SASS Wire Forum

Iowa or Indiana ??

Chili Ron

Howdy,

Illinois gun grabbers are winning and will soon be grabbing......

So Iowa or Indiana? Which would be best?

I dont want to move north because that would mean longer winters.

I read that 100,000 a year leave Illinois.

And most friends retire and move out within a year.

Maybe a cousin will tend my folks, grandparents,

great grandparents and great great grandparents graves.

A friend retired and moved a few years back.

His grandparents cleared land to farm.

A shame to sell my dads house.  

O well.

Best

CR

I grew up in Iowa.  It was thoroughly blue back then because all the working class people had bought into the left's lie about how they take care of the average person.  Now that the left has gone off the deep end, the rural and rural-ish Iowans have seen through the BS and have flipped strongly red.  It's one of the reddest states around now.  Climate is, of course, similar to Illinois (which I hate, by the way, but it's what you're used to!). 

1 hour ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

O well.

Best

CR

Why not try Ohio? Basically the same climate as Illinois in the north but more moderate in the south like Columbus, Cincinnati etc.  but the laws are very gun friendly. Constitutional Carry, no waiting period for buying anyhting you'd like including AR's etc. Lots of Cowboy shoots too and very friendly people!

Come on Ron.  Move north.  Come for the people, stay because your car won't start.

On a more serious note, central Wisconsin, the property values are modest and the taxes, as long as you aren't on a lake are cheap.  You can buy a 40 or 80 acre parcel and set up your own gun range.  Gun shops are drying up but they are everywhere.  There are a few in and around the Rapids/Point area.  A couple of clubs within an hour and a half distance.  Decent medical coverage, Friday night fish frys, nice people :D  and an average football team.  If you like to golf, you can go to a different course every week.  There is the snow thing.  If you have a good compact tractor or a snow blower, it isn't really an issue.  There a number of services that will do snow removal for you.  At least where I'm at.  The cold?  That only lasts a few days to a couple weeks.  It does that everywhere.  Heck fire, it snows enough the cover the ground in Florida, they shut the whole state down.  Up here it is a minor annoyance.  It is rather exhilarating doing donuts in the parking lot. (I think that should be taught in drivers ed.  Learn to correct fishtail, over steer, under steer.)

I get what you are saying though.  I look forward to a vacation in the warm climes more and more.

5 hours ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

O well.

Best

CR

5 years back a bunch of us got ahold of old school friends and have a mini reunion at an old Pizza Place we use to hang at. 17 still lived in Illinois, we had 36 attend. Of those 17, none remain in Illinois. Moved out because of high taxes and can no longer afford, nor those that are controlling the "serfs" of Illinois. Our niece and her husband just left Southern Illinois were he was a coal miner with no future and a 1560sqf house paying 5475.00 yearly property taxes.

North west Indiana is a sh!!hole too. Indy sucks. Fort Wayne is tolerable for now. Getting to be the wild west. North central is nice if well away from South Bend. 

Southern Indiana, down close to Cincinnati is the best deer and turkey hunting in the state. I used to do the yearly hunting forecast for Indiana Game and Fish and the difference between the vast corn desert north of Indy and SE Indiana is astounding. And you can make trips to Jungle Jim's International Food Market to get anything edible that you can think of.

Of the two i would go with Iowa. But you should consider southern Wisconsin. If you live in northern Illinois the climate is not much different. Besides we have a real nice cowboy range that has shoots twice a month April through October.   

We left Chicago in 86, moving to Southern IL [Carterville]. We left there in '20 to North Central AR because of family. We do not miss IL lawmakers, even though the Southern 3/4 of IL are Red.

I was born in Iowa, lived there til I was 15, family moved to Illinois and I lived there until I was 52. Never liked the Midwest, moved here to Arizona 21 years ago and I've never looked back. 

Southwest Missouri.

Enough clubs here that you can shoot every weekend and even during the week.

That's just in Missouri. You can get to Arkansas, Oklahoma and Kansas, for more.

And it's a bit warmer.

Illinois looks the best in a rearview mirror.

Ask me how I know

I've lived in Iowa most of my life and would never leave. People are "Iowa Nice". 

We have two SASS clubs in the Des Moines area. 

5 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

North west Indiana is a sh!!hole too. Indy sucks. Fort Wayne is tolerable for now. Getting to be the wild west. North central is nice if well away from South Bend. 

People from Detroit tell me how bad Gary is :) 

10 hours ago, Buckshot Bob said:

People from Detroit tell me how bad Gary is :) 

Went there once to look around. I was working in the area and went for a ride. I imagine Ukraine looks similar right now.

2 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

Went there once to look around. I was working in the area and went for a ride. I imagine Ukraine looks similar right now.

I was always told if you’re passing through Indiana don’t stop there for gas 

Just now, Buckshot Bob said:

Or anywhere near. It's spreading out.

Where ever you look to live, find out how close you are to a hospital, fire station or police agency. As you get long in the tooth, the probability that you will need these folks in the dead of night becomes evident. We actually turned down a beautiful property because the closest fire station was almost 30 minutes away, staffed by a dozen volunteers. That means you have to wait for the folks to get up, get dressed and drive to the station, get the truck and THEN head to your house. Stuff you don't think about in your 30's or 40's become more important is the years that follow.

Howdy

One grandfathers house burned many years ago.

A lot of family stuff gets wiped away. Pictures and letters

all sorts of stuff is gone.  People today have ten backups

of any snapshot of their dog.

I just hope this grabber deal fails.

Best

CR

On 1/7/2023 at 9:37 AM, Buckshot Bob said:

Yep.
I had to stop in Gary, Indiana at the Broadway exit, cuz I was out of gas.

At the gas station, a cop pulled up, told me I was the wrong color to be there, and get back on the freeway, pronto.

On 1/6/2023 at 3:47 PM, Tex Wilson said:

I was born in Iowa, lived there til I was 15, family moved to Illinois and I lived there until I was 52. Never liked the Midwest, moved here to Arizona 21 years ago and I've never looked back. 

I assume folks in the midwest are unaware of the desert southwest?

Because there is ZERO reason to live where it snows when Arizona and Nevada exist.

Born and raised in Michigan - NEVER again.

45 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

I assume folks in the midwest are unaware of the desert southwest?

Because there is ZERO reason to live where it snows when Arizona and Nevada exist.

Born and raised in Michigan - NEVER again.

But but but... the ice fishing SUCKS down there!

Kinda sucks here now too though

20 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

But but but... the ice fishing SUCKS down there!

Kinda sucks here now too though

Here; fixed it for you.

ice fishing SUCKS.  :D

Though, my Grandpa loved ice fishing - a love that I discovered quickly; I did not share.

19 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

And the snowmobile engines seize up on the sand.

Um; we figured out this one pretty quickly.

You replace the track and skis with wheels and raise the engine up a little bit.

Handles a little differently - but the ability to do it year around outweighs any downsides. 

56 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Here; fixed it for you.

ice fishing SUCKS.  :D

Though, my Grandpa loved ice fishing - a love that I discovered quickly; I did not share.

Um; we figured out this one pretty quickly.

You replace the track and skis with wheels and raise the engine up a little bit.

Handles a little differently - but the ability to do it year around outweighs any downsides. 

We have those too, they are not anywhere near a snowmobile in performance.  We do ride snowmobiles year round, on melted snow.  https://snowgoer.com/news/fischer-sweeps-heads-into-grantsburg-watercross-as-favorite/29540/

@Chili Ron What are you looking for in housing, community, recreation?  That could help up give you targeted reviews.  

27 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

USS Indiana

98F88B69-9F45-41B8-B4BE-E4645709DFAD.jpeg

ISS Iowa 

55D7A85A-E598-4077-A816-04D2272AABA4.jpeg

And they both did an admiral job.

Just now, Michigan Slim said:

And they both did an admiral job.

Admirable job

My sister just went to Texas when her husband died back in June, I spent a good amount of the summer working on her house and helping pack it up so she could move. She was lucky, it sold the same day it was listed.

I live on the family farm (300 acres) in Southern Illinois (250 miles south of Chicago) and shot a 8 point buck in the back yard sitting on a chair at 20 yards. I have my own practice range for cowboy.

My parents live of the other side of the farm and are in their 80's and for the first time ever last month they commented they would like to leave Illinois, but we could never get enough money when we sell out to replace the farm if we moved to another state. Dad grew up in Missouri in St Louis and commented they would like to live in southeast Missouri or near Iron Mountain where he summered as a kid.

I think I would go back to Northern Alabama if we were to sellout everything, however, I am here as long as the family decides to keep the farm.

Right now looking after them and the farm keeps me busy.

I think Texas or Kentucky would be my second choice.

Archived