SASS Wire Forum

Ruger NM Blackhawk Action Improvement

Major Hazzard, SASS #23254

I have a couple of New Model Blackhawks, one in .45 and one in .357.  Both have (I guess) typical Ruger actions, so obviously room for improvement.  I've considered off an on over the years sending them out for action jobs, but I've never used either enough to push me over that edge and get it done.  Meanwhile action job price tags have only gone up.  Today, I accidentally discovered what Midway calls the "Power Custom Hammer and Trigger Kit with Wolff Spring Kit" for Ruger single actions, and I figured perhaps this would be a reasonable alternative to $200-$300 apiece for the typical action job.  Has anyone here on the Wire had any experience with these things?  

I’ve used wolff spring www.gunsprings.com on all my Rugers including my Blackhawks.  
I’ve found I need 19 pounders for pesky CCI primers, but 17’s will handle the others.  
before you take the spring out, go look on YouTube how to get them back together.   
I’ve mangled many a fork until I figured out the drill press method was easiest.  
when you have it open, polish up all the wear surfaces with 800 grit paper and Flitz… 

you’re not removing metal, just smoothing it up.   Also polish the bar the spring rides on.  

Shoot a few hundred rds  from each gun then decide if you want to go with lighter springs. I do use  Wolff  kits and like them.

2 hours ago, Not Dead Ed said:

I’ve used wolff spring www.gunsprings.com on all my Rugers including my Blackhawks.  
I’ve found I need 19 pounders for pesky CCI primers, but 17’s will handle the others.  
before you take the spring out, go look on YouTube how to get them back together.   
I’ve mangled many a fork until I figured out the drill press method was easiest.  
when you have it open, polish up all the wear surfaces with 800 grit paper and Flitz… 

you’re not removing metal, just smoothing it up.   Also polish the bar the spring rides on.  

Thanks for the recommendations.  My plan is, at a minimum, to replace the hammer and trigger springs with Wolff's versions, either 17 or 19.  I'm not loyal to any specific primers when it comes to pistols, but it makes sense to use the 19 pounders.

1 hour ago, Texas Jack Black said:

Shoot a few hundred rds  from each gun then decide if you want to go with lighter springs. I do use  Wolff  kits and like them.

Thanks for helping!  I should have mentioned I've owned these revolvers for over 40 years.  They haven't been run hard, but they do both have several hundred rounds of Keith semi-wadcutters behind them.  I've always wished both were more like most of us like our guns to run, and now that I'm retired for a couple of years I'm have the time and full interest in making them better.  So, I figure either foot the bill for a traditional action job, or maybe try these Power Custom hammer and trigger kits, or maybe just the springs., and  wondering what the Ruger guys here recommend.

1 hour ago, Major Hazzard, SASS #23254 said:

Thanks for helping!  I should have mentioned I've owned these revolvers for over 40 years.  They haven't been run hard, but they do both have several hundred rounds of Keith semi-wadcutters behind them.  I've always wished both were more like most of us like our guns to run, and now that I'm retired for a couple of years I'm have the time and full interest in making them better.  So, I figure either foot the bill for a traditional action job, or maybe try these Power Custom hammer and trigger kits, or maybe just the springs., and  wondering what the Ruger guys here recommend.

I would up the ante that Texas Jack Black put on the table and say that a few hundred rounds is not nearly enough to get a read on what might be necessary as far as a solid match gun needs. While I don't shoot nearly as much as I used to a few hundred rounds is just barely a good one day practice session. I wouldn't bet my life shooting that few in my EDC before trusting it and that is just barely three matches worth of ammo to justify a couple hundred dollars of parts. I would most likely shoot at least 6-7 hundred before changing anything.

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

BTW my match guns are in the over 70,000 range with nothing but polishing and springs. Pretty happy with them.

All the best

Another trick is to look at the parts to see where there may be "streaks" due to friction.  A good example is on the side of the hammer.  Often there is some friction against the frame.

Put some very fine sand paper or Emory cloth on a piece of glass.  This keeps it level.  They lay the hammer on the side and rub it so smooth is slightly.  Also, see in the frame where it rubs.Wrap some very fine sand paper around a "pop cycle stick and remove the rough edges. 

Do the same on the frame where it may rub against the trigger.

Best tune job I ever got was shooting at WR 1999. Wind blew all week until Friday afternoon. Guns were full of fine dust and everything was polished by the time the shooting was over. Shooters shouldn't clean their guns after every match, just let the grit do it's work and guns will loosen up. 

One evening at Paradise Pass, Deuce Stevens came up and said "Slim, where's your pistols?" I asked him why? He said "I can hear them when you shoot and it's killing me." He then proceeded to put in a spring kit. Absolutely a wonderful upgrade! I highly recommend it.

Are these going to be used as SASS match guns? or hunting or maybe just for fun .This might determine just how light you want the  actions to be.

Best Wishes and enjoy your retirement

TJB

On 1/7/2023 at 7:49 AM, Texas Jack Black said:

Are these going to be used as SASS match guns? or hunting or maybe just for fun .This might determine just how light you want the  actions to be.

Best Wishes and enjoy your retirement

TJB

Just for fun and sharing with friends.

Just for fun and sharing with friends ,  Maybe smoother would be best.  I do like to lighten my kicking around woods guns  to 10 lb. Buy a set and try the different weight springs.   If I was to let others shoot my toys I would leave them stock and just smooth them a bit.

Best Wishes

TJB

I got Wolff spring kits for my two SBHs (17, 18 and 19 lbs hammer springs, lighter trigger spring and a harder spring for the base pin holder). I chose the 17 lbs hammer spring instead of the 23 lbs original one and the guns cock smooth and shoot reliably with Fiocchi and Magtech primers.

I removed the hammer strut and installed the springs without removing the grip frame, which I'd recommend, even though it can be a bit finicky. I found out how on YouTube. 

Thanks a million for all the thoughtful guidance!  I'm inclined to agree it 's too early to say hundreds of dollars in new parts is in order here.  I'm going to try the Wolff spring kits OLG recommended along with careful inspection and smoothing things out per NDE and Marauder, and as much shooting them as I can get away with.  I bought the .45 new back in 1977, still have the box with the $135 price tag on it.  May brother bought the .357 new less than a year later, but it's mine now.  Both have led very quiet lives, but now's the time to get them out.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2023 at 9:26 AM, Major Hazzard, SASS #23254 said:

Thanks a million for all the thoughtful guidance!  I'm inclined to agree it 's too early to say hundreds of dollars in new parts is in order here.  I'm going to try the Wolff spring kits OLG recommended along with careful inspection and smoothing things out per NDE and Marauder, and as much shooting them as I can get away with.  I bought the .45 new back in 1977, still have the box with the $135 price tag on it.  May brother bought the .357 new less than a year later, but it's mine now.  Both have led very quiet lives, but now's the time to get them out.

Wolff springs are now in the .45, and they did make a very nice improvement.  Not night and day, but definitely enough to merit the time and expense.  Next I'll detail strip the .357 and see what I can improve with some 800 grit paper and Flitz as well as new springs.  If the improvement is significantly better than what I got with the .45, I'll give it the same treatment.  Again, thanks to all for those suggestions.

Archived