SASS Wire Forum

Speaking of groceries....

Speaking of groceries....

Sedalia Dave reports eggs up to about $8 a dozen in some places.  Yup... seen 'em at that price.  Cheaper at Costco, but they're usually out of 'em.  So's the supermarket.  

And what's with $4 for a head of iceberg lettuce - supposedly marked down from five bucks?  Bacon near $10/lb?  $30 - $35 for a chuck roast??  Heck... last trip to Costco, just for poops and giggles I peeked at some of the more "desirable" cuts of beef.  Hm.  Thirty-eight bucks a pound??  Yikes!   :o

Oh... wait... that's right.  I live in california, where it's considered a privilege to pay high prices.  :wacko:

At least the bill [AB 2764] to outright ban new or expansion of existing feed lots, meat processing, and the sale of animals for food failed.  

Time for Soylent Green...?  :rolleyes:

image.thumb.png.e7a6ae196a891514cf387582ddd23f15.png    image.thumb.png.1a131c45e9f82141deeaed59e3c9b316.png

Yup, good ole Biden economy.  My neighbor has taken up raising goats. Has several hundred mixed in with his cattle. Both meat and milk goats. Need to learn to cook goat.

What’s wrong with those of us that stay up all night. Must be a lack of meat and eggs

23 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I’m not seeing those prices.  Saw gas under three bucks.

Marshall that goes with your state motto! 

Here in RI with the state being 38 miles north to south there is a 30c per gallon difference in gas prices town to town, same "brands"   Providence seems to be close to the lowest gas prices.  

I was going to add to my chicken flock, for eggs, but at $25 for a bag of feed it's still not price efficient.   

Next year may be the year to buy a small freezer and put a couple of Bambi's dad's in it! 

Here in WV eggs are a little under $4 / dozen. I paid $1.28 for a half gallon of milk the other day.
I filled up my wife’s Suburban for $3.10 / gal. a couple of days ago.

Veggies - radishes $1.30 / bunch, celery $1.78 / stalk, green peppers $.79 each. 

Canned veggies ~$1.00 fit store brand.

Soups (I buy canned soup, live with it) Campbell’s Chunky soups ~$2.50 / can.

NOTE: This post is in no way meant to be CaliforniaN bashing - notice the “N”? If you hate CA I am sure you’ve said it already numerous times on here so just save it.

One thing that has always baffled me is California could literally isolate itself from the rest of the world and live off the food and resources found within the state. Meat, dairy, vegetables, etc. are all grown and processed there in abundance yet prices for goods do not reflect that there. A good example is Lucerne Dairy Products. They are a huge dairy business yet their prices in CA are half again higher than the same products that can be bought outside the state. I know these CA prices aren’t all high due to legislation. There is a serious inflation issue there in some areas, especially when I could buy a gallon of milk in San Bernardino County for $4, but that same gallon would cost $6.50 in Huntington Beach. 

Eggs here are around $3.29, gas is $2.99-$3.30. Everything has gone up but not as bad as California. 

Ok, I went searching for egg prices in local markets.  There’s a ‘horror show’ price of $9.60.  But the price I paid is 5.15/dozen.  Few pay the horror show price but there are some who want the “organic, pasture raised” eggs. (I have to laugh at the wording.)

14 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Eggs here are around $3.29, gas is $2.99-$3.30. Everything has gone up but not as bad as California. 

BTW I have seen eggs At almost $5.00 but I buy the cheapest I can find! :lol:

2 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I’m not seeing those prices.  Saw gas under three bucks.

We are seeing substantially higher prices, and gas went back over $3 rather quickly after the mid term elections.  Eggs are $4 to $5 per dozen, and there hasn't been a sale on chicken in almost a year.

Well thats my eggs are 4 bucks a dozen delivered to work , fresh local, Beef well local packed local raised Rancher thats been doing it since 1898  aged 28 days and grain finished also delivered to my door . . If you have the option to buy local do it because You think that bix box cares if you eat you are sadly wrong 

20 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

Feed for all farm animals are much higher.  Fertilizer prices tripped last year.  Farmer brothers that rent our pasture ground tell of shocking prices on operating cost. Takes a lot of diesel to grow corn to make ethanol.  

Thanks Ukraine for the fertilizer I know several farmers that are not fully planting again this year . 

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Here in WV eggs are a little under $4 / dozen. I paid $1.28 for a half gallon of milk the other day.
I filled up my wife’s Suburban for $3.10 / gal. a couple of days ago.

Veggies - radishes $1.30 / bunch, celery $1.78 / stalk, green peppers $.79 each. 

Canned veggies ~$1.00 fit store brand.

Soups (I buy canned soup, live with it) Campbell’s Chunky soups ~$2.50 / can.

NOTE: This post is in no way meant to be CaliforniaN bashing - notice the “N”? If you hate CA I am sure you’ve said it already numerous times on here so just save it.

One thing that has always baffled me is California could literally isolate itself from the rest of the world and live off the food and resources found within the state. Meat, dairy, vegetables, etc. are all grown and processed there in abundance yet prices for goods do not reflect that there. A good example is Lucerne Dairy Products. They are a huge dairy business yet their prices in CA are half again higher than the same products that can be bought outside the state. I know these CA prices aren’t all high due to legislation. There is a serious inflation issue there in some areas, especially when I could buy a gallon of milk in San Bernardino County for $4, but that same gallon would cost $6.50 in Huntington Beach. 

Bubba, crappy legislation CAUSES inflation!  They are like Siamese twins.

Decided to cook a rib roast for Christmas dinner. Kind of a tradition in my household. Turkey for thanksgiving and rib roast for Christmas.  

Went to Kroger. A 5 lb rib roast was $125. So....... I went to Priceless Foods. Found a 7 lb rib roast for $48. The roast came from  South America. (Priceless Foods currently discloses this) .After a 1 day brine, plus a day in dry rub, then 2 1/2 hours in a rotisserie we sat for dinner. Threw it in the garbage

ill be eating only local farmed beef from here on out. My neighbor who is a farmer says that local grown calttle are bought and shipped overseas, while what we get at the super market is bought and brought into the states.  His hogs are shipped to China, packaged and sent back to the states.  How in hell is that efficient. 

Ive tried to fact check what I’ve been told but the Democrats have blocked attempts at labeling country of origin legislature  

If anyone has information on the subject I would appreciate it. In the meantime I’m going to get everything I can from my local farmers.

6 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Meat, dairy, vegetables, etc. are all grown and processed there in abundance yet prices for goods do not reflect that there.

Real estate/rent/lease costs, insurance, taxes, massive over-regulation all play into that.

Gas here in Sonoma County is around $4.50/gallon, eggs about 4 bucks, milk between $2 & $4 per gallon.  

It pays to look at prices.  Safeway is running a Buy One, Get One special on 80/20 ground beef in about pound to pound and a half packages.  $7.99/lb so call it $4/pound.  Right next to that was their "mega pack" of 4 to 5 pounds at $3.49/lb.

A 2 pound block of Tillamook cheese is $12 for $14 each. Butter is $4 to $6 per pound.

Tri Tip, trimmed, is $8/lb.  Safeway is running a special on untrimmed Tri Tip, 2 pack for $2.99/lb.  I had been thinking of buying that and grinding it.

IMG_20230105_132436923.thumb.jpg.9ae8da8a73dd3f5bef5c89d708689a80.jpg

When I looked at it I knew that I'd be trimming off at least 3 pounds of fat, silver skin, etc.  

Pork belly at Safeway is 9 bucks a pound in 1 to 2 pound chunks.  The Chef's Store (formerly Cash and Carry), a restaurant supply store, has it at about 6 bucks, but that's in 15 pound slabs.

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada: This week's Food Basics flyer; Medium Ground Beef 2.98 lb; Chicken Leg Quarters 1.68 lb.;Bone in pork chops 3.99 lb; Pork cottage roll 2.99 lb; Fresh boneless stewing meat and Eye of Round beef roast 7.99 lb; fresh Rainbow trout 10.99 lb.

Freshco: Schneiders Bacon 375 Gram 3.88

5 minutes ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

As far as beef goes, of course prices vary depending on what you're buying.  But it has amazed me to see plain old chuck roast at $8.99 to $9.99 a pound. As someone mentioned 30 to 40 dollars for a chuck roast!

My Rib Eye and tenderloin plus burger  ect all averages out to 4.32 a lb  :) 

5 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Bubba, crappy legislation CAUSES inflation!  They are like Siamese twins.

I was talking about greed. Pure and simple. 

I did an experiment one day. I went to Von’s super markets in 3 towns and selected several items to price check. The list of items aren’t important. What’s important is the stores locations dictated pricing. The stores were in Huntington Beach, Garden Grove (my local store) and another location in Garden Grove, a poorer area. 
One would think the Huntington Beach store would have the highest prices. They did not. They had the lowest overall. 
The store near me, centered in a large retirement community had 15-30% higher prices on healthier foods and items retirees frequently purchase. 
The other store in Garden Grove in a predominantly Latino area the prices on everything were 10-25% higher than prices in Huntington Beach. 
I questioned a manager at the store near my house and this Dipwad actually told me prices were higher there because most of the retirees in the area were more or less captive customers. They had no where else to go. 

I sent my findings to Von’s corporate. I kid you not, about 6 months later Von’s sent out fliers to all their customers saying they had realigned all their pricing throughout all their stores so a $5 item at one Von’s would be $5 at any other. Problem is they realigned all the prices to match all the higher prices at all their stores. 

Greed, pure snd simple. 

SJ, it was tasteless , like cardboard. Dry as heck, yet full of grease. I’ve been doing this meal for over 40 years and only now experienced it. How do you get oily beef that comes out this tasteless when you don’t change the recipe.  I have no clue other than that fact that other friends are also complaining about the lack of taste from South American beef. Guess I need to change my recipe, or quit complaining and pay the price for what I like. 

8 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Freshco: Schneiders Bacon 375 Gram 3.88

See, it’s a conspiracy! Even in Canada they’re shorting 1 pound packages and what makes it worse it’s the bacon! 
For those of you that only speak ‘Merican that’s 13oz of bacon…well, 13.22 oz. :P

The replacement for a couple hundred head of cattle. My neighbor is only doing what he has to in order to survive. 900 plus acres and barely making it. Just sold 6.5 acres on my border for $120,000. 2 years ago an acreage of land would run about $2500 in this area. With the influx of people from California, Chicago and New York it’s now thru the roof.  Yeah I could sell out and make a mint but where would I go.  

The immigrants are over runnings the systems and taxes are going above the sky and changing everything. Life will never be the same. I love helping others, but they should fight for their own ground they way our our ancestors did. I served as my father and his father did. What’s wrong with our country. I’m glad I’m getting to the end of my journey as young individuals don’t seem to have a clue

rant off

3530BB6B-23C9-419A-9313-5760D01E2ED0.jpeg

7FEA2E34-B0A7-462B-87DA-A22A9A502DAC.jpeg

5821A10D-FEDE-4E17-8D0B-C48E6E06AFFB.jpeg

On 1/6/2023 at 3:11 PM, Tennessee Trapper Tom said:

SJ, it was tasteless , like cardboard. Dry as heck, yet full of grease. I’ve been doing this meal for over 40 years and only now experienced it. How do you get oily beef that comes out this tasteless when you don’t change the recipe.  I have no clue other than that fact that other friends are also complaining about the lack of taste from South American beef. Guess I need to change my recipe, or quit complaining and pay the price for what I like. 

I would've sworn I had replied to this yesterday.

Maybe the beves were bred to be cooked like this

The couple they interviewed from the states, Christina and Mike own our favorite St. Louis BBQ, Sugarfire.  We love that place and will make a point of eating there, should we ever go back.

I do the shopping for our Lodge monthly breakfast.
We go through 150 eggs, 10 pounds of bacon, 5 pounds of sausage, and a 5lb bag of Krusteaz pancake/waffle mix, plus the other stuff.
Breakfast is $5 for anything you want.

As of this writing, a 60-count flat of Costco eggs is $14 compared to $21 at Winco and Walmart.
Costco coffee is $16/3# Arabica, and the best value to date.

I assembled a spread sheet of all my shopping needs, and then make the circuit of 5 supermarkets to find the best prices.
Costco is always packed to standing room only.. it takes most of the day to shop.

49 minutes ago, bgavin said:

assembled a spread sheet of all my shopping needs, and then make the circuit of 5 supermarkets to find the best prices

Do you check The Chef's Store?  Restaurant supply outfit, used to be Cash and Carry, open to the public.

Screenshot_20230108-104808.png

Yep, sure did.
Right next door is the chef's toystore as well.... nice toys for the kitchen.
Due to distance, only go there if truly desperate, or I can get a brother who lives closer to stop by.

8 minutes ago, bgavin said:

Due to distance, only go there if truly desperate, or I can get a brother who lives closer to stop by.

I know you somewhere in the Sacramento area, wasn't sure how close to one of the stores.  

I've learned to be careful there.  Lots of people think that everything is going to be less expensive there, but I've found that some things are the same or higher than a regular supermarket.

Archived