SASS Wire Forum

SKB 100 locking up, failure to cock RH side.

Bad Bascomb, SASS # 47,494

:ph34r:  Right side  cocking lever fails to move when trying to open barrels.  Left side will work fine.  Opens just enough to remove hulls,and then refuses to move further.  Not wanting to force things, but doesn't feel like it would move anyway.  Don't want to break anything.

Noticed problem after first dry-fire pair was successful, then 2nd pair wouldn't click on RH barrel. Is there something a gun mechanic like myself can look for?

Is there an SKB guru left in Southern Cal?  My previous problems were tended to by Johnny Meadows or Goatneck Clem, and they are now both 'retired'.

Ideas welcome.

:ph34r:  Investigation reveals about 1/4" broken off the proximal end of the sear spring, right where it engages the notch on the hammer. 

Ideas on where these are available?  It appears there is no left or right orientation to them.

No joy from Brownells.....

:ph34r:  Thanks to all who replied, both here and via PM.  Turns out, it's not the sear spring, but the hammer spring ($30 vs $6) :(.  Oh, well.  But at least having found the problem and discovered the fix and a source for the part, as my brother used to say, "If you have a problem fixable by just throwing money at it, you really don't have a problem...."

Thanks again for the help!

1 hour ago, Bad Bascomb, SASS # 47,494 said:

:ph34r:  Thanks to all who replied, both here and via PM.  Turns out, it's not the sear spring, but the hammer spring ($30 vs $6) :(.  Oh, well.  But at least having found the problem and discovered the fix and a source for the part, as my brother used to say, "If you have a problem fixable by just throwing money at it, you really don't have a problem...."

Thanks again for the help!

Replace both hammer springs 

:ph34r:  Two hammer springs ordered @ $30 each, with $10 shipping from Omaha, NE.  Good site:  skbshotguns.com.  Expensive?  Perhaps.....  but AVAILABLE!

Thanks for all the help and encouragement here and via PM.

:ph34r:  UPDATE!  New springs hour-glassed, polished and installed.  All mechanisms cleaned and lubed, functioning smoothly. 

A new appreciation for SKB   design and quality of materials and manufacture.  And for the good gunsmiths who keep our tools of the game running.

When they do a complete 'race-ready action job' on your S X S, they earn every cent.  I'm sure I took 3 times longer than a knowledgable smith would have, but I enjoyed every minute.  Well, maybe not the minutes spent finding a dropped screw......

I have and have worked on my Norinco and Winchester '97's & '87, Browning BSS and Stoeger shotguns.  This SKB seems like a Swiss watch compared to a Timex when comparing to the Stoeger.   

Archived