SASS Wire Forum

Brasso to clean shells?

Rye Miles #13621

I know this has probably been discussed before but I can’t find it in a search on this wire, so..,,..

Does anyone use Brasso to clean your brass ?? Pros and cons ?

Much obliged , Rye 

I have used it on cartridge brass, but I don't often use it.  It's got ammonia in it which weakens brass.  Be real sure to water wash it to remove any remnants.   I find Lemishine to be a little kinder.

good luck, GJ

I've used way back in the day before I found there were better ways to clean brass.

9 minutes ago, Griff said:

I've used way back in the day before I found there were better ways to clean brass.

Like what?? I’ve been using Dillons brass cleaner but I hate ordering online.

I have used it for a long time.  I read long ago to let it run in the media for 5 minutes or so before adding brass to let the ammonia evaporate.  Works well, easy to find, never a problem.

But I don't like Brasso too much for hand polishing brass stuff.  It works but gets into crevices.  I prefer Nev-R-Dull for those things.  It has occurred to me to pull out a few big tufts of it and put them in with the corncob/walnut mix to see what happens but I never think of it at the time.

Reloaded commercially for 18 years for cas. I used Turtle Wax Polishing Compound. (liquid, not paste)

Got it from auto parts stores. About $7.00 per bottle. Ihad 3 tumblers running 6 days a week and use 1 bottle about every six months.

0007466001417_0_A1C1_0600.png

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Like what?? I’ve been using Dillons brass cleaner but I hate ordering online.

I've just quit dry vibratory tumbling and went to wet rotary  tumbling.  As a long time BP shooter, I also don't feel the need to have bright shiny brass.  In my vibratory tumbling, I simply used walnut media and a quarter of a paper towel to keep dust to a minimum.

9 hours ago, Cliff Hanger #3720LR said:

Reloaded commercially for 18 years for cas. I used Turtle Wax Polishing Compound. (liquid, not paste)

Got it from auto parts stores. About $7.00 per bottle. Ihad 3 tumblers running 6 days a week and use 1 bottle about every six months.

0007466001417_0_A1C1_0600.png

What I used for years, until I went to 'wet'.

12 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I know this has probably been discussed before but I can’t find it in a search on this wire, so..,,..

Does anyone use Brasso to clean your brass ?? Pros and cons ?

Much obliged , Rye 

Since when have you been interested in having clean brass?????
Your brass has always look like it came out of the La Brea Tar Pits!!!
--Laughing Dawg:D

8 minutes ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

Since when have you been interested in having clean brass?????
Your brass has always look like it came out of the La Brea Tar Pits!!!
--Laughing Dawg:D

Aha my friend that's when I was shooting that black dirty stuff! Now that I'm smokeless i like it nice and clean and shiny!!:P:lol:

As a commercial reloader, I used walnut for 3 hours with Turtle wax polishing compound.

Brass comes out clean and shiny.

There were those customers that wanted really bright brass.

Not a problem.

15 minutes in Corn cob media after the walnut would make the brass shiner than new.

No polish necessary at this stage.

Brasso did not work as well for me as Dillon’s polish.  Gummy. Both smokeless and blackpowder brass.  I’m using ground corn cob media in a vibratory tumbler, for 20+ years.

Archived