot rifle, provided for the shooters.

Hay Slim more like 14 or more shotgun

Archived